A full ban on guns? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Crime and prevention thereof. Loopholes, grey areas and the letter of the law.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By danholo
In light of the Norway terrorist massacre, some people I know are adamantly calling for an outright gun ban to be put into effect. I can't wrap my meek head around this notion, however. I don't see an immediate need for firearms at all. Even I "own" a gun and have no use for it or interest to use it. Of course I acknowledge that some people own and play with guns because its their hobby but what's the point? Hunting is also an issue where firearms are prevalent and people will want to carry on with this tradition. Having said all that, I am totally against "bans", maybe more because of ideological leanings. I just don't feel they work. On the other hand, I don't think people will need to rise up against the federal government any time soon in Norway or its neighboring countries so people could live without weapons. Is addressing gun control even wise after the attacks...?

But is gun control the answer? Or should the North raise its security awareness to another level because of this one incident i.e., arm guards with guns, and other more powerful self-defense measures. What is a correct measure? Is there any? Fact is we from the north are very much used to the fact of not seeing armed policemen and other security personnel. It's just not part of the landscape. What is the proper method of action here?
By Cartertonian
I'm sure the pro-gun lobby would argue that Breivik wouldn't have killed half so many people on that island if some of the folk there had been armed.

;)

I'd argue that if more folk were armed we'd have more incidents like this one.

But largely I don't go there...because it's a no-win argument.
By danholo
This is what I'm thinking. While it would be somewhat wise to arm someone, I think it would raise the risk quite considerably with gun related crime. Frankly there are a lot of weapons in the North but they aren't used extensively for crime. But what are the effects of such legislation? Is it more beneficial to pose an outright ban or would it be harmful in the long run?

Harmful to whom? I don't think hunting will be banned outright because the gun manufacturers wouldn't be the only ones affected. So... Should we care as "civilized" people or is there something inherently necessary about hunting?
By Daktoria
Why do you want the government to be the only people (legally) armed with lethal force?

Say I'm the government. I tell you to do something you don't believe is right.

I got a gun.

You don't.

Now what?
By ingliz
Although Breivik owned three 'legal' firearms, a change in the law would not have changed what happened. He used an unregistered illegally obtained HK416 assault rifle to kill the children.

:)
Last edited by ingliz on 25 Jul 2011 17:55, edited 2 times in total.
By Cartertonian
Daktoria wrote:Why do you want the government to be the only people (legally) armed with lethal force?

I got a gun.

You don't.

Now what?

You do as you're told!

:muha1:
By danholo
Why do you want the government to be the only people (legally) armed with lethal force?

Did I say that? I don't think I did.

I am trying to clarify whether my opposition to a gun ban is sane/insane. Just using PoFo collective brains for my brainstorming session.
By Fasces
It's ludicrous. The people have already given up, voluntarily, their economic sovereignty to the international financiers, and the last thing we should do is give up our arms as well, and accept servitude. Arms in the hands of the public are vital to prevent tyranny, and while their proliferation may see a rise in gun-crime, it is doubtful that crime figures overall, the only measure that matters, would change. Is it really better that in the UK people are stabbed rather than shot?
By Eran
I oppose government-imposed limits on gun ownership.

However, I believe it is perfectly reasonable for private landlords to prohibit or limit gun possession on their land.
By Repeat to Fade

I got a gun.

You don't.

Now what?

You also have tanks and fighter jets, so I'm fucked anyway.

I'm sure the pro-gun lobby would argue that Breivik wouldn't have killed half so many people on that island if some of the folk there had been armed.

But they could have been, Norway has legal gun ownership and it did nothing to stop this. Target selection was his greatest asset in committing this horror. Targeting kids who are always unarmed is always your best bet if you want a high level of casualties.

Gun ownership doesn't prevent massacres it just ensures that those willing to carry them out do so on the unarmed.

So the only argument you have left since it doesn't prevent tyranny against a far better armed force and just ensures children are targeted in massacres is hunting. Guns are useful to hunting, but hunting is hardly useful let alone necessary. Is it something worthy of protection a tradition worth keeping?
By ingliz
Gun ownership doesn't prevent massacres

No, it doesn't, but neither does a 'gun ban'. Daft as it seems, if you want a gun and know where to look, there are so many guns out there that it is easier (and cheaper) to buy a firearm illegally than follow the rules.

