Should it Really be Ok to NOT hit your child? - Page 7 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Crime and prevention thereof. Loopholes, grey areas and the letter of the law.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
dgun wrote:Do as you suggest? So you make suggestions to your kids and then they decide whether or not they follow your suggestion?

By using their capacity to reason?

Yes.

It's the nature of statistics. You say you don't extrapolate to all kids, but that's exactly what you do when citing statistics. The statistics you refer to are compilations of data, in this case data representing children, which is taken as a sample meant to represent all kids.

Yes, but the studies I posted show that not all kids react the same way, but the majority of them do. If we then, as you say, extrapolate to all kids, we conclude that the majority of all kids will react favourably to a lack of corporal punishment.

This is why I can say that I cite studies while simultaneously believing it does not apply to all kids.

Yes, and I've already posted about it.

I must have been mistaken. I thought you had only mentioned what sort of child would not respond to anything except corporal punishment. I di dnot know that you had also described a situation. Can you provide a link or a word I can Ctrl+F?

I never said anything about kids screaming and kicking and yelling and whatnot.

You're right, but I think we can agree that out of the two types of kid described, the one you described is more likely to act that way.

Your kid.

Again, not all kids are the same.

I have three boys. They all have very different personalities. They respond differently to different forms of discipline.

Under what circumstances would you ever spank your children? ?
Yes, but the studies I posted show that not all kids react the same way, but the majority of them do. If we then, as you say, extrapolate to all kids, we conclude that the majority of all kids will react favourably to a lack of corporal punishment.

So what's your point? You said you don't "extrapolate to all kids" and now you say you do?

I must have been mistaken. I thought you had only mentioned what sort of child would not respond to anything except corporal punishment

I never said anything closely resembling that.

You're right, but I think we can agree that out of the two types of kid described, the one you described is more likely to act that way

I don't know about "two types of kid described". I don't recall that.

If you mean strong-willed children are more likely to scream, and kick, and hit, than other children, no I don't think that is necessarily the case. I had never even considered such a scenario.

Under what circumstances would you ever spank your children? ?

Only in situations in which it is the most effective form of discipline, and necessary, as decided by myself on a case by case basis. Generally, it takes a particularly compelling case of blatant disobedience done in a spirit of defiance.
dgun wrote:So what's your point? You said you don't "extrapolate to all kids" and now you say you do?

I never said anything closely resembling that.

I don't know about "two types of kid described". I don't recall that.

If you mean strong-willed children are more likely to scream, and kick, and hit, than other children, no I don't think that is necessarily the case. I had never even considered such a scenario.

That's fine. I don't really feel like explaining it again.

Only in situations in which it is the most effective form of discipline, and necessary, as decided by myself on a case by case basis. Generally, it takes a particularly compelling case of blatant disobedience done in a spirit of defiance.

Can you give an example?

Rancid wrote:I don't believe that POD has kids.

It's a good thing that my argument does not rest on that.
dgun wrote:As a parent, I think it varies greatly with the child and the situation.

What joeylyics described in his first post however, is pretty much consider
ed abuse by any standard. Hopefully he was just exaggerating a bit to make a point.

Dgun...

No exaggeration here my friend.
He never did actually hit me with that 2x4 he etched my name into that hung high out of my reach in his garage... but he never really had a problem in using other methods that usually required a frozen bag of peas on my face or a bucket of Spackle to repair the wall in which I went through.
Ahh.... the good old days of learning lessons.
I learned them alright...
Most times faster than others.
Rancid wrote:I don't believe that POD has kids.

Rancid...

In todays world with todays corruption and todays back stabbing mentality... I never truely felt that it would've been FAIR to bring a child into this pit we call a planet.
If however I did become a loving father... I'd follow the same technique that my father taught me because I KNOW it works.
Studies show that most people who conducted these studies never had a hand raised to them when they were out of line as kids themselves to FULLY be able to give such an opinionated opinion.
That technique though seems to be spreading around faster than a bar whore with a crack habit.
Now that's an abusive problem.
joeylyrics wrote:Studies show that most people who conducted these studies never had a hand raised to them when they were out of line as kids themselves to FULLY be able to give such an opinionated opinion.

Well you could apply the same logic to people who were beaten as kids, because they never got to see the other side of the coin either :roll:
Well you could apply the same logic to people who were beaten as kids, because they never got to see the other side of the coin either :roll:[/quote]

Skeptic...

There is a HUGE difference in being beaten for something seriously stupid you did rather than the serious misfortune of having a damn drunk for a daddy who couldn't possibly control himself or his oun stupidity let alone his childs.
This is by no means discipline and shouldn't be mistaken for correct obedience.
Parents who forcefully beat their child because they had a bad day at the office or their crack dealer never made his delivery should be beaten to a bloody pulp themselves.
Let me know when and where...
I'll bring my 2x4.
Rei...

Due to the way people are just out looking to get others in trouble and deleted for just about anything on here... I did think it was best to jump back to the appropriate thread before another un-called for issue developed.

Studies don't mean a damn thing to me since end results can just as easily be bought like a hot dog and a cold beer at a baseball game.
Studies do however show that whatever will cause and create revenue regardless if it's right or wrong usually gets the green light in order to accumulate profits for those who are already filthy rich.
Children who wind up in trouble later on in life usually had little or no guidance at all from their clueless and careless parents or guardians which actually initially led them down that wrong path to begin with.
Exactly what the court systems and the justice department were counting on when they passed that "No Spanking" law.
More crime equals more coins for the corrupted crooks who call all the shots.
That is the bottom line.
Rei Murasame wrote:Well, you are simply wrong, you are even saying that you don't need studies. Show me a study that says that spanking causes long-term compliance.

You can't find one.

Rei..

I am NEVER wrong.
Spanking, slapping, hitting, punching and even being thrown through the living room wall for my disrespectful and careless actions as a young punk ass lad had led ME to a long term compliance.
There's your One.
I know it works because I was dumb enough to have it happen to me.
Those who don't really know and listen to others who don't really know either shouldn't waste their time on adding in their two cents.
Studies show that those who conduct such studies hadn't been in similar situations themselves to FULLY know for themselves.
Listening to them is like believing the words of a highly mistaken religious preacher.
Facts are simply covered up with fairytale fiction.
It became mans addiction.

I am NEVER wrong.[/quote]
Well, you are wrong right now, so how do you reconcile that fantasy with reality?[/quote]

Rei...

Being down a rocky road myself lets me be able to warn others about that bad stretch of pavement that noone is willing to fix.
Those who took a different route all together and is only used to smooth streets and smooth sailing will NEVER fully know for themselves how ruff a road could actually get until they take that detour themselves.
Gussing on how bad it might be is far from actually knowing.
Rei Murasame wrote:You went down that rocky road because your parents hit you. Mine never hit me, and I think I had a way better childhood than you did.

Rei..

Again... you are wrong AGAIN.
I went down the wrong path because I had chosen to get mixed up with the wrong crowd.
All of which was my own fault.
My father was the one who came to my rescue and had to forcefully make me see the light.
Not everyone gets a second chance and I believe my father had given me mine.
Something you just can't possibly understand because you were far from how I was as a teenager.
Again... guessing how it would be is FAR from actually knowing.
Do make a note of it.
BRICS will fail

BRICS involves one of several configurations emplo[…]

So you do justify October 7, but as I said lack th[…]

Not well. The point was that achieving "equ[…]

Were the guys in the video supporting or opposing […]