Should Israel attack hezbollah - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Ongoing wars and conflict resolution, international agreements or lack thereof. Nationhood, secessionist movements, national 'home' government versus internationalist trends and globalisation.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Israel is in a very opportune position strategically, Hezbollah is fighting in Syria, Syria is in the midst of civil war. In my opinion the IDF should attack Hezbolloah right now, this time go all out and put the Sunnis in power. This would further put pressure on Assad, and it would leave Iran with less units on the chess board. Then, strike Iran hard.
Oxymoron- What would be your end goal be though? If your ultimate intention was to take out Iran, it might be more practical to go for them straight away rather than go for a piece by piece dismantlement of other opponents. Previously, an attack on one of the states of the Middle East would have resulted in a concerted effort by the other Arab states to contain and defeat Israel, I don’t know if that would be the case now considering the preoccupation they have with IS. Your plan also sounds like it leaves IS and Saudi Arabia intact- I’d advise against that.
They're better off using the Mossad. Overt attacks will only tarnish an already tarnished current world view of Netanyauh's Israel.
Oxymoron wrote:Because, hezbollah is still a threat and still a useful tool in Irans bag of tricks. Its a good opportunity to deliever a crushing blow to Hizbulla.

Maybe so, in theory but they can't just launch a massive unprovoked attack. Right now the focus is on IS and many world powers wouldn't like it if Israel drew energies and attention away from it. Hez and Assad are enemies of IS and the latter might pick up the pieces if either or both go. Short term Israel might benefit longterm...I dunno.
How would more semi random violence and bombing produce a more stable region?

Isn't this the same sort of short sighted crap that the Iraq war was , won't we be left with an even greater mess?

If the end goal is reduce the entire middle east to some dark age of warring factions killing each other it kinda makes sense.

But I don't see how hotting Hezbollah or Iran in an aggressive strike is going to help. It will just sow the seeds for the next generation of crazy people with grudges.
Not in my opinion.

The eastern boarder with Israel is relatively calm, swapping Hezbollah for what would likely become an IS affiliate has the potential to destabilize this flank. Israel benefits most from stable governance, just as Hamas profited from Egypt's lawlessness in the Sinai so a variety of militants unfavorable to Israel would benefit from the toppling of the Lebanese government and Hezbollah.

Israel is better to stay neutral in the conflict and let Hezbollah deplete itself naturally against IS etc, who it is in Israel's interest to be destroyed as with all established regimes in the region.
Despite incurring substantial losses in Syria and being deeply entrenched along it's border with Lebanon, Hezbollah has been well-blooded in combat there, is possibly stronger than ever and I highly doubt they've neglected their southern front. And Israel didn't exactly achieve a walkover against Hezbollah in the 2006 war, so by all means, fuel the fire to little avail.       

@FiveofSwords Genes are heritable but phenoty[…]

@Deutschmania Not if the 70% are American and[…]

What confuses me much more is the question what t[…]

I said most. A psych prof once said that a colleg[…]