:)
By War Angel
Gun ownership doesn't prevent massacres

Actually, it does, and has, multiple times. Here's one such time:

[youtube]zWCE4zcGQu4[/youtube]

And there have been plenty of other instances where regular civilians eliminated the threat.
By Kman
Cartertonian wrote:You do as you're told!

:muha1:

These people would have loved you Carter.

:lol:
By Repeat to Fade
Actually, it does, and has, multiple times. Here's one such time:

Why if gun ownership prevents massacres do countries with gun ownership have massacres? In fact they even seem predisposed to it. You would think that if you were right (going to note now that you aren't) and gun ownership prevented massacres then countries with gun ownership would have no or at least less massacres than those without gun ownership.

And there have been plenty of other instances where regular civilians eliminated the threat.

And so our would be spree-killers decide it's far easier if all they want to do is kill people rather than specific people that children are the best targets, since they don't carry guns. This guy knew that all too well, but he isn't the first to have that thought.
By Cartertonian
Repeat to Fade wrote:Why if gun ownership prevents massacres do countries with gun ownership have massacres? In fact they even seem predisposed to it. You would think that if you were right (going to note now that you aren't) and gun ownership prevented massacres then countries with gun ownership would have no or at least less massacres than those without gun ownership.

Americans - for it is largely they who advocate for gun ownership - seem more tolerant of lots of little massacres than of great big ones that they far less frequently see happening in countries with stricter gun control. :evil:

You pays your money and takes your choice. You can live in a country where gun crime is more prevalent but has less impact (per event), or you can live in a country where gun crime is less prevalent but has more impact when it does happen. ;)

Cultural attitude to the deployment of firearms is another issue that cannot be ignored. Firearms are an accepted part of American culture and thus an American’s perception of the appropriateness of firearms use is fundamentally different from the perceptions of those from other nations with more gun control.

As an example, perhaps you would indulge me in an anecdote? I’ve told it before, so some may recall it, but it bears repeating because it graphically illustrates the cultural differences to which I refer.

The last time I was in Iraq, I was located at a very large American camp and airfield, in a medical liaison role. Fortunately for all concerned, I didn’t have much in the way of medical liaison to do. To occupy my time I used to help out the only other (two) Brits on the camp, who were the ground-handling team for UK Forces passengers and freight that used the airfield as a transit facility for onward movement – by road or helicopter – up to more remote UK military locations. Of both necessity and military fraternity, we mixed well, socially and professionally, with our US counterparts (although I did regularly visit the Aussies who were on camp for a bit of a break from total immersion Americana!).

I lived in the US Army part of camp, as I was attached to the Army Combat Support Hospital, but Rob, the RAF sergeant who ran the ground-handling operation, lived in the USAF part of camp. Most of his off-duty time was spent in the company of USAF airmen, many of whom were part of the USAF security detail, and he had close, friendly relationships with them. Thus, all parties were well known to (and well disposed toward) each other and each knew what the other did and why.

One day, the RAF Hercules – inbound from Basra with personnel and freight – was diverted from our usual ‘ramp’ outside the air terminal we used as the ground-handling team’s base, to the USAF-only ‘ramp’ at the other end of the main runway. Rob was sat, poised, in the cab of his 4x4 forklift truck, ready to off-load the pallets of freight (stacked to the rear of the aircraft) and thus allow the passengers to disembark. A USAF guy came running out of the air terminal to tell us that our Herc had been sent down to the USAF ramp and unhitched the steel cable that was used to bar access to the taxiway, so Rob could head off toward our aircraft. However, when he arrived at the rear of our aircraft he was suddenly surrounded by a section of USAF security personnel – all of whom he knew and who knew him – who levelled their M16s at him and screamed at him to get out of the forklift. They then had him spread-eagled on his face on the searing concrete, with an M16 pointed at his head, until one of the RAF aircrew from the Hercules came over and, after a heated exchange of views, sanity was restored.

Even afterwards – given that two of the security detail lived in the same tent as Rob – the USAF guys could not understand why Rob was not just upset, but apoplectic with rage! To his credit, he managed to restrain himself from the violent reaction he felt they warranted, but many friendships were curtailed as a result.

