Obama administration - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Crime and prevention thereof. Loopholes, grey areas and the letter of the law.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By spodi
First I'll start of with I support President Obama. Second, has his administration broken the law? If so, which times in order of severity? Third, is it true that if the president does it then its not illegal? Fourth and final question, why did Attorney General Holder Resign?
spodi wrote:First I'll start of with I support President Obama.

Not sure why, but okay.

Second, has his administration broken the law?

Yes, but he's just following precedent.

If so, which times in order of severity?

Waging war without congressional approval is the first one that comes to mind. Using the IRS to target political opponents. Serially waiving portions of a law that he pushed to get passed. Those first two are, again, precedents that already have been established.

Add to those the cases in which the Supreme Court has ruled against the administration and you will get a better picture.

Third, is it true that if the president does it then its not illegal?

It's still illegal, but nobody cares enough to do anything about it.

Fourth and final question, why did Attorney General Holder Resign?

No idea, other than it's probably a quite different reason than was given publicly.
By so_crates
If the president breaks the law it's just as illegal as if a private citizen broke the law.

I doubt nobody cares, as congress has a few lawsuits filed against Obama.

I think the reasoning is more: Why bother he only has a year to go. By time impeachment proceeding start, he'll be out of office.

The other consideration, I think, is do we really want Biden to be president?
so_crates wrote:If the president breaks the law it's just as illegal as if a private citizen broke the law.

I doubt nobody cares, as congress has a few lawsuits filed against Obama.

None of which will go anywhere, that's what I mean by "nobody cares". American politics is above all a team sport; supporters will support their team, and demonize the other team, at any opportunity, and none of them care what the truth is.

Case in point: when Bush was President, and Obama just a senator, the latter waxed eloquently about how things like raising the debt ceiling and ubiquitous Executive Orders were due to poor leadership and unwarranted expansion of executive power, while Republicans didn't say a word. Today those roles are 180 degrees reversed, and neither "side" remembers when it was any other way. Because team sport.

I think the reasoning is more: Why bother he only has a year to go. By time impeachment proceeding start, he'll be out of office.

That's the practical reason, and it's a good one; why waste the time and money on it when it will be too late to do any good?

The other consideration, I think, is do we really want Biden to be president?

I find it hard to imagine that would be any worse. To quote Penn Jillette, "the president should have so little power that it doesn't matter who it is, instead of having so much power it doesn't matter who it is."
The problem more than anything is the degree to which the Obama administration's lawlessness, petty tyranny, bloodthirstiness abroad, and corruption serve as precedent for the next administration, pretty much who ever wins.

I think that this country has gone past the point of no return. Full banana-republic status is in our future within my lifetime. Something akin to Greece but on a larger scale.

I would bet you have very strong feelings about DE[…]

@Rugoz A compromise with Putin is impossibl[…]

@KurtFF8 Litwin wages a psyops war here but we […]

[usermention=41202] @late[/usermention] The[…]