‘Roof knocking’: Israeli military’s tactic - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Ongoing wars and conflict resolution, international agreements or lack thereof. Nationhood, secessionist movements, national 'home' government versus internationalist trends and globalisation.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
BOK wrote:The IDF doesn't just use "roof knocking" to warn people it is about to bomb. They drop leaflets several hours, or the day before, telling the occupants to evacuate and attempt to call the building as well by telephone. It's plenty of time to evacuate, but maybe not to empty out weapon storage or move rockets. "Roof Knocking" is just the final warning, 10-15 minutes before the structure is bombed.

Except the article said:
The man the Israelis were aiming for was apparently not among those killed.

It doesn't sound like they were "clearing" enemy ordinance. It sounds like they were indeed gunning for enemy personnel.
In which case I agree with pugsville....it doesn't make much sense as a combat tactic.

Godstud wrote:The tactic is to punish the Palestinians. Collective punishment, it's often referred too, and it's a breach of International Law.

That's the impression I get too.
Usually they use bulldozers. But since they evacuated Gaza, bombing is a remote way of demolishing homes.

BOK wrote:For comparison, the US government hasn't taken any POWS since Bush was in office. Now they just drone suspected Taliban/Al Qaeda to death instead. No warning roof knocks either.

Because those are essentially ambushs of "unlawful enemy combatants".
Giving warnings would completely defeat the purpose of the ambush.

Besides, I thought Israel used those "DIME" munitions? The whole point of DIME bombs is to have very narrow blast radiuses, thus minimizing collateral damage.
Now, those CD who DO get hit by DIMEs suffer greatly I'm sure, but I guess it's a numbers game. Better 3 civilians horrendously mutilated by a DIME than 13 civilians killed with a normal bomb or something like that.
So you're saying they should just ignore the rockets being fired at them by Hamas? What a brilliant idea!

Not at all, a simple Hamas rocket launched in an openfield and hurting a bit of Israeli grass is enough to justify anything. Occupation, deprivation of human rights, human dignity, sovereignty and everything else including the cold murder of palestinian children.

Anyone with a different perspective should be ashamed of its antisemitism, really
So you're saying they should just ignore the rockets being fired at them by Hamas? What a brilliant idea!

There is a great difference between fighting back military organizations in power and killing innocent civilians, including women, children and seniors.
Godstud wrote: Right. What does blowing up a civilian's house accomplish?

If it's being used as a firing position, barracks, ammunitions depot, or is the location of a militant, then it is not a "civilian's house", but a legitimate target. And Israel has no obligation to give any kind of warning.
Hirdmann wrote:is the location of a militant, then it is not a "civilian's house", but a legitimate target. And Israel has no obligation to give any kind of warning.
So if there were a single IDF reservist at the Tel Aviv discotheque, it would have been a legitimate target, right?

Or even better, if he merely suspected there might have been a reservist there.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/4/22/no-eviden[…]

Victoria Nuland called. She wants her ahistoric[…]

As is usually the case, I am right. I was […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

litwin doesn't know this. What litwin knows is: […]