How Trump Can win the election outright - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Ongoing wars and conflict resolution, international agreements or lack thereof. Nationhood, secessionist movements, national 'home' government versus internationalist trends and globalisation.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Here is what he should do:

He should go on television tomorrow night and declare war on the Novel Corona Virus. Very seriously and soberly.

He should commit "whatever it takes" in funding and effort to create a vaccine in 6 months and an effective treatment into testing in 90 days with production beginning in less than 6 months.

He should claim that he will be personally "monitoring" this every day.

He should appoint an admiral of the US Public Health Service and put him/her in charge with all of the governmental pieces direct reports to this admiral.

He should use a declaration of emergency to find funds for this until congress acts to spend even billions if necessary.

He should couch this in the following terms:

Only the US has the scholarship, science and capacity to do this. We will, as we have so many times in the past, provide not only the best science in the world but, in his administration, the best leadership in the world. When we find the solutions to CV we will share it with the world to save lives.

He should immediately stand up American manufacturing to provide help to China in the area of drugs and medical supplies.

He should give, directly from himself, a report to the American people daily on progress. He should use military terms whenever possible and he should be seen running the show. He should be stern, purposeful, and very presidential on this subject. Whenever he is attacked he can fall back on his being a wartime president.

If he did this this he would rally Americans behind him in huge numbers. We love a challenge. We love the martial aspects of this. It fits our image to be the leader of the world.

This would guarantee him the presidency in 2020. And as a nice little side advantage, just might save millions or even hundreds of millions of lives worldwide.

He should call me and say thanks for the tip. I could write the speech for him in 30 minutes. IT can't fail.
Seriously, there are three factors that made me doubt whether this scheme works.

1. The United States has tighter border control than other countries, and apparently they have much lower infected numbers.

2. What if CCP refuses help? It's alleged that they had done that in this epidemic, and no one can guarantee that they would not do it in the future.

3. Why do common Americans have to help a regime which keeps antagonising their regime? In a less emotional note, this matter seems not in Americans' interest.
@Patrickov I agree with @Drlee and disagree with you.
This is not a problem for China or the US, it is a problem for the whole world, for all of humanity.

I humbly suggest to involve European experts also.
Thanks to our colonial past we have acquired vast knowledge in epidemiology and public health.
Ter wrote:@Patrickov I agree with @Drlee and disagree with you.
This is not a problem for China or the US, it is a problem for the whole world, for all of humanity.

I humbly suggest to involve European experts also.
Thanks to our colonial past we have acquired vast knowledge in epidemiology and public health.

I fully agree this is an issue for the whole of humanity, but I am not sure ...

1. Whether common American voters see it as such.
2. For those Democratic voters, whether this deed outweighs all the atrocities they perceive Trump had committed. Remember, the British voted out Churchill as soon as the war was won.
Drlee wrote:Here is what he should do:

He should go on television tomorrow night and declare war on the Novel Corona Virus. Very seriously and soberly.

He should commit "whatever it takes" in funding and effort to create a vaccine in 6 months and an effective treatment into testing in 90 days with production beginning in less than 6 months.

He should appoint an admiral of the US Public Health Service and put him/her in charge with all of the governmental pieces direct reports to this admiral.

He should use a declaration of emergency to find funds for this until congress acts to spend even billions if necessary.

Only the US has the scholarship, science and capacity to do this. We will, as we have so many times in the past, provide not only the best science in the world but, in his administration, the best leadership in the world. When we find the solutions to CV we will share it with the world to save lives.

He should immediately stand up American manufacturing to provide help to China in the area of drugs and medical supplies.

He should give, directly from himself, a report to the American people daily on progress. He should use military terms whenever possible and he should be seen running the show. He should be stern, purposeful, and very presidential on this subject. Whenever he is attacked he can fall back on his being a wartime president.

If he did this this he would rally Americans behind him in huge numbers. We love a challenge. We love the martial aspects of this. It fits our image to be the leader of the world.

