US and Israel's despicable voting record in UN - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Ongoing wars and conflict resolution, international agreements or lack thereof. Nationhood, secessionist movements, national 'home' government versus internationalist trends and globalisation.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Go here: http://srch1.un.org/plweb-cgi/fastweb?s ... etCookie=1

Scroll down nearer to the bottom of the page.

Came across this quite randomly. It shows just how much Israel and the US are acting alone to ensure Palestinians remain oppressed.

Important Stuff:
1) The title of the vote - underneath is a brief description
2) US and Israel

PS, I think the Federated States of Micronesia and the Marshall Islands used to be run by the US, which would explain their voting record - following the boss.
By Seamus Warren
This thread is about the United Nations or just Britain and America's voting record? The United Nations is used by the Arabs to undermine Israel.

THE U.N.'s RECORD VIS A VIS ISRAEL

Prior to the Madrid Conference, of '91, the office of Prime Minister Yitzhak Shamir commissioned Shai Ben-Tekoa to do a statistical analysis of U.N. voting vis a vis Israel. The following is a summary of Mr. Ben-Tekoa's research.

Summary

Security Council:
175 Total Resolutions
74 Neutral
4 Against the perceived interests of an Arab state or body
97 Against Israel

General Assembly:
Cumulative Number of Votes cast with/for Israel: 7,938.
Cumulative Number of Votes cast against Israel: 55,642.

Shai Ben-Tekoa's detailed report is here:
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/engli ... israel.htm
By CasX
Seamus Warren wrote:This thread is about the United Nations or just Britain and America's voting record? The United Nations is used by the Arabs to undermine Israel.

THE U.N.'s RECORD VIS A VIS ISRAEL

Prior to the Madrid Conference, of '91, the office of Prime Minister Yitzhak Shamir commissioned Shai Ben-Tekoa to do a statistical analysis of U.N. voting vis a vis Israel. The following is a summary of Mr. Ben-Tekoa's research.

Summary

Security Council:
175 Total Resolutions
74 Neutral
4 Against the perceived interests of an Arab state or body
97 Against Israel

General Assembly:
Cumulative Number of Votes cast with/for Israel: 7,938.
Cumulative Number of Votes cast against Israel: 55,642.

Shai Ben-Tekoa's detailed report is here:
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/engli ... israel.htm

That is tremendous, it shows just how much WORLD SUPPORT there is for the Palestinian cause, and how much feeling there is that Israel's illegal occupation is not right and must be ended. You will notice in my link that the votes were on things like AID to REFUGEES. Israel voted against or abstained on every single occasion. Also, on every single occasion Israel was heavily defeated. Is this some world-wide anti-Zionist conspiracy? Or is it simply what almost every single nation in the world considers to be right? Giving aid to Palestinian refugees ins't going to help my nation much, but we still voted for it. Could it possibly have been moral?

Israel is an apartheid state that is, according to Nelson Mandela, worse than the one blacks faced in South Africa. It has weapons of mass destruction, has violated more United Nations resolutions than Iraq for more than four decades, and has attacked and invaded every one of its neighbours.

Please answer for that, if you feel so strongly that Israel is right in what they do.
By Seamus Warren
UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan, speaking to the American Jewish Committee in December 1999, said:
"I know that to some of you in this audience, and to the Jewish community at large, it sometimes seems that the United Nations served all the world's peoples but one: the Jews."

The organisation that gave the international legal impetus to the creation of the State of Israel has become the largest single bureaucracy promoting the interests of the "Palestinian" Arabs against Israel, with no balanced concept of justice or morality or reasonable rules of evidence or procedure. The "Palestinian" Arabs, supported by other countries with anti-American agendas (almost all of them totalitarian governments), have come to view the UN as an invaluable political tool, much to the long-term detriment of the United Nations and the high hopes for its role in world affairs.

