Russian Losses in Chechen conflict as of June 3, 2003 - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Ongoing wars and conflict resolution, international agreements or lack thereof. Nationhood, secessionist movements, national 'home' government versus internationalist trends and globalisation.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Tovarish Spetsnaz
No...you don't understand.

Yes Indians WERE a nation in the US. They no longer are becasue their numbers are very small...they are borken up and for the most part have dissapeared culturally, lingustically and so forth.

Chechens...are there in large numbers and constitute the vast majority of the land...and have always been there. They have their culture and language intact. Simply becasue the Russians invaded them and ruled over them...doesn't make them any less of a nation.
By unPerson1
Yes Indians WERE a nation in the US. They no longer are becasue their numbers are very small...they are borken up and for the most part have dissapeared culturally, lingustically and so forth.

Right, tell that to them in 1650, when the Europeans were only around for a little while. They were still concentrated in terms of language, culture, etc. Chechnya is very similar, but 350 years later.

Nations are invaded, annexed, and they eventually stop being nations. Accept it, it happens. Fair? Sometimes no, but that's the way things work.
By Tovarish Spetsnaz
You make absolutely no sense Person...
By unPerson1
The fact that you choose to ignore what I say confirms that I'm making too much sense for you, "Tovarish".
By Tovarish Spetsnaz
Hmm...excuse me...you say the Chechens DO have a nation today...becasue they are 250 years behind the Indians. So than what's your point?? They should wait 350 years first...then see if they still constitute a nation?? Brilliant...thats why you make no sense...you have no point.
By unPerson1
Hmm...excuse me...you say the Chechens DO have a nation today...becasue they are 250 years behind the Indians. So than what's your point?? They should wait 350 years first...then see if they still constitute a nation?? Brilliant...thats why you make no sense...you have no point.

That's a horrible interpretation of what I said.

You said:

You said that they have dissapeared, which is why they deserve to get their land back less then the Chechens. Well, 300 years ago, they were still there is fairly large numbers, and nobody gave them back their land. Now they have dissapeared, and you're saying that because they did, it's ok to keep their land.
By that same logic, it would be ok to keep Chechen land for now (the American colonists did, so why not the Russians?), and wait for 300 years. You're saying that after those three centuries, and after they are dispersed with little sense of national pride, it would be ok to keep Chechnya as part of Russia.

Just because it's happening now doesn't mean it's any different.
By naked_turk
Just because the Americans did it too, it's OK? Spetsnaz is right, you don't make any sense...

No matter what I say you probably won't listen, because obviously you're justifying the opression of Chechens with your nationalist prejudice and nothing more. All I can suggest is put yourself in the shoes of a Chechen... and think what you would want to do to Russians like you who that want to bomb them off the face of the planet.
By unPerson1
No matter what I say you probably won't listen, because obviously you're justifying the opression of Chechens with your nationalist prejudice and nothing more.

I had nothing against the Chechens, not until they started bombing our capital. Instead of doing that, the people should have allied with Russia to destroy the terrorists, and then worked together to create a prosperous region. Despite Russia's sad condition right now, they probably couldn't do better if they became a seperate nation.

All I can suggest is put yourself in the shoes of a Chechen... and think what you would want to do to Russians like you who that want to bomb them off the face of the planet.

What's the point in that? As far as I'm concerned, the terrorists deserve to get shot. If I was the mastermind behind the Moscow bombings, I would hate myself.

It is unfortunate that the innocent civilians are being hurt, but they need to help the Federal troops find the terrorists. Since they help hide them, they are part of the problem.

you don't make any sense...

No matter what I say you most certainly won't listen, because obviously you are justifying the bombing of innocent civilians in Moscow by your incessant need to "free" everyone for no reason whatsoever, nothing more. All I can suggest is put yourself in the shoes of a Russian...and think what you would want to do to Chechens that just took over a theater you are in and are threatening to blow it up.
By Maxim Litvinov
Acutally, many of the Russian people in the theatre felt sympathy for the Chechen cause. Which is quite strange really.

Russia basically took control of the Chechen region in the 19th century. So, Russia actually had control of Poland from an earlier date than it did Chechnya.

Under the Soviet Union, the Chechen-Ingushetian population was granted a fair degree of autonomy, considering the circumstances.

And, finally, with the collapse of the USSR, you have a majority of people in that region wanting to secede from Russia.

The democratic and proper thing to do is to grant the territories the right to vote on secession and if it is accepted, to grant them independence.

The reason that won't happen, is because the Russian government knows it won't be particularly popular with the Russian people, who are buoyed by traditional Great Russian chauvinism - and because they themselves have 'strategic interests' in the region.

I can understand people not appreciating Chechen terrorists. But the easiest way to end the conflict, and to be democratic, is to grant the Chechens the option of independence.
By Antihero
I can understand people not appreciating Chechen terrorists. But the easiest way to end the conflict, and to be democratic, is to grant the Chechens the option of independence.

As I said it before they failed it miserably. They were given a chance to be inependent, but you know... They're too aggresive.
By The One.
Maxim Litvinov wrote:Acutally, many of the Russian people in the theatre felt sympathy for the Chechen cause. Which is quite strange really.
Stockholm syndrome,makes you feel sympathy for your agressor when taken into an hostage situation.For some reason,it never occurs under different circunstances People are weird. :eek:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1781393888227311712

I like what Chomsky has stated about Manufacturin[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

...The French were the first "genociders&quo[…]

A gentle tongue speaks many languages.. :lol:[…]