By any other name, How slavery in America continued up until 1943 - Loss of civil rights for crime - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Crime and prevention thereof. Loopholes, grey areas and the letter of the law.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By any other name, How slavery in America continued up until 1943

This is history but it very much has to do with law and justice, and civil rights. There are principles in history that could apply in ways today, the issue being loss of civil rights for crime, even relatively minor crimes or when the conviction is based on an accusation from one person. (Two examples are laws that prescribe permanent loss of voting rights or automatic permanent loss of gun rights)

'Slavery by Another Name' Relays the Forgotten Stories of Post-Civil War Slavery, PBS NewsHour

The passage of the Thirteenth Amendment officially abolished slavery, but there was one big loophole:
" [...] except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted [...] "

Tens of thousands of innocent people in the South - the vast majority of them African Americans - were charged, convicted, and sentenced to forced servitude.

On March 30, 1908, Green Cottenham was arrested by the sheriff of Shelby County, Alabama, and charged with "vagrancy". Cottenham had committed no true crime. Vagrancy, the offense of a person not being able to prove at a given moment that he or she is employed, was a new and flimsy concoction dredged up from legal obscurity at the end of the nineteenth century by the state legislatures of Alabama and other southern states. It was capriciously enforced by local sheriffs and constables, adjudicated by mayors and notaries public, recorded haphazardly or not at all in court records, and, most tellingly in a time of massive unemployment among all southern men, was reserved almost exclusively for black men. Cottenham's offense was blackness.

After three days behind bars, twenty-two-year-old Cottenham was found guilty in a swift appearance before the county judge and immediately sentenced to a thirty-day term of hard labor. Unable to pay the array of fees assessed on every prisoner -fees to the sheriff, the deputy, the court clerk, the witnesses Cottenham's sentence was extended to nearly a year of hard labor.

The next day, Cottenham, the youngest of nine children born to former slaves in an adjoining county, was sold. Under a standing arrangement between the county and a vast subsidiary of the industrial titan of the North - U.S. Steel Corporation - the sheriff turned the young man over to the company for the duration of his sentence. In return, the subsidiary, Tennessee Coal, Iron & Railroad Company, gave the county $12 a month to pay off Cottenham's fine and fees. What the company's managers did with Cottenham, and thousands of other black men they purchased from sheriffs across Alabama, was entirely up to them.

A few hours later, the company plunged Cottenham into the darkness of a mine called Slope No. 12 - one shaft in a vast subterranean labyrinth on the edge of Birmingham known as the Pratt Mines. There, he was chained inside a long wooden barrack at night and required to spend nearly every waking hour digging and loading coal. His required daily "task" was to remove eight tons of coal from the mine. Cottenham was subject to the whip for failure to dig the requisite amount, at risk of physical torture for disobedience, and vulnerable to the sexual predations of other miners - many of whom already had passed years or decades in their own chthonian confinement. The lightless catacombs of black rock, packed with hundreds of desperate men slick with sweat and coated in pulverized coal, must have exceeded any vision of hell a boy born in the countryside of Alabama - even a child of slaves - could have ever imagined.

Waves of disease ripped through the population. In the month before Cottenham arrived at the prison mine, pneumonia and tuberculosis sickened dozens. Within his first four weeks, six died. Before the year was over, almost sixty men forced into Slope 12 were dead of disease, accidents, or homicide.

Most of the broken bodies, along with hundreds of others before and after, were dumped into shallow graves scattered among the refuse of the mine.

Others were incinerated in nearby ovens used to blast millions of tons of coal brought to the surface into coke - the carbon-rich fuel essential to U.S. Steel's production of iron. Forty-five years after President Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation freeing American slaves, Green Cottenham and more than a thousand other black men toiled under the lash at Slope 12.

Imprisoned in what was then the most advanced city of the South, guarded by whipping bosses employed by the most iconic example of the modern corporation emerging in the gilded North, they were slaves in all but name.

Almost a century later, on an overgrown hillside five miles from the bustling downtown of contemporary Birmingham, I found my way to one of the only tangible relics of what Green Cottenham endured. The ground was all but completely obscured by the dense thicket. But beneath the undergrowth of privet, the faint outlines of hundreds upon hundreds of oval depressions still marked the land. Spread in haphazard rows across the forest floor, these were sunken graves of the dead from nearby prison mines once operated by U.S. Steel. Here and there, antediluvian headstones jutted from the foliage. No signs marked the place. No paths led to it.

