Conflicts Between States in Security Agreements or Treaties - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Ongoing wars and conflict resolution, international agreements or lack thereof. Nationhood, secessionist movements, national 'home' government versus internationalist trends and globalisation.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Hello All,

I am attempting to research a counterfactual in the IR/security realm. Basically, I am looking at how a nation may navigate relations with two or more of its allies or strategic partners that find themselves in a military conflict with each other. To clarify: if A is allies with B and C, what does A do when B and C go to war with each other.

Here is an example: in the Falklands War between Argentina and the UK, the US was in a "tricky" situation. It has security treaties with both nations (RIO and NATO). A similar example would be the Cenepata war between Peru and Ecuador (again, the United States was the third party).

Before delving into the counterfactual to develop theories/strategy, I was looking for other real-world examples. Unfortunately, I am having trouble finding more examples than the ones above, especially ones with different power balances (like a less powerful nation caught between two larger allies in conflict).

Can anyone suggest any other good examples? From any point in history or any part of the world. At this point I'm not picky.

Many thanks for your help!

https://twitter.com/ShadowofEzra/status/178113719[…]

Lies. Did you have difficulty understanding t[…]

Al Quds day was literally invented by the Ayatolla[…]

Yes Chomsky - the Pepsi-Cola professor of Linguis[…]