Capital Punishment - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Crime and prevention thereof. Loopholes, grey areas and the letter of the law.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Drlee
Speaking only for the US.

The death penalty as it is applied here is preposterous. So many reasons.

1. Our robust legal system of appeals (which have exonerated many people) often extent the time from trial to execution to over 20 years. Doing away with the appeal process would be absurd.

2. It is more expensive (see above) to execute someone than it is to keep them in prison for life.

3. It is barbaric.

4. It is against my religion. My religion is based upon belief in the wrongful execution of an innocent man.

5. This is the 21st century. We have other options that remain unexplored.

6. We arm our people to the teeth, not requiring any training or vetting for the ownership and use of a firearm and then we execute people who use these guns.

7. We have not established any system for vetting the attorneys of individuals on trial for their lives to ensure they have competent representation from the start.

8. It does not deter crime.

9. The fear of it makes some criminals more desperate.

10. We refuse to address the economic issues that lead people to a life of crime in the first place.

That should be enough for now.
By Patrickov
The problem of the capital punishment nowadays is that the seriousness of crimes are measured wrongly.

IMHO criminal offences do not necessarily lead to death penalty. For example, if some guys kill in this anticipation then locking them up in labor camps for life would be a better idea.

Politicians, on the other hand, deserve this much more, as their decisions are often made in the expense of millions or even billions of people's lives, and many of them only do that just for their personal, family or organizational gain. Death would be the best deterrence of them plotting against the people.

(That said, I actually think the power of handing out the death penalty shouldn't be kept inside the Government)
By Patrickov
Suntzu wrote:Jesus did say it was O.K. to execute someone as long as a sinless person threw the switch. :lol:

Surely I am sinful and many others are, but the problem is some people simply can't be stopped from committing atrocities unless they find their lives threatened. I would gladly sit if God smite the most sinfuls (myself probably included) for the benevolents' sake.
I'm always a little fascinated by the fact that, in the United States, the right wingers that believe the government is a complicated conspiracy full of corrupt people out to get them--are also the group that most consistently demands that this corrupt cabal have the right to execute the citizenry.
By Patrickov
The Immortal Goon wrote:I'm always a little fascinated by the fact that, in the United States, the right wingers that believe the government is a complicated conspiracy full of corrupt people out to get them--are also the group that most consistently demands that this corrupt cabal have the right to execute the citizenry.

Or is that they think the federal government is conspiracy-ridden, while it's the state governments who have the power to execute people (and not even all of them!)
I suppose that's the other amazing thing about right wingers. The state governments are run by saints, and the moment a saint walks into DC he becomes corrupt and untrustworthy. For no good reason, the difference on if the government should have the right to kill its citizenry is dependent upon where that happens.

I can say, had it been up to the state, the terrorists in Eastern Oregon would have been gunned down on day two. As it was the Feds were cowardly in how they capitulated immediately to the Bundys.
I don't consider this a particularly relevant issue considering how few are effected by it.

Likewise some might argue that life trapped in a tiny cell, slowly going mad after staring at the same crack in the wall for too long, is just as bad or worse than the death penalty. Likewise many in prison take their lives.

Myself I'd compromise - I'd let those convicted of life in prison with no possibility of parole voluntarily choose the death penalty if they so elect.
By Godstud
The death penalty does not work as a deterrent and is only state-sanctioned murder. It's unprincipled, and that is why modern progressive countries do not have it.
By Red Rackham
In the UK from 1995 to 2007 no fewer than 29 convicted murderers were released from prison, who then went on to murder again.

Not allowing the trial judge to consider the death penalty is in itself a miscarriage of justice.
By Suntzu
Red Rackham wrote:In the UK from 1995 to 2007 no fewer than 29 convicted murderers were released from prison, who then went on to murder again.

Not allowing the trial judge to consider the death penalty is in itself a miscarriage of justice.

The solution is simple, don't let 'em out.
By One Degree
The US penal system so degrades an individual that he will come out corrupt even if he was innocent when he entered. Releasing them back into society for any reason makes no sense. Immediate execution after conviction is the best for the convicted and society.

Compromise position would be to let the criminals decide. We won't even do that. :knife:
By One Degree
One Degree, your sig is my idea of hell.

Prepare yourself, because the world is headed in that direction whether you like it or not. :D
By Red Rackham
Godstud wrote:The death penalty does not work as a deterrent and is only state-sanctioned murder. It's unprincipled, and that is why modern progressive countries do not have it.

Punishment is not a deterrent, the fact that our prisons are full is testament to that.
By Red Rackham
One Degree wrote:Prepare yourself, because the world is headed in that direction whether you like it or not. :D

Until 23 June 2016 the UK was heading that way and if there was such an entity as a god I would thank him we voted to leave the €U and for us at least the relentless march towards imposed federalism was halted.
By Hong Wu
If you confirm that someone possesses a malicious intent towards their own community, it makes no sense for the community to suffer their existence or for another community to be subjected to them if they would also harbor a malicious intent towards them, I think at that point it's rational to execute them for as long as communities exist.
By OllytheBrit
Godstud wrote:The death penalty does not work as a deterrent and is only state-sanctioned murder. It's unprincipled, and that is why modern progressive countries do not have it.

So why not compromise for rapists, murders and paedophiles? Lock them up in solitary and on basic sustenance of bread and water, but leave a cyanide pill and a glass of water close at hand so they can do the honourable thing if they so wish?

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong???[…]

Sure, but they are too stupid to understand, Trum[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

This is the issue. It is not changing. https://y[…]

@annatar1914 do not despair. Again, el amor pu[…]