Murder in the U.S. - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Crime and prevention thereof. Loopholes, grey areas and the letter of the law.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By One Degree
Pants-of-dog wrote:Good thing I did not.

When I was young, sociologists had to fear for their lives, and some even became armed rebels against the dictatorship. Obviously, the right wing dictator feared sociologists, and I doibt it was because of the fanciful beliefs you have about them.

I agree sociologists and armed rebels should be classified together.
One Degree wrote:I agree sociologists and armed rebels should be classified together.

Yes, both are important players in terms of social change. This is probably why conservatives like to make fun of them.
By Suntzu
From
The Color of Crime2016

By Edwin S. Rubenstein, M.A.
The past two years have seen unprecedented concern about racial bias in law enforcement. Deaths of young black men at the hands of the police led to serious rioting in Ferguson, Missouri, and in Baltimore. These and other deaths gave rise to the Black Lives Matter movement, which has carried out hundreds of demonstrations across the country and even in Canada. It is widely assumed that the police and the courts are strongly biased—certainly against blacks, and probably against Hispanics. This problem cannot be fully understood by concentrating on a few cases, no matter how disturbing they may first appear. There were an estimated 11,300,000 arrests in the United States in 2013, the over-whelming majority of which were carried out properly. It is only in a larger context that we can draw conclusions about systemic police bias or misbehavior. This larger context is characterized by two fundamental factors.

The first is that different racial groups commit crime at strikingly different rates, and have done so for many years. The second is that crime, overall, has declined dramatically over the last 20 years. Only after considering these points is it possible to draw well-founded conclusions about police bias. In 2005, the New Century Foundation published “The Color of Crime,” a study of the relationship between crime, race, and ethnicity in the United States. The study was based on published government statistics and found that blacks were seven times more likely to commit murder and eight times more likely to commit robbery than people of other races, while Asians had consistently low crime rates. Hispanics appeared to be committing violent crime at roughly three times the white rate, but this conclusion was tentative because of social statistics often failed to distinguish between whites and Hispanics. The 2005 study also found that blacks were seven times more likely than whites to be in prison and Hispanics were three times more likely. It also concluded that high black arrest and imprisonment rates—often cited as evidence of a racist criminal justice system were explained by the black share of offenders.

There has been a very important change since 2005: Crime is down. This is clearly indicated by the broadest measure of criminality in the United States, which is the annual National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS). In 2013, 90,630 households and 160,040 people were interviewed for the NCVS about their experiences as crime victims—whether re- ported to the police or not. A 20-year compilation of the survey’s findings indicates that both the number and rate of violent victimizations have declined steadily, albeit unevenly, for at least two decades (see Figure 1). Violent crime includes rape or sexual assault, robbery, simple or aggravated assault, and domestic violence—but not murder. Total violent victimizations in 2013 (the most recent year for NCVS data) were about one-third their 1994 level, which was a record high; the total number declined from 17.1 million in 1994 to 6.1 million in 2013.

This drop reflects an even steeper decline in the rate of violent crime (violent crimes per 1,000 people 12 years of age or older)—from 79.8 in 1994 to 23.2 in 2013. A second widely cited measure of crime, the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reports (UCR), confrms that violent crime is in a decades-long decline (see Figure 2). The FBI’s statistics *Underlined words are hyperlinks. In electronic versions of this report, these links lead to sources. Readers of the printed version are invited to refer to www.amren.com/the-color-of-crime/ to see the electronic versions.

The evidence suggests that if there is police racial bias in arrests it is negligible. Victim and witness surveys show that police arrest violent criminals in close proportion to the rates at which criminals of different races commit violent crimes.
• There are dramatic race differences in crime rates. Asians have the lowest rates, followed by whites, and then Hispanics. Blacks have notably high crime rates. This pattern holds true for virtually all crime categories and for virtually all age groups.
• In 2013, a black was six times more likely than a non-black to commit murder, and 12 times more likely to murder someone of another race than to be murdered by someone of another race.
• In 2013, of the approximately 660,000 crimes of interracial violence that involved blacks and whites, blacks were the perpetrators 85 percent of the time. This meant a black person was 27 times more likely to attack a white person than vice versa. A Hispanic was eight times more likely to attack a white person than vice versa.
• In 2014 in New York City, a black was 31 times more likely than a white to be arrested for murder, and a Hispanic was 12.4 times more likely. For the crime of “shooting”—dened as ring a bullet that hits someone—a black was 98.4 times more likely than a white to be arrested, and a Hispanic was 23.6 times more likely.
• If New York City were all white, the murder rate would drop by 91 percent, the robbery rate by 81 percent, and the shootings rate by 97 percent.
• In an all-white Chicago, murder would decline 90 percent, rape by 81 percent, and robbery by 90 percent.
• In 2015, a black person was 2.45 times more likely than a white person to be shot and killed by the police. A Hispanic person was 1.21 times more likely. These gures are well within what would be expected given race differences in crime rates and likelihood to resist arrest.
• In 2015, police killings of blacks accounted for approximately 4 percent of homicides of blacks. Police killings of unarmed blacks accounted for approximately 0.6 percent of homicides of blacks. The overwhelming majority of black homicide victims (93 percent from 1980 to 2008) were killed by blacks.
• Both violent and non-violent crime has been declining in the United States since a high in 1993. 2015 saw a disturbing rise in murder in major American cities that some observers associated with “depolicing” in response to intense media and public scrutiny of police activity.
Please note that the "study" cited by Suntzu is published by New Century Foundation, the same people who publish American Renaissance, a white supremacist publication.

