Bicycles really do need to be licensed ! - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Crime and prevention thereof. Loopholes, grey areas and the letter of the law.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Elyzabeth wrote:IF they were licensed, they would also be required to have proper visibility equipment as well

That's already an obligation, we're obliged to use lights at nighttime as well as wear fluro/reflective jackets, etc.
Elyzabeth, I was actually hit by a bicycle while I was walking on a mixed-use path two summers ago.

He was going about 10 kph, and weighed less than I do.

So he hit me from behind, and then HE FELL DOWN and hurt his elbow.

I was unscathed.

Perhaps you are forgetting that cars are major killers, major polluters, and that their everyday use has killed our communities.

It's easy to forget these things when we have all been affected by billions of dollars of car propaganda, I know. But try to think beyond the irrational emotions that the car industry has embedded in all of us.

(colorful graphs below)

howiechong wrote:Risk of head injury per million hours travelled

Cyclist - 0.41
Pedestrian - 0.80
Motor vehicle occupant - 0.46
Motorcyclist - 7.66

What QatzelOk posted there, is a fantastic example of propaganda.

People who drive, PAY for it. People who drive also are the ones paying for public transportation and bike lanes, as well. Gasoline taxes, car taxes, tolls, etc. pay for those things.
Godstud wrote:People who drive, PAY for it. People who drive also are the ones paying for public transportation and bike lanes, as well. Gasoline taxes, car taxes, tolls, etc. pay for those things.

You have posted old wives tales on may occasions. This is one of them.
Facts. You just hate facts or "details", as you call them, that get in the way of your fabrications, and pro-cycling propaganda. You are worse than the people you speak out against, as you are the biggest hypocrite of them all.
Godstud wrote:Facts. You just hate facts or "details", as you call them, that get in the way of your fabrications, and pro-cycling propaganda. You are worse than the people you speak out against, as you are the biggest hypocrite of them all.

I don't hate facts at all. What I really loathe is the way certain, pre-selected facts are presented to promote a product or paradigm, but many more facts are intentionally left out.This is called card-stacking.

Card-stacking involves leaving out important facts. Virtually no newspaper has ever informed its readers that a car damages roads 9000 times as much as a bicycle does.

Why would they reveal this when they get so much money from car advertisers? Why would they tell us information that we need to make wise decisions? They aren't in it for our wisdom; quite the opposite, they are in it to create gullible consumers.
Last edited by QatzelOk on 31 Mar 2016 02:28, edited 1 time in total.
QatzelOk wrote:"Godstud"]Facts. You just hate facts or "details", as you call them, that get in the way of your fabrications, and pro-cycling propaganda. You are worse than the people you speak out against, as you are the biggest hypocrite of them all.
I don't hate facts at all. What I really loathe is the way certain, pre-selected facts are presented to promote a product or paradigm, but many more facts are intentionally left out.This is called card-stacking.

Card-stacking involves leaving out important facts. Virtually no newspaper has ever informed its readers that a car damages roads 9000 times as much as a bicycle does.

Why would they reveal this when they get so much money from car advertisers? Why would they tell us information that we need to make wise decisions? They aren't in it for our wisdom; quite the opposite, they are in it to create gullible consumers.

Criticism of "old wives tales" and talking of objecting to Facts ?.. sounds like a bunch of mush to me.. say something concrete !

Yes the cars pay for your bike lanes..

I knew a mother in NYC that was l killed by a bike.. no way to catch him though...

I think bikes are great HOWEVER they need to be licenced... so that they obey the rules, wear visibility clothing and are held accountable when they break the law !
More needs to be done to punish bicyclists, register them on a national system designed to monitor their movements, and discourage our children from adopting their risky lifestyle. The late great Rob Ford (pbuh) had a few words to say about this particular scourge on our streets and our children:

[youtube]xwxiv2aznB0[/youtube]
Godstud wrote:What QatzelOk posted there, is a fantastic example of propaganda.

People who drive, PAY for it. People who drive also are the ones paying for public transportation and bike lanes, as well. Gasoline taxes, car taxes, tolls, etc. pay for those things.

While the people who drive cars do pay for most road maintenance, most places subsidise road maintenance beyond that. I think the UK (because of the VAT) and certain very highly congested cities are the only places in the world where car users pay the entire cost of road maintenance or more.

In the US, for example, road user fees pay for less than half of the road maintenance costs.
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc ... ts/412237/
Of course most places subsidize road maintenance. Your food, and everything else gets to you via roads, and most public transport is on roads.
Godstud wrote:People who drive, PAY for it.

A few minutes of carbon monoxide fumes later, Godstud wrote:Of course most places subsidize road maintenance

I think the influence of propaganda is easy to see. It appears in the contradictory ramblings of its mind-numbed victims.

Propaganda works on emotions, not reason. So the "facts" that propaganda victims spew are often just fragments of the truth and lead to "opinions" that don't add up.

Elyzabeth wrote:I knew a mother in NYC that was l killed by a bike.. no way to catch him though...

How many millions of mothers are killed by bikes each year, Elyz? Because cars kill over a million humans every year, 4000 Canadians, 7000 French citizens, 40,000 Americans. More than all our oil wars (for gasoline) put together.
Godstud wrote:Of course most places subsidize road maintenance. Your food, and everything else gets to you via roads, and most public transport is on roads.

Who pays the healthcare costs for treating all the injuries and illnesses caused by road transport? Who pays to police the roads? Who pays for the environmental damage caused by road transport? Who pays the quality of life costs caused by noise pollution, congestion, paving of open space, etc.

If the roads were solely used by public transport and retail freight they wouldn't need to be 10 lanes wide with additional lanes for parking.
Bicycles are a bane on our society, promoting sloth, ignorance, and innumeracy. They are a symbol of capitalism, the exploitation of our planet's natural resources, and of technology. We must look past our own conflicting interests and think, first, about the children.
Godstud wrote:If cats could fly, there'd be less birds.

Elysabeth, is this a good post?

Bulaba Jones wrote:Bicycles are a bane on our society, promoting sloth, ignorance, and innumeracy. They are a symbol of capitalism, the exploitation of our planet's natural resources, and of technology. We must look past our own conflicting interests and think, first, about the children.

[youtube]8sFQM9zXztM[/youtube]
Last edited by QatzelOk on 01 Apr 2016 01:05, edited 1 time in total.
Talking about "what ifs" is what AFAIK is doing. I was responding in kind. You're a real troll today, Qatz. Moreso than usual. Did you not get your halal soymilk latte from your favourite Starbucks, this morning?

As long as settler colonialism is a thing, Octobe[…]

Don't strawman me . I don't believe in genetic su[…]

Wishing to see the existence of a massively nucl[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Speculation is boring and useless. Speculation is,[…]