The right map of the world - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Ongoing wars and conflict resolution, international agreements or lack thereof. Nationhood, secessionist movements, national 'home' government versus internationalist trends and globalisation.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Prosthetic Conscience wrote:Huh? The vast majority of maps show Asia at the top. All the others in thia thread, for instance.

I meant a world map with Northeast on the top, like a traditonal Mercator but turned 45 degrees.
Prosthetic Conscience wrote:If geographic accuracy isn't one of your priorities, then maps aren't really for you. Maybe you want a list, or something. Resolution of what, exactly, if not geography?

I don't have a map fetish indeed. There are many kinds of maps for many purposes, geographic accuracy matters the most only if you want to use them to navigate. Your map is not really good for my purpose.

B0ycey wrote:The map was a metaphor PC.

Indeed, the thread is supposed to be about the world and how we should perceive it rather than maps.
Maps are not intended to be accurate or show the reality of world events. The different maps are used as arguments based upon what they are attempting to prove. Not much different from showing a graph.
When the internet becomes 3D, then the arguments may have some merit using globes. However, since 50% of the world’s population lives in 1009 metro areas, even a globe fails to show reality. 90% of the earth is nothing but minor settlements for resource extraction.
Prosthetic Conscience wrote:If geographic accuracy isn't one of your priorities, then maps aren't really for you. Maybe you want a list, or something. Resolution of what, exactly, if not geography?

Beren wrote:I don't have a map fetish indeed. There are many kinds of maps for many purposes, geographic accuracy matters the most only if you want to use them to navigate. Your map is not really good for my purpose.

B0ycey wrote:The map was a metaphor PC.

Beren wrote:Indeed, the thread is supposed to be about the world and how we should perceive it rather than maps.

The question still stands: resolution of what? Were you looking for a high-resolution metaphor?
B0ycey wrote:On maps, I am biased of course, but nothing looks right but the one I am use to with The UK in the centre. The others seem dominated by sea.

Which is how the world really is: dominated by sea (the Pacific, actually). But you'll always believe your basically irrelevant island with its inhabitants is the snowflake-centre of the universe. :lol:
Beren wrote:Which is how the world really is: dominated by sea (the Pacific, actually). But you'll always believe your basically irrelevant island with its inhabitants is the snowflake-centre of the universe. :lol:

I don't believe such a thing Beren. And yes the sea is dominant, but so what? As you say every map has an agenda. For me It would be to understand locations from my own position on the planet. It happens to be the UK. So that type of map is preferable - along with being aesthetically pleasing of course. I don't use them to deregard nations that I don't like because of poor choices they have made. That is your domain.
Thanks @fuser, you've really managed to increase the number of maps in this thread. :excited:

B0ycey wrote:
I don't believe such a thing Beren. And yes the sea is dominant, but so what? As you say every map has an agenda. For me It would be to understand locations from my own position on the planet. It happens to be the UK. So that type of map is preferable - along with being aesthetically pleasing of course. I don't use them to deregard nations that I don't like because of poor choices they have made. That is your domain.

Irony seems to be my domain too, although I'm not even British. ;)

As a matter of fact I didn't mean to disregard anybody, I just meant to point out that Western perception of the world with themselves in the centre is basically flawed. "Western" will be synonymous with "peripheral" soon.
Prosthetic Conscience wrote:The question still stands: resolution of what? Were you looking for a high-resolution metaphor?

Beren wrote:Yes, basically, I'd rather call it a model though.

Then I suggest your metaphor is appallingly low-resolution, so far. It has bugger all detail. It's about Britain, China and the USA.
Beren wrote:I think this is the right map of the world that should be used to analyse and interpret world events.

It's interesting to note how peripheral Brexit, the one of the two defining events in this era supposedly, according to this map is. It's a peripheral event on the periphery, so it's peripheral squared. From this perspective the UK is a remote island on the edge of the world seceding from the world, that's how big it really is.

On the other side the USA, under the so-called leadership of Trump (the other big event supposedly), is getting peripheral too as China's growing economic power is pushing it out of the centre, maybe this helps to put Kim's formidable diplomatic success in context as well.

How many threads/posts does Pofo have about Brexit/Trump and how many about events in China?

I am of the opinion, and have been for a long tim[…]

What Bible? :?: Trump is selling Trump Bibl[…]

@KurtFF8 Litwin wages a psyops war here but we[…]

Muscovite’s Slaughter of Indigenous People in Alas[…]