Elites vs. masses (as the drivers of patriotism) - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Ongoing wars and conflict resolution, international agreements or lack thereof. Nationhood, secessionist movements, national 'home' government versus internationalist trends and globalisation.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Who tends to be more patriotic – the elite or the members of the lower classes?

Could you cite examples of countries where the elite tends to display a higher level of affection for/interest in the well-being of their nation and states where it’s actually the opposite (or in which there is no variation with regard to the expression of nationalistic sentiments across the class divide)?

How has nationalism evolved through the ages when it comes to this particular aspect?

Are politicians, actors, sportspeople and other celebrities on average more or less committed to nationalist causes and less or more likely to betray their countries than the regular citizens?
CLR James wrote:Property-owners are the most energetic flag-waggers and patriots in every country, but only so long as they enjoy their possessions; to safeguard those they desert God, King and Country in a twinkling.

I wish I had something more to add. I think that's about right.
"...it is childish nonsense to say that a British government rules Britain! It is nothing to do with British government or the British people! The government of the world is the financial government; the power of money, and of money alone!" - Oswald Mosley

I agree with this sentiment; the upper echelons of society are, mostly, complete sell-outs with absolutely no national feeling. The working class are, on the other hand, attracted to the national ideal and of being a part of something greater than themselves.

All you need to do watch footage from a National Front, British National Party or English Defence League rally; the great majority of members are lower class.
Thank you for the interesting responses!

@Powerup, that’s generally my impression as well. I have also noticed that highly educated people and celebrities are less likely to badmouth their own country and display pessimism about it while travelling abroad.

@TIG, I tend to agree – it seems as if a certain level of economic affluence (especially in developed countries) is a prerequisite for true patriotism. Maslow’s hierarchy of needs is also quite telling in that regard. In many Balkan countries (especially prior to their liberation from Ottoman rule), members of the elite were well-represented in patriotic movements (though some of them opposed national independence and favored a retention of the status quo).

@Cromwell, yes, I think that England is a good example of a country where the masses tend to be more patriotic than average. Class divisions are to this day more pronounced than in other Western European countries or the United States and there is a gulf in opinion between the anti-monarchists and the elites when it comes to many issues.
I will write a more comprehensive post later (I promise). But for now, I just want to share this amusing quote:

"...patriotism among the affluent classes has amounted to sticking an American flag decal on the tax—deductible Hummer."
- Andrew J. Bacevich

Harvey Weinstein's conviction, for alleged "r[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

It is pleasurable to see US university students st[…]

World War II Day by Day

April 27, Saturday More women to do German war w[…]

I think a Palestinian state has to be demilitariz[…]