Company pays out excessive money for accidental death - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Crime and prevention thereof. Loopholes, grey areas and the letter of the law.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I was reading a story about a woman who worked as an operator for a drawbridge who made the bridge raise without first checking to make sure there was no one on the bridge, accidentally causing the death of another woman. The woman who was killed was a grandma, 79 years old, and a retired newspaper editor. The victim was riding her bicycle, and when the bridge went up, it caused her to plunge 50 feet landing on a concrete slab.

But here is the part I want to focus on.
The private contractor company that operates the government-owned span, paid the family of the woman who died eight million dollars to settle a lawsuit.
EIGHT MILLION DOLLARS

How much is a life worth?
Consider that the average lifespan for a white female in the U.S. is 81 years.
How much longer was this woman really going to live?
It wasn't like she was rich either, or had a high-paying job providing for a family.

The private company did not even own the bridge. It was owned by the city government.
The drawbridge operator was convicted of manslaughter and sentenced to 200 hours of community service and 8 years of probation, avoiding prison time.
Why should the company be financially liable for the death, just because they employed the person who accidentally caused the death?
Is it because it's a big company and has deep pockets?

This is just another example of grossly excessive amounts of money being paid out in a lawsuit.

The average lifetime earnings of a news reporter is about $1.5 million, over the span of their entire life and career.
How much exactly is an individual life really worth, if we're trying to put a dollar equivalent on it?

And furthermore, beyond all that, we can also ask whether the family really should get any money (other than perhaps for burial expenses). The family members were not the ones who suffered physical harm. The only woman who was killed is now dead and can't receive any money.

It happened on February 6, 2022 in Palm Beach, a wealthy part of southern Florida. The bridge operator was a black woman, Artissua Lafay Paulk, age 43, and the victim's name was Carol Wright.

Florida drawbridge operator, 43, won't be jailed despite being convicted of manslaughter
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ghter.html

I know most of the Left doesn't seem to care, just another excuse to make a "big evil corporation" pay out money to some of the little people who get lucky, almost like some sort of wealth redistribution scheme, even if it is practically in the form of a lottery payout. The mentality of "Life shouldn't be unfair" (well never mind the person or company who has to pay the money).

The world is a crazy and illogical place.

You can argue that the private company voluntarily paid out the money, but the ones running the company who made the decision were not actually the owners of the company who have to pay the money, and it is also very likely the company only paid the money because they were afraid that they might be forced pay even more money than that, if they did not choose to settle.
About these ridiculous lawsuits, some will say, "Why should I care? It's not my money. I won't be paying for it."
But you will be paying for it, in the form of higher prices and higher taxes.
Don't you think that these contractor companies will have to charge higher rates to local government if they have to pay out gigantic awards in lawsuits and are paying out (or even just run the risk of paying out) a huge over-the-top settlements? The taxpayers and local residents will end up paying for that, one way or another.
Do you really want to be funding a lottery prize system for those who are "lucky" enough to have family member die?

There is no "free" money. Money from one place comes from somewhere else, in the overall economy.

:lol: ‘Caracalla’ and ‘Punic’, @FiveofSwords .[…]

Background in English of Claudia Sheinbaum: @Pot[…]

The fact that you're a genocide denier is pretty […]

@Rancid When the Republicans say the justice […]