Rob and I talked about it – at length – at the time and were able eventually to laugh it off and restore some friendly relations, but we did conclude that this episode had been indicative of the fact that to Americans it’s unremarkable - normal even - to have a loaded weapon pointed at you in certain circumstances.

Clearly, if you come from a society where firearm use is accepted, it’s OK to abandon common sense, judgement and the intelligent application of discretion and be prepared, at least, to shoot first and ask questions later.

:hmm:
By ingliz
Cultural attitude to the deployment of firearms

Soldiers probably have a different view as to what is appropriate.

We were under strict orders that no one should be waved through a security checkpoint. At all times, a weapon covered the person attempting to pass.
Last edited by ingliz on 28 Jul 2011 06:17, edited 2 times in total.
By Takkon
Gun crime in the US is inflated by the utterly degraded parts of the black community. There is no indication that the prevalence of guns is contributing to the prevalence of gun crime, unless that means that if guns exist, gun crimes will exist, which seems sort of obvious.
By Chill
The idea that civilians can fight against the government because people have guns is just silly.
Takkon wrote:Gun crime in the US is inflated by the utterly degraded parts of the black community.

I would support banning only the black from owning guns. But since that's not possible, let's all drop it.
Takkon wrote:There is no indication that the prevalence of guns is contributing to the prevalence of gun crime

Of course not, when gun ownership has never been banned before...
By Kaiserschmarrn
Cartertonian wrote:Clearly, if you come from a society where firearm use is accepted, it’s OK to abandon common sense, judgement and the intelligent application of discretion and be prepared, at least, to shoot first and ask questions later.

To me, your anecdote points more towards a general difference in (military?) culture. After all, they did not 'only' point weapons at him, they treated him as if he was a confirmed suicide bomber although they personally knew him. The behaviour seems like a genuine overreaction or blind rule/procedure following. 'American acceptance of firearm use' might contribute, but it can only explain a small part of what happened in my opinion.

-------------------------------------------

Rate of Civilian Firearm Possession: The crude rate of privately held firearms, both licit and illicit, per 100 head of population.
Rate of Gun Homicide: The reported, or estimated annual rate of completed, intentional homicide committed with a firearm, per 100,000 population.
Rate of Homicide (any method): The reported, or estimated crude annual rate of completed, intentional homicide by any means, per 100,000 population.

UK:
Rate of Civilian Firearm Possession: 6.72 firearms per 100 people (2007)
Rate of Gun Homicide: 2006: 0.0818, 2001: 0.1914
Rate of Homicide (any method): 2006: 1.444, 2001: 1.76

US:
Rate of Civilian Firearm Possession: 88.82 firearms per 100 people (2007)
Rate of Gun Homicide: 2006: 3.3611, 2001: 3.12
Rate of Homicide (any method): 2006: 5.6211, 2001: 5.62

NZ:
Rate of Civilian Firearm Possession: 22.63 firearms per 100 people (2007)
Rate of Gun Homicide: 2006: 0.2213, 2001: 0.15
Rate of Homicide (any method): 2006: 1.1413, 2001: 1.16

NZ rate of gun ownership is three times higher than the UK's. Personally, I don't have the impression at all that NZ has a higher (violent) crime rate than the UK. For homicides you can see above that the homicide rates of NZ are lower than the UK's although a higher proportion of them is perpetrated with guns (which is to be expected I think). The US is an outlier full stop/period.
By Cartertonian
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:The behaviour seems like...blind rule/procedure following.

I think that's what it was...and I take Ingliz' point, too. But my point was that these young Americans couldn't understand why anyone would object to having a loaded gun pointed at them. Ingliz and co may have been ordered to point their guns at people - even if it was clear those people were no threat - but I'd wager they weren't all that comfortable with doing. As a general rule in the UK Armed Forces, we are taught never to aim a weapon at anyone unless you intend to use it.

So, in direct response to your point yes, it was blind, unthinking military obedience, but in my view what enabled that automaton approach was a cultural acceptance of the 'normalcy' of firearms use. :hmm:

They don't always, though. Ben and Angela Ihegbo[…]

Wishing to see the existence of a massively nucl[…]

As long as settler colonialism is a thing, October[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Speculation is boring and useless. Speculation is,[…]