It is not peer reviewed and has a racist bias.
By Suntzu
Pants-of-dog wrote:Please note that the "study" cited by Suntzu is published by New Century Foundation, the same people who publish American Renaissance, a white supremacist publication.

It is not peer reviewed and has a racist bias.

Would you mind pointing out any incorrect data or conclusions? :)
Suntzu wrote:Would you mind pointing out any incorrect data or conclusions? :)

Would you mind pointing out any correct ones?
By One Degree
Pants-of-dog wrote:Would you mind pointing out any correct ones?

The statistics appear to be close to everything I have read on the subject. We know it is a waste of time to provide PoD with additional studies, so it is up to him to refute the statistics.
One Degree wrote:The statistics appear to be close to everything I have read on the subject. ....

Then it should be easy to provide a study that is not from a racist site. Please do so.
By One Degree
Pants-of-dog wrote:Then it should be easy to provide a study that is not from a racist site. Please do so.

Go to the Justice Departments website. They have all the figures you need. Just be aware of the bias of leaving out Hispanics as a separate group in much of the information.
One Degree wrote:Go to the Justice Departments website. They have all the figures you need. Just be aware of the bias of leaving out Hispanics as a separate group in much of the information.

You accidentally quoted me when it is suntzu who is supposed to be putting together this argument.
By One Degree
Pants-of-dog wrote:You accidentally quoted me when it is suntzu who is supposed to be putting together this argument.

No, Suntzu's article makes use of these figures. You deny them. You need to verify their authenticity yourself or you will never take our word for it.
One Degree wrote:No, Suntzu's article makes use of these figures. You deny them. You need to verify their authenticity yourself or you will never take our word for it.

No. I am not going to do your work for you.

If you want me to believe your racist arguments, you need to do the work. Not me.
By One Degree
Pants-of-dog wrote:No. I am not going to do your work for you.

If you want me to believe your racist arguments, you need to do the work. Not me.

What basis do you have for claiming they are racist? Simply showing facts you do not like is not racist.
By Decky
I think he has a guilt complex due to his conquistador nature. If he can claim everyone else is racist then it makes him feel better about the fact he is the worst one of PoFo.
One Degree wrote:What basis do you have for claiming they are racist? Simply showing facts you do not like is not racist.

I explained that.

Please reread my posts if you are confused.
By Suntzu
Pants-of-dog wrote:No. I am not going to do your work for you.

Chose a single inaccuracy/lie/misrepresentation and we will examine it. :D
Curious to know what the point of this thread is.

Even if we accept that black people commit more violent crimes (may or may not be true, what is certainly true is that they are charged more often), that doesn't mean anything in terms of how they should be treated. It's still a tiny portion of the population that commits the crimes.

Really what we should be looking at is why males commit so many crimes. Don't males commit somewhere around 90 percent of all violent crime? What should be done about this disparity?
By Suntzu
LV-GUCCI-PRADA-FLEX wrote:Curious to know what the point of this thread is.

Even if we accept that black people commit more violent crimes (may or may not be true, what is certainly true is that they are charged more often), that doesn't mean anything in terms of how they should be treated. It's still a tiny portion of the population that commits the crimes.

Really what we should be looking at is why males commit so many crimes. Don't males commit somewhere around 90 percent of all violent crime? What should be done about this disparity?

Yep, males probably commit more than 90% of violent crimes but it is socially acceptable to discuss. What do you think causes Black criminality? Poverty, illegitimacy, genetics, slavery?

There are conditions that must be met for Ukraine[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@JohnRawls There is no ethnic cleansing going o[…]

They are building a Russian Type nuclear reactor..[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Hamas are terrorist animals who started this and […]