Legal limits to suicide - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Crime and prevention thereof. Loopholes, grey areas and the letter of the law.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Donna
Unfortunately for libertarian land, in the real world letting people kill themselves presents all kinds of liabilities. For starters mental health institutions are not divorced from traditional medical philosophy* and things like the Hippocratic oath. For someone with diagnosed mental illness, committing suicide is quite literally treated as a failure of medicine. Today that can often mean litigation if someone's illness was mismanaged by medical professionals and lawsuits over suicides have become more common in general as psychiatric medicine develops.

*Do not respond, Dak.
Daktoria wrote:Mmmm... no, if we do this, then we'd be claiming a right to prohibit people from taking certain risks. For example, the government could be entitled to test people before they go bouldering to make sure they don't kill themselves.
:eh: I do not mean government interdiction, either. I mean suicide prevention/education, and support for those who ARE depressed enough to commit suicide. Government, and hence THE LAW, should have no part in this, nor punish those who DO try to commit suicide(which is stupid).
Godstud wrote: :eh: I do not mean government interdiction, either. I mean suicide prevention/education, and support for those who ARE depressed enough to commit suicide. Government, and hence THE LAW, should have no part in this, nor punish those who DO try to commit suicide(which is stupid).

This feels formal and distant which doesn't really address the problem of why people commit suicide - a lack of holistic relationships.

A deeper philosophical approach is needed to make sure people aren't behaving with bad manners.
I think it should be fully legalised, including Assisted-Suicide & Euthanasia.

Almost weird that many people can't understand that some people don't consider the world worth living in, or want to end their pain quickly.

Kind of like banning striking; you can't go on strike because we're a good company who treats staff well. To say otherwise, like I will commit suicide because I'm a gay man who got beat up means you considered the police & broader society incapable/refusing to uphold laws & justice. Or Euthanasia statement that you have trust in your doctor enough to kill you if in a painful, cureless condition, instead of the rest of the medical staff. Lol, can't handle the truth it seems!

https://twitter.com/TheBigDataStats/status/1399589[…]

A man from Oklahoma (United States) who travelled […]

In Canada, Indigenous people have been harassed r[…]

That was weird

No, it won't. Only the Democrats will be hurt by […]