Aliens - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Theories and happenings too odd for the main forums.
By liberalist
MosesWasALibertarian wrote:But if the universe is finite, that leads to another question, when the universe stops, what else is there? Another universe? Another dimenson?

Milk.

Really, though the universe is finite it has no "ends" as such. To explain it properly would require going into the relationship between space and time. It is a simliar question to "what was before the big bang". Simply put, there was nothing before the big bang. Space and time both began at the big bang.
By U-235
liberalist wrote:Really, though the universe is finite it has no "ends" as such. To explain it properly would require going into the relationship between space and time. It is a simliar question to "what was before the big bang". Simply put, there was nothing before the big bang. Space and time both began at the big bang.

Willhelm, you are incorrect in my mind. Space can be defined as an area with unique dimensions, pure nothingness would have no dimensions. The area outside of our space would be of higher dimensional properties.

THN: popular theories propose that we are merely a 3 dimensional sliver in a 4 dimensional bulk (disregarding tiny curled up dimensions). These theories also claim that there are other slivers floating around the bulk. These other slivers or alternate universes are separates by no more than the width of a proton from us. Every trillion years or so, we collide with another sliver, releasing huge amounts of energy (you do the kinetic energy calculations ) explaining things such as the big bang. I am a little fuzzy on the specifics.

Another interesting bit of information is that the only thing that can travel through the 4 dimensional bulk between universes, is the graviton, explaining why gravity is so week, because it is being seeped into a higher dimension. Cool eh?

edit:
you are exhibiting a force through a higher dimensional bulk into another universe.
By liberalist
U-235 wrote:Willhelm, you are incorrect in my mind. Space can be defined as an area with unique dimensions, pure nothingness would have no dimensions. The area outside of our space would be of higher dimensional properties.

THN: popular theories propose that we are merely a 3 dimensional sliver in a 4 dimensional bulk (disregarding tiny curled up dimensions). These theories also claim that there are other slivers floating around the bulk. These other slivers or alternate universes are separates by no more than the width of a proton from us. Every trillion years or so, we collide with another sliver, releasing huge amounts of energy (you do the kinetic energy calculations ) explaining things such as the big bang. I am a little fuzzy on the specifics.

Another interesting bit of information is that the only thing that can travel through the 4 dimensional bulk between universes, is the graviton, explaining why gravity is so week, because it is being seeped into a higher dimension. Cool eh?

edit:
you are exhibiting a force through a higher dimensional bulk into another universe.

That is one theory. THere are others. String theory I dont understand very much so I cant really describe it in an adequate way on a forum. But I do find the "alternate universe" theory quite compelling because of its links to quantum thoery and the uncertainty principle. But regardless, that does not answer the question about the "edge" of the universe. Its not like you can travel to the edge of this universe and then arrive at an alternate one.

NOTE: My understanding of this kind of physics is limited to only my own readings. I did study one year of physics at university but it only touched very breifly on quatum physics and general relativity. I wish I knew more about it because it really is fasanating stuff, mind boggling though.
By joe
but if space leads so far, it would be impossible to explore.

How long did it take to reach Mars? 5years :\ or was it longer??
By U-235
liberalist wrote: I do find the "alternate universe" theory quite compelling because of its links to quantum thoery and the uncertainty principle.

I did not know they were ever detached from each other.

But regardless, that does not answer the question about the "edge" of the universe. Its not like you can travel to the edge of this universe and then arrive at an alternate one.

I agree, because you can not traverse the space in the higher dimensional bulk. We are like 2 dimensional figures trapped on the surface of a sphere
By liberalist
U-235 wrote:
liberalist wrote: I do find the "alternate universe" theory quite compelling because of its links to quantum thoery and the uncertainty principle.

I did not know they were ever detached from each other.

Ah yes sorry, I worded that quite poorly. Of course they are not detatched

We are like 2 dimensional figures trapped on the surface of a sphere

That is a very good description of it.
By Comrade Ogilvy
What I find equally fascinating is the very matter we are made from. Just how far down the line do the quarks go? How many particles compose all of these exotic fundamental particles. I believe they have discovered 20-30 so far.
By Attila The Nun
That leads to more questions, though. Like maybe if there was a way possible to travel though other dimensions, maybe things like 2-D dimensions really exist.
By liberalist
MosesWasALibertarian wrote:That leads to more questions, though. Like maybe if there was a way possible to travel though other dimensions, maybe things like 2-D dimensions really exist.

Yes, by the alternate universe theory I think all possibilities exist. INcluding 2 dimensional universes.

You can open the tweet yourself.

According to OCHA, imports of both food and medici[…]

Women have in professional Basketball 5-6 times m[…]

@FiveofSwords still has not clarified what it […]