Extraditions - why do they care? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Ongoing wars and conflict resolution, international agreements or lack thereof. Nationhood, secessionist movements, national 'home' government versus internationalist trends and globalisation.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Relevant to international relations I guess...

Firstly, I'm not talking about really high profile cases like Julian Assange where it really would be a nuisance for the US to have him running around.

I'm talking about this sort of thing: where a crime is committed in one country, then the suspect escapes to another country, where they are duly extradited to back to the original country to face trial and sentencing.

So I'm wondering, whats the point? Why do governments bother with this? I mean, if a suspected criminal leaves your country and never intend to come back, why on earth would you want to bring him back? And worse still - not just bring him back, but to undergo a trial and possible prison time - all at taxpayers expense?

Just say good riddance to bad rubbish.
I think it makes sense because the criminal who has escaped to his/her home country may not exactly receive the correct punishment for their crime. More importantly s/he may completely escape prison if their home country is know for it's corrupt reputation. As you know, in certain countries the Police and even the Judge can be bought out. Justice will not be served. Who is going to be responsible for checking up or following the trial in their home country anyway? do we take their word?

I suppose this should not be necessary if the said country is trusted or an close ally of country the crime was committed in.
Completely agree with Fasces. Criminal justice should not be viewed in monetary terms. If someone commits a crime, they deserve to be punished for it, not let off scot free.
Justice knows no limits, not even borders.

Hold on.......wasn't Bin Laden killed outside the USA?
That is basically what Fasces said, no state should be conniving with crime, if so it would be an incentive to develop such activies once we know that we may not face punishment.

Look up for a guy called Beccaria, an illuminist philosofer, it may give you an idea why.
It need not be an extradition; there are many instances where the host government extradites the individual. Having outstanding criminal charges and entering some countries is a crime, even if they don't ask at the border.

And why shouldn't the government go after the criminals they've allowed to escape? If there is reason to arrest the person in the first place, should there not also be reason to keep him from returning secretly, or under a stolen identity and wreaking more havoc?
The death penalty does not discourage serious crimes. Similarly lack of it does not encourage serious crimes. Some of the least violent societies do not have serious punishment regime in place. Some of the most violent do.

Justice is a romantic idea designed to bring closure to the victims and families of said perpetrator. If there is no victim or associated relatives to placcate, if the crime does not affect other individuals negatively, then Justice is irrelevant.

Punishment on its own is nonsensical. The point of execution, of incarceration-at least in the civilised world-is to stop the perpetrator from offending again. This can indeed be accomplished by exile. Borders are controlled, if a criminal escapes to another country, he or she won't be able to get back. Then that other country gets to fund his subsequent antics and lifestyle. The country he escaped from is free from his or her nonsense, doesn't have to waste a single ounce of energy on what is essentially human trash. This is why penal colonies became a thing. Saves the state and society many resources that can be spent on healthcare, education, crime prevention; instead of on criminals and their empty punishment. Why is the concept of punishment on its own an empty gesture? Simple. The people hurt or killed by a violent offender, will not be resurrected.

Perps of financial crimes should be dealt with most harshly of all. They personally hurt the most individuals and they tend to be smarter than the average crook, rendering them far more dangerous than a passionate murderer/rapist being led by his or her emotions or genitals.

This is why I always advocate labour camps for the most serious crimes. Sadly this is no longer a thing.

Hmmm, it the Ukraine aid package is all over main[…]

The rapes by Hamas, real or imagained are irreleva[…]

@Rugoz You are a fuckin' moralist, Russia coul[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]