This would guarantee him the presidency in 2020. And as a nice little side advantage, just might save millions or even hundreds of millions of lives worldwide.

He should call me and say thanks for the tip. I could write the speech for him in 30 minutes. IT can't fail.

That is nonsense. Your crazy idea is more likely to panic people than do any good. President Trump has been doing all he needs to do by offering help to the Chinese President and letting the medical professionals handle it from there.

There are problems with this. This kinda implies that NCov spreads all around the world with massive epidemics everywhere. In that sense, yes he would win the election. But if it doesn't happen then he will look like a clown and probably will loose the election. Europe will participate in this obviously and have no trouble with exchanging manufacturing and vaccines but i am not so sure about the rest of the world. Chinese accepting US/EU vaccine is humiliating, same goes for Russia/Iran etc
@Ter said: I humbly suggest to involve European experts also.

Absolutely. No effort would be even well started without the Pasteur Institute and there are many more.

@JohnRawls There are problems with this. This kinda implies that NCov spreads all around the world with massive epidemics everywhere.

Well it certainly could. But if he is clear about all of the possibilities I think the American people will be far more in line with this than for the October surprise next year to be a severe outbreak of a deadly disease that he did nothing to address.

In that sense, yes he would win the election. But if it doesn't happen then he will look like a clown and probably will loose the election.

Not at all. He will appear a leader in either case. The EU and even Russia will have no choice but to participate or look very bad indeed.

Europe will participate in this obviously and have no trouble with exchanging manufacturing and vaccines but i am not so sure about the rest of the world. Chinese accepting US/EU vaccine is humiliating, same goes for Russia/Iran etc

China will accept a vaccine or treatment in a heartbeat. They are back on their heels. Their manufacturing heartland is paralyzed and their people strained to the breaking point. How long do you think they can maintain this level of control before people do the unthinkable and take to the streets?

China has the overwhelming advantage of a huge army and totalitarian executive powers but there are limits to this. Besides. It is just a matter of time before all Chinese imports are banned. Then they are well and truly fucked.

And, by the way, if they start using US debt to pay for this crisis we are in for a shit storm too.

All Russia and Iran have to do is send helpers or offer collaboration (which Trump, as he wishes to be seen as a world leader, accepts) and they are off the hook.

I can't think of a worse way to approach this.

Once he "declares war" on the virus he, as the leader of the most powerful nation on the planet, assumes responsibility for defeating it. If he doesn't (and let's be honest, that would be entirely possible) then he's criticized for wasting millions, or "even billions" on a fight he failed to win.

If it worked, I can't imagine him losing in November.

But that's a pretty big "if".
BigSteve-3 wrote:
I can't think of a worse way to approach this.

Once he "declares war" on the virus he, as the leader of the most powerful nation on the planet, assumes responsibility for defeating it. If he doesn't (and let's be honest, that would be entirely possible) then he's criticized for wasting millions, or "even billions" on a fight he failed to win.

If it worked, I can't imagine him losing in November.

But that's a pretty big "if".

US has history of spending trillions for big projects (especially when they are wasted).
How many trillions more can the american people afford?
Groom wrote:How many trillions more can the American people afford?

This question is wrong in at least three aspects.

1. The "trillion" is little more than a figure. Most people's livelihood are no longer affected by where the trillions are spent.
2. Human history is not a linear progress. Innovation involves countless failures, even to the scale of trillions. Asking this question effectively makes you sound like a Chinese, whose civilization collapsed exactly because of their conservative mindset.
3. In some sense, spending trillions in "failed projects" keep thousands if not millions of people going. Unless you believe they are Lebensunwerten Leben, but I believe the number of such people in the United States is low.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

...We have bottomless pockets and Russia does not[…]

@Godstud What is going to change? I thought t[…]

4 foot tall Chinese parents are regularly giving […]

Seeing that this place is filled to the brim with […]