How could the U.S. improve its image? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Ongoing wars and conflict resolution, international agreements or lack thereof. Nationhood, secessionist movements, national 'home' government versus internationalist trends and globalisation.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
There are many on here who hate the U.S. (Igor, Rei etc.) Please briefly list 3-5 things that you think the government should change and try to be somewhat specific. Examples are; leave Afghanistan as soon as possible, stop funding Israel, and put an end to extensive NSA spying.
The decline of America's soft power can be attributed to tough anti-terror measures that treat foreign visitors as potential terrorist threats. Anyone who has visited America rarely hates the country and promoting tourism would ease international tensions and win hearts and minds overseas. It's thought that America's reputation as a tourist destination has suffered due to stepped-up post-9/11 security measures. Expanding student exchange programmes would also shore up America's image abroad and former international students often end up harbouring pro-American sentiment after they have relished the experience of studying in the US. But this strategy would not work in certain countries with strong anti-immigration prejudices, where international students are often subject to verbal abuse or physical assault.
Remove US military bases from most places in the world and dock most of the carrier fleets. Quit trying to project power(through the military) in an age where economic power is far more important.

Quit meddling in everyone else's affairs, especially politics. Quit being a bitch to large corporations.

Leave Israel to fend for itself.

Lose the US against THEM, attitude.
1. Change US foreign policy to one that is decidedly less interventionist.

2. Get a real health care system, like the rest of the developed world.

3, Become a world leader in environmentally sustainable technologies.

Some things you don't need to change at all, like Beyoncé.
1. Stop spying all of my electronic communications and actions over the web. This is a daily aggression and a trespassing of my natural rights, so stopping that would be the bare minimum.
2. Protect my private life further by enforcing severe restrictions over how your corporations can store, process and trade data.

But you will not do any of that because your government do not give a shit about my freedom, they're stupid pathological control freaks. If they weren't they would have never did what they did in the first place. You're going to destroy our private lives, and with it our freedom of speech and democracy, and turn industrialized countries into hostile pan-optical environments. I also expect you to spread e-voting around the world in order to manipulate votes directly. All for the sake of control.
There have been some good responses here, thanks. We definitely need to become less involved in world affairs because 1. It causes people to hate us and 2. We simply can't afford it anymore.

I agree that we should have less overseas bases but we should still have some. Would it really make sense to bring everyone in South Korea home?
Has it ever crossed your mind SO that people actually dislike America because of the whole constant warfare thing rather than for reasons of jealousy. Anyway why would anybody be jealous about not living in an oppressive police state?
First off, America is the freeest country in the world. Hell, we invented freedom. Which one of us still lives under the oppressive yolk of the British, who are actively striving to emulate 1984?

Also "constant warfare" is a pretty piss poor way to say "Thank you for being the World's policeman, America."
Has it ever crossed your mind SO that people actually dislike America because of the whole constant warfare thing rather than for reasons of jealousy. Anyway why would anybody be jealous about not living in an oppressive police state?

Has it ever crossed your mind Jessup that SO is trolling?
Yes, many times. But usually buried under all the trolling shite there seems to be an opinion.

Yeah, and that opinion is that he doesn't give a shit. And hey, I can see his point.

Btw, there is racism going on, but if you want to[…]

This is not the ideal place to put this, but it's[…]

more authoritarian than a stated anarchist , @Ra[…]

Who sells the most arms in the world? The Unite[…]