Insanity Defense - Absolving criminals of responsibility - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Crime and prevention thereof. Loopholes, grey areas and the letter of the law.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Wolfman, they say "know thy enemy". Can I recommend reading the follwing two books, by Szasz, if you truly want to understand what Szasz's positions are and what they are not.

Antipsychiatry: Quackery Squared
More than fifty years ago, Thomas Szasz showed that the concept of mental illness - a disease of the mind - is an oxymoron, a metaphor, a myth. In this book, he argues that his writings belong to neither psychiatry nor antipsychiatry. They stem from conceptual analysis, social-political criticism, and common sense.

Szasz Under Fire: The Psychiatric Abolitionist Faces His Critics
Since he published The Myth of Mental Illness in 1961, radical psychiatrist and social critic Thomas Szasz has been the scourge of the psychiatric establishment, eloquently arguing against commitment of the mentally ill, the war on drugs, the insanity defense in criminal trials, Ritalin, homophobia, and other conventional dogmas. In Szasz Under Fire, experts who disagree with him explain their reasons, followed by Szasz's replies. Topics include the nature of mental illness, the right to suicide, drug use and abuse. An autobiography and bibliography of Szasz's works is also presented.
Talking with his followers is enough for me. They are pretty much exclusively morons who don't know the first thing about the mental health field. And that includes Szasz himself, whose position seemed to be based until his dying day on things that are shown to be not true in the first lecture of any course on abnormal psychology.
Wolfman wrote:Talking with his followers is enough for me. They are pretty much exclusively morons who don't know the first thing about the mental health field. And that includes Szasz himself, whose position seemed to be based until his dying day on things that are shown to be not true in the first lecture of any course on abnormal psychology.

You just can't help but support Szasz's views everytime you post Wolfman. It is very funny. :lol:

@Drlee Unlike @JohnRawls I don't think Ameri[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Startup in Muscovy : mother of a Muscovite soldier[…]

Got to watch the lexicon. Heritable is not a real[…]

The only people creating an unsafe situation on c[…]