The Missing Link Discovered! - It is a Pig. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Theories and happenings too odd for the main forums.
The Hybrid Hypothesis
A new theory of human origins

Read it and wonder. Humans obviously resemble apes in many ways and genetically humans are identified as being about 99% the same as chimpanzee. Yet phenotypically humans are really weird and different from all other apes. Those very different, indeed alien, characteristics present in humans but totally lacking in all other apes are however present entirely in pigs and almost no other animals type. Geneticist Eugene McCarthy, who himself looks more piglike than apelike, makes the very compelling and exquisitely detailed case that the wildly peculiar ape we know as homo sapiens came about as the result of the zoo-ophilic union of chimp and pig!

Eugene McCarthy - A pig-ape if ever there was one.

Seriously his theory makes wondrous good sense and solves all my nagging doubts about the weird apeness of humans.

Thank goodness, we've solve the mystery. I think I'll start treating pigs with more respect.

Now, when can we start mass producing apes for consumption? I could go for an ape burger. If not, I'll take the dog meat side dish.
mikema63 wrote:It ignores a lot of things and is very selective, it's largely an supported just so story.

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2013/07/02/the-mfap-hypothesis-for-the-origins-of-homo-sapiens/

What does it ignore? Is selective bad? Should he start talking about random unrelated topics so you won't say he is selective?

Also your blog post "refutation" has a suspicious amount of ad-hom indicating the author is operating under the influence of excess emotion rather than logic. The only actual counter argument he offers is:
Pigs and chimps are too different genetically to hybridise. This however is practically a just so assertion in itself and anyway McCarthy deals with that problem in his hypothesis.

The blog author also claims pigs and chimps wouldn't want to hump each other. However the fact is when animals get horny any hole is a goal.

Last edited by SolarCross on 25 May 2015 18:00, edited 1 time in total.
I take his point that a competing theory is always good. I find even aliens more convincing than this though. The soviets couldn't even get human-gorilla hybrids working and some of the examples like cow dog are unproven.

It does remind me of the original "missing link" theories. They also seemed seduced by the idea that humans must have had some unique or special factor. I am more drawn to the idea that we followed a more typical evolutiionary pattern. Being bi pedal with hands free, cooked food to save energy for our brains etc for the boost.
It requires far more than saying they are genetically compatible to say this theory makes since. Also they aren't.

Selective is bad, when you look at the stuff that fits your hypothesis but ignore the things that rule it out. This hypothesis is a favorite among conspiracy theorists and psudoscientists.
mikema63 wrote:It requires far more than saying they are genetically compatible to say this theory makes since. Also they aren't.

Selective is bad, when you look at the stuff that fits your hypothesis but ignore the things that rule it out. This hypothesis is a favorite among conspiracy theorists and psudoscientists.

So what rules it out? Apart from "ooh I don't want to be related to a pig", which is not so dissimilar to "ooh I don't want to be related to an ape" which early Darwinists had to put up with from their scientific peers.
mikema63 wrote:A pig has 38 chromosomes, a chimpanzee has 48. This makes it physically impossible to produce viable offspring.

So you dismiss McCarthy's hypothesis without even reading it! If you had you would know that your assertion is false.

I give you the Zebroid.
Donkeys and wild equids have different numbers of chromosomes. A donkey has 62 chromosomes; the zebra has between 32 and 46 (depending on species). In spite of this difference, viable hybrids are possible, provided the gene combination in the hybrid allows for embryonic development to birth. A hybrid has a number of chromosomes somewhere in between. The chromosome difference makes female hybrids poorly fertile and male hybrids generally sterile due to a phenomenon called Haldane's Rule. The difference in chromosome number is most likely due to horses having two longer chromosomes that contain similar gene content to four zebra chromosomes.[5] Horses have 64 chromosomes, while most zebroids end up with 54 chromosomes.

So donkey have a chromsomal mismatch with zebras of as much as 30 chromosomes compared with the 10 mismatch with ape and pig.

Seriously Mike you are sounding more like a priest defending revealed dogma than a scientist. You disappoint me.
That particular combination is extremely rare, you would need it to at least happen twice with opposite sex offspring and then a couple dozen more times to have a genetically viable pool. That scenario is astronomically unlikely.

Also note that in your own quote it says the females are generally poorly fertile and the males are sterile.

I would bet you have very strong feelings about DE[…]

@Rugoz A compromise with Putin is impossibl[…]

@KurtFF8 Litwin wages a psyops war here but we […]

[usermention=41202] @late[/usermention] The[…]