Woman suffers abuse, starvation at Cowlitz County Jail - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Crime and prevention thereof. Loopholes, grey areas and the letter of the law.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Breaking News from Washington State -
from http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/06/2 ... ounty-Jail

On May 12, 2015 Davida Sanchez was arraigned and tried by the Cowlitz County District Court for child custody interference and contempt of court – sentenced to 30 days without bail in the Cowlitz County Jail. Davida suffers from a chronic spinal injury caused by a car accident several years ago, and severe food allergies and migraines which she is prescribed daily medications to treat. Little did she know that her month-long jail sentence would almost be a death sentence.
The Cowlitz County Jail is notorious for refusing medical treatment to people in its care. A prominent example is the period from 2013-2014, when 4 people held at the Cowlitz County Jail died due to lack of medical attention. It was also during this time that Ms. Julia Weed suffered a miscarriage in the Jail after being beaten by the Longview PD, and was denied medical treatment. Those abuses are far from isolated incidents, as Ms. Sanchez’s case will show.
As Davida was processed at the Cowlitz County Jail, her intake officer “Jill” was immediately abusive, shoving and pushing her despite being informed of the spinal injury. The officer then claimed that Davida was suicidal, and despite her protests, put her on suicide watch. She was taken to the “medical ward” where they put mentally ill people, stripped completely naked in front of the other (male) inmates and guards, forced to put on a green Velcro hospital gown, and then shoved into a bare cell without a mattress. She reports that “there was mold growing in the toilet and there was drippings on the wall from dried urine and the floors were covered in bodily fluids throughout the room.” She continues, “That was my first night in the Longview Jail… That’s when I realized that this wasn’t just jail, this was going to be something worse.”
The second day, she was moved to the women’s portion of the jail, “Cell Block C”. She was given a green jumpsuit, sandals, and her one pair of personal underwear and socks, which she could not wash. After the first few days, Davida began to feel sick and vomit repeatedly. Her requests for non-allergenic foods were ignored, and her medications were withheld by the med pass nurse. After four days of constant vomiting, and numerous attempts from her cellmates to get her medical attention, she was moved back into the locked down cell in the “medical ward” so that she would be secluded and no one else would be able to complain. She describes her condition:
“I was to the point where I was just exhausted, my ribcage was hurting from all the heaving, I had nothing left in me but bile. When I’d hit the emergency medical button, I’d be often ignored or yelled at…The prisoners in the cells on either side of me heard me vomiting day and night and crying out for help. They kept asking if I was ok and all I could do is beg to be taken to the hospital.”

Several days later, she was finally taken down to the hospital, the staff assuming she was detoxing. After being seen by a nurse, she was put on IVs and nausea meds. Her relief was short-lived however when she was taken back to her cell. She was shuffled over the next few days from cell to cell, eventually being placed in a portion of the cell block reserved for detoxing inmates. By this time, the meds wore off, and she resumed vomiting.
“I asked for a “kite” (a note to the staff) requesting medical help because the vomiting is back, though the migraine is gone I can’t keep any solid food down. It was refused soon after several guards come to my cell as though looking as though they’re going to rush the room. “Jill” was with them. She moved me to a “dry cell” (A cell with no running water or toilet). I was put on the floor with a 2inch “mattress” and a vomit bucket… The ceiling was covered in feces, the walls and floor had body fluids in …all I could do was vomit and curl up in the fetal position on my mattress waiting for the next wave.”

She was diagnosed with a UTI, but was unable to take the large pill prescribed to treat the condition due to her continuous vomiting. She was finally given Ensure at medical direction. She writes,
“I (was) weak, dizzy, having trouble walking, seeing, and can’t feel my legs below my knees sometimes off and on, having such a hard time speaking that it started to sound like a stutter. Instead of any of the staff noticing, I was just being made fun of for not being able to speak. My movement, speech, and ability to think clearly were deteriorating as my body was eating itself to make up for the lack of food, nutrition, or water. One day a guard came by with my food, threw it into the vomit bucket and walked off laughing as I’m lying there weak, exhausted, deteriorating, and extremely sick. My body was so cold that my fingernails, toenails, and lips were turning purple.”

Davida was not allowed to contact her lawyer, and she endured constant harassment and abuse from the guard “Jill”, who would bang on the door of Davida’s cell every half hour to prevent her from sleeping throughout her entire shift. At one point, she deliberately slammed Davida’s hand in the door, shattering two of her fingernails and splitting a third. Meanwhile, Davida’s health continued to deteriorate:
“My dehydration got so bad that my mouth would foam up when I would cry. Many times when I would ask for water many times I was refused now. I start to notice that my body is now developing a green discharge that smelled like death. When I begged for help for that one of the guards said “when you get older your body starts to make changes, you just need to get used to that…” I was supposed to get a small cup of Ensure 2 times a day and I was getting those two cups until one of the nursing staff refused to give me the evening cup. For several days I was living off of just one small 2inch cup of insure per day…I faded in and out of consciousness. I could barely produce 8oz of urine a day, getting gradually darker till it’s almost brown.”