Unfortunately, an alliance between Arab states, third-world countries hostile to the developed world, and Cold War politics backed by the former Soviet Union, have created a UN environment that is uniquely hostile to Israel. While Tibet, Cambodia, Rwanda and other world problem areas have come and gone, often without significant comment or action by the UN, Israel has been repeatedly targeted, investigated, denounced, and condemned by one-sided UN agencies or committees with no scintilla of objectivity while at the same time Israel has been denied full participation in UN functions. Meanwhile, nations with horrible human rights violations such as Iraq, Libya, Iran, Afghanistan, and Syria have escaped criticism from any UN forum.

MYTH
"Israel's failure to implement UN resolutions is a violation of international law."

FACT
UN resolutions are documents issued by political bodies and need to be interpreted in light of the constitution of those bodies. They represent the political viewpoints of those who support them rather than embodying any particular legal rules or principles. Resolutions can have moral and political force when they are perceived as expressing the agreed view of the international community, or the views of leading, powerful and respected nations.

The UN Charter (Articles 10 and 14) specifically empowers the General Assembly to make only nonbinding "recommendations." Assembly resolutions are only considered binding in relation to budgetary and internal procedural matters.

The legality of Security Council resolutions is more ambiguous. It is not clear if all Security Council resolutions are binding or only those adopted under Chapter 7 of the Charter.15 Under Article 25 of the Charter, UN member states are obligated to carry out "decisions of the Security Council in accordance with the present Charter," but it is unclear which kinds of resolutions are covered by the term "decisions." Regardless, it would be difficult to show that Israel has violated any Security Council resolutions on their wording and the Council has never sanctioned Israel for noncompliance.
By Proctor
I won't get into Seamus' post, but CasX, do you realise that New Zealand abstained on one of those resolutions, and voted against another?

It's also interesting to note the two paragraphs devoted to Tokelau. It says in what could be considered a warning to New Zealand that we are expected to honor our promise to support Tokelauan independence. This is interesting, since we were taught in history only last year that Tokelau do not seek independence, leaving me wondering just how much faith we put in this paper. Seeing as it does not go into specifics, I could be wrong, but I just felt it should be mentioned.
By Hate Your State
Zionists are possibly some of the most terrifying religious/political fundamentalists this world is currently threatened by.
By Seamus Warren
Hate Your State wrote:Zionists are possibly some of the most terrifying religious/political fundamentalists this world is currently threatened by.
Howcome? What did they do that is terrifying?
By Proctor
I see nothing terrifying about Zionists. There was one at SE (can't remember his name, sorry if he is here) who was very reasonable about it, and willing to explain in a mature manner why he felt that way.
By Efrem Da King
Hate Your State wrote:Zionists are possibly some of the most terrifying religious/political fundamentalists this world is currently threatened by.

Yeah cause they launch constant terror attacks aimed at killing school children. Wait no they don't.

Thats right cause all zionists are extremeist who'll do anything to get there way. Wait no scratch that.

Because they are a minority who use religion as an excuse for hate driven violence. Yet again not true.

But guess who fits all these, thats right everybodies favourite extremeists the palestinian terror groups. Did you even think about what you said before you said it hate your state? Did you think how idiotic and bigoted your statment was?
By judemeyer
CASX,

What you wrote is so true.

Most supporters of Israel only see the U.N. as hostile to Israel.

What they fail to understand is that just as the U.N. railed against Apartheid in South Africa, it is railing against the occupation of the West Bank. They simply cannot see that.

The nations and their people of this world have spoken many times and quite loudly: It is time for Israel to withdraw from the West Bank.

How in the hell can supporting a Palestinian State be anti-Semitic?

The reason why there have been so many resolutions against Israel has nothing to do with the Arabs, their money or a global thirst for oil.

It has to do with the majority of the people on this planet siding with an aggrieved and oppressed people whose sufferings are clear to any normal thinking person.

This does not mean I support suicide attacks or terrorism. I deplore both.

But I will never support a heavily armed country stooping to near genocide to steal land or another country's natural resources.

Didn't we put people on trial for that at Nuremburg?

The only people creating an unsafe situation on c[…]

how 'the mismeasure of man' was totally refuted.[…]

I saw this long opinion article from The Telegraph[…]

It very much is, since it's why there's a war in t[…]