Should there be a cap on the number of lawyers? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Crime and prevention thereof. Loopholes, grey areas and the letter of the law.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Potemkin wrote:We are a fallen, sinful species, Verv, and as such we need lawyers.... :hmm:

I do agree that we need lawyers, but why can't we simplify language in the legal world more and more?

I do not see why it should be generally uninintelligible.
Verv wrote:I do agree that we need lawyers, but why can't we simplify language in the legal world more and more?

I do not see why it should be generally uninintelligible.

Consider how many different Christian sects can interpret a single Biblical passage in a multitude of different ways. That's why effective laws require very precise language. Hence, we have this language often referred to as "legalese."
Wouldn't market pressures (if this term can be applied to law) ensure that the number of lawyers remains at realistic levels? Surely if there was an oversupply of lawyers, they wouldn't all be able to find employment or start a financially viable practice.
franfran wrote:Wouldn't market pressures (if this term can be applied to law) ensure that the number of lawyers remains at realistic levels? Surely if there was an oversupply of lawyers, they wouldn't all be able to find employment or start a financially viable practice.

True, but these pressures are distorted by
1) a culture that assumes those with a J.D. are set for life
2) law schools that will happily take in revenue without accurately reporting employment statistics

In addition, it'd be nice to spare people the potential to waste 3 years and 100k.
I agree that after a certain point lawyers become parasitic on society.

As with other such industries, the elegant solution is not for government to try and set a 'cap' on the numbers - a course of action plagued by many practical issues - but to tackle the systemic factors behind why we have so many lawyers in the first place.

This may require, for example, rewriting and vastly simplifying vast areas of law, and abolishing other areas. Many states, not least the UK, have tortuous and unnecessarily complex legislation.

Of course this requires a government with considerable will and willingness not to bow to pressure. It's also harder when so many lawyers are either in or good friends with those in legislative institutions.
Well the U.S. has the most lawyers per capita at 1 in every 265.

I'll say by the state rates it seems NY, Delaware and Boston city have some serious problems. The reason for D.C. being so high is blatantly obvious.

Since Montana is the greatest state there is, the cap should be 8.5 for every 10,000 people. And the cap should change according to population every 5 years.

Another Link.

It is not an erosion of democracy to point out hi[…]

@FiveofSwords , when do you plan to call for a r[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

There are intelligent and stupid ways to retain p[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Friedrich Engels once said, “All that exists dese[…]