A new guard took pity on Davida’s condition, and called the RN in medical, but the nurse was a friend of Jill, and refused to check on her. It was through this guard that Davida’s mother finally learned the truth about her condition, as she had been refused visitation by the Jail administration and was lied to on the phone, saying she was doing fine.
“My mother went to my attorney and begged for help. He came down to see me. I explained that since I was incarcerated in Longview I lost 27lbs within 3 weeks, allowed only one Ensure daily, my urine was dark when allowed to go to the bathroom once every 15-16 hours, and that I haven’t been allowed to take a shower in 8 days.”

Her attorney arranged an emergency release hearing after observing her condition.
Davida is still trying to recover from her harrowing treatment at the Cowlitz County Jail. Even as her physical injuries slowly recover, the psychological and emotional scars will continue to plague her for some time to come.
“As soon as I left the Jail I went straight to the ER to see that I didn’t have permanent damage, to get bags of IV drip. My own nurse was dumbfounded that anything like that could happen in the US…I never thought I would get out of there alive. I was luckier than another man whose death occurred while I was there due to negligence, and was covered up…I’m lucky to have gotten out of there alive. This is not right, this is not humane, and this is not justice.”

These horrendous human rights abuses at the Cowlitz County Jail must stop. Concerned citizens are encouraged to contact the WA State Attorney General, Bob Ferguson, and demand an investigation into the ongoing prisoner abuse and brutality at the Cowlitz County Jail and the Longview PD at: (360) 753-6200.
Interested parties and media can contact Ms. Sanchez at her email address for information regarding her story at: abbavida3@gmail.com
And? It's the United States of America, the worst of the developed nations (actually it is arguable it does not deserve to be counted as one). This is what goes on there 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year and guess what? The American public like it that way, if they didn't they would vote for someone other than the republicans and the Democrats.
Decky wrote:And? It's the United States of America, the worst of the developed nations (actually it is arguable it does not deserve to be counted as one). This is what goes on there 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year and guess what? The American public like it that way, if they didn't they would vote for someone other than the republicans and the Democrats.

To be honest, we live in terrible times. And worst thing people, the townsfolk. Their mentality, callousness, equanimity, cynicism. Such their made. Redesigned. Long endeavor, but remake. I notice even in the period of my life, people have changed very much. Of years 40 ago, people were far more responsive. And such things as compassion, outrage, justice enjoyed much more respect. Although we lived then in totalitarian society. (I living then in Soviet Union) Freedom was much smaller than today. And speak frankly can was not about everything. And speak frankly can was not about everything. And speak frankly can was not about everything. But people were better, comprehension. Rather there were more such people, a greater percentage. Evil has the property to multiply and expand. If it dominates, does its dirty work.
Gradually, all the best in humanity supplanted and get rid. And worst it as weed, growing on fertile soil. So it was that humanity has changed dramatically for the worse. Earlier western countries positioned a more democratic, where citizens are protected legally. США представлялись образцом свободы и демократии. US is a model of freedom and democracy. In fact, they seem compete with the Soviet Union to suppress its own citizens. As we have seen, even by the posts on the forum (and elsewhere) in the "most democratic country pravozaschischennoy" in broad daylight, excruciate and cripple people, law enforcement system lie dormant, or pander criminals, and surrounding "free" humanity absolutely nothing to notice.
What to do in such a situation? I think first of all we must understand that it should not be. And we must achieve, what would have understood it as much possible more people! The voice of the majority is much better heard.
I have been to prison and borstal for a total of 20 months over the last 45 years..and obviously I know the score.

The screws are capable of all manner of crimes because they can.

Putting a psychotic racist in a cell with an Asian lad knowing that the Asian lad would be beaten..infact he was beaten to death with a chair leg.

Arranging for all the prisoners to leave their cells so there were no witnesses, and two prisoners were then slashed up with a broken glass ash-tray.

Not helping a obviously distressed prisoner who was incarcerated for a driving offence. He hung himself in his cell near me.

A screw attacking me and then getting screw boys to beat me up, smashing my nose, knowing I would not grass up anyone.

The screws have the power, and they use it, it is a microcosm of outside. Foucault is right when he talks about a carcerial society..

The lady in question is lucky to be alive..

Also, the Russians are apparently not fans of Isr[…]

Some examples: https://twitter.com/OnlinePalEng/s[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I do not have your life Godstud. I am never going[…]

He's a parasite

Trump Derangement Syndrome lives. :O