My guide that day in the summer of 2000 was an industrial archaeologist named Jack Bergstresser. Years earlier, he had stumbled across a simple iron fence surrounding a single collapsed grave during a survey of the area.

Bergstresser was mystified by its presence at the center of what at the beginning of the twentieth century was one of the busiest confluences of industrial activity in the United States. The grave and the twisted wrought iron around it sat near what had been the intersection of two rail lines and a complex of mines, coal processing facilities, and furnaces in which thousands of men operated around the clock to generate millions of tons of coal and iron - all owned and operated by U.S. Steel at the height of its supremacy in American commerce. Bergstresser, who is white, told me he wondered if the dead here were forced laborers. He knew that African Americans had been compelled to work in Alabama mines prior to the Great Depression. His grandfather, once a coal miner himself, had told him stories of a similar burial field near the family home place south of Birmingham.

A year later, the Wall Street Journal published my long article chronicling the saga of that burial ground. No specific record of the internments survived, but mountains of archival evidence and the oral histories of old and dying African Americans nearby confirmed that most of the cemetery's inhabitants had been inmates of the labor camp that operated for three decades on the hilltop above the graveyard. Later I would discover atop a nearby rise another burial field, where Green Cottenham almost certainly was buried.

The camp had supplied tens of thousands of men over five decades to a succession of prison mines ultimately purchased by U.S. Steel in 1907. Hundreds of them had not survived. Nearly all were black men arrested and then "leased" by state and county governments to U.S. Steel or the companies it had acquired.3 Here and in scores of other similarly crude graveyards, the final chapter of American slavery had been buried. It was a form of bondage distinctly different from that of the antebellum South in that for most men, and the relatively few women drawn in, this slavery did not last a lifetime and did not automatically extend from one generation to the next. But it was nonetheless slavery - a system in which armies of free men, guilty of no crimes and entitled by law to freedom, were compelled to labor without compensation, were repeatedly bought and sold, and were forced to do the bidding of white masters through the regular application of extraordinary physical coercion.

In Alabama alone, hundreds of thousands of pages of public documents attest to the arrests, subsequent sale, and delivery of thousands of African Americans into mines, lumber camps, quarries, farms, and factories. More than thirty thousand pages related to debt slavery cases sit in the files of the Department of Justice at the National Archives. Altogether, millions of mostly obscure entries in the public record offer details of a forced labor system of monotonous enormity.

Instead of actual criminals being charged and forced into involuntary servitude, the records demonstrate the capture and imprisonment of thousands of random indigent citizens, almost always under the thinnest chimera of probable cause or judicial process. The total number of workers caught in this net had to have totaled more than a hundred thousand and perhaps more than twice that figure. The original records of county jails indicated thousands of arrests for inconsequential charges, such as vagrancy, riding freight cars without a ticket, or loud talk to white women.

By 1900, the South's judicial system had been wholly reconfigured to make one of its primary purposes the coercion of African Americans to comply with the social customs and labor demands of industry. Sentences were handed down by provincial judges, local mayors, and justices of the peace - often men in the employ of business owners who relied on the forced labor produced by the judgments. Dockets and trial records were inconsistently maintained. Attorneys were rarely involved on the side of blacks. Revenues from the neo-slavery poured the equivalent of tens of millions of dollars into the treasuries of Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Georgia, Florida, Texas, North Carolina, and South Carolina, where more than 75 percent of the black population in the United States then lived.

Read more here: http://www.slaverybyanothername.com/the-book/excerpt/
Imprisonment is slavery. i believe the law "ending slavery" explicitly recognised this. Which ever way we turn, there are no absolute rights and there are no absolute morals. We get a similar failure to face reality with the right wing libertarians and their non-aggression drivel.
Last edited by Rich on 16 Aug 2023 09:07, edited 1 time in total.
Rich wrote:Imprisonment is slavery. i believe the law "ending slavery" explicitly recognised this. Which ever way we turn, there are no absolute rights and their are no absolute morals. We get a similar failure to face reality with the right wing libertarians and their non-aggression drivel.

You're partially right, but this is a very cynical perspective.
Puffer Fish wrote:You're partially right, but this is a very cynical perspective.

He’s not just partially right, and it’s a realistic perspective, @Puffer Fish. To recognise reality for what it is, is not cynicism. It’s realism.
Potemkin wrote:He’s not just partially right, and it’s a realistic perspective, @Puffer Fish. To recognise reality for what it is, is not cynicism. It’s realism.

I believe in individual rights. To most of those on the Left, it seems, they just brush over all these troubles, as if they were little minor unimportant inconveniences... or just "inevitable", without giving much thought at all to it.

In this case it's obvious that punishment for "crime" was just being used as an excuse to put a portion of the Black population back into slavery. (Or course a small number of whites got caught up in these scheme as well)

And in many ways this "new" form of slavery was worse than the old form. (For one example, at least in the old form of slavery the slaves did wear chains fixed to their feet. And in the old version they had some care about their slaves because they owned them, but this new form of slavery they just rented out and didn't care how long they lived)

You want to talk about "civil rights", this was the REAL civil rights issue. Being imprisoned for an excessive length of time and being put to hard work, held in virtual slavery, for what were often rather minor crimes, or in some cases acts that couldn't be helped.

The government was obviously not justly dispensing justice, and vague laws were being interpreted and used in unfair and not straightforward ways.

You think just because society eliminates "racism", this same sort of issue could not happen again? I mean of course race was a general motivation behind this injustice, but this issue is about far more than racism.
As much as I don't want to agree with Puffball, he's correct.

I had a prof in college that did her PHD on slavery and racism. I learned a lot from that class.

We were an apartheid, and the evil that came from that never completely stopped. Indeed, Republicans are trying to restore it, as much as they can. (see link)

Blacks were arrested specifically so their right to vote could be stripped away. Here in Maine, if you want, you can vote from jail. I could see stripping rights away from traitors or insurrectionists, but short of that, the right to representation must be an inalienable right.

https://www.amazon.com/New-Jim-Crow-Incarceration-Colorblindness/dp/1620971933/ref=sr_1_9?crid=13IY3S19IZY5J&keywords=jim+crow+2.0&qid=1692178926&sprefix=jim+crow+2%2Caps%2C111&sr=8-9
Puffer Fish wrote:I believe in individual rights. To most of those on the Left, it seems, they just brush over all these troubles, as if they were little minor unimportant inconveniences... or just "inevitable", without giving much thought at all to it.

In this case it's obvious that punishment for "crime" was just being used as an excuse to put a portion of the Black population back into slavery. (Or course a small number of whites got caught up in these scheme as well)

And in many ways this "new" form of slavery was worse than the old form. (For one example, at least in the old form of slavery the slaves did wear chains fixed to their feet. And in the old version they had some care about their slaves because they owned them, but this new form of slavery they just rented out and didn't care how long they lived)

You want to talk about "civil rights", this was the REAL civil rights issue. Being imprisoned for an excessive length of time and being put to hard work, held in virtual slavery, for what were often rather minor crimes, or in some cases acts that couldn't be helped.

The government was obviously not justly dispensing justice, and vague laws were being interpreted and used in unfair and not straightforward ways.

You think just because society eliminates "racism", this same sort of issue could not happen again? I mean of course race was a general motivation behind this injustice, but this issue is about far more than racism.

I am not trying to minimise the injustice of what happened; on the contrary, I (and @Rich) were pointing out that the entire prison-industrial complex is a form of enslavement. When slavery was ‘abolished’, they actually had to write into the law that they were still allowed to imprison convicted felons, because they recognised the reality that to imprison someone is to enslave them, albeit temporarily. So slavery was never actually abolished at all; just one particular form of it, that’s all. And it left a loophole for the founders of Jim Crow to enslave ‘troublesome’ Blacks all over again….
wat0n wrote:Hard labor is not the same as owning another human being.

The state temporarily ‘owns’ its prisoners. They are not privately owned, and are therefore not chattel slaves, legally speaking. But prisoners are deprived of their freedom and their labour power is exploited for profit.
wat0n wrote:...And that happens because they committed a crime, this is not too different from what happens everywhere else. The US is still tame in comparison with both present and past communist countries.

Who decides what is a ‘crime’ and what isn’t? Is ‘vagrancy’ a crime? Is being unemployed a crime? This whole thread is about how the legal system can be used as a form of enslavement.
Potemkin wrote:Who decides what is a ‘crime’ and what isn’t? Is ‘vagrancy’ a crime? Is being unemployed a crime? This whole thread is about how the legal system can be used as a form of enslavement.

Thankfully there are things called laws and a whole branch of government, normally elected, dedicated to answering this question.

If you are unjustly sent to jail, does it really matter all that much if you'll have to work or not? One would think the illegal or unjust imprisonment is the actual problem.

OTOH, if you are justly sent to jail - as in, because you did break the law and it is the legal penalty to do so - the loss of civil rights is a natural consequence of your behavior and you are presumed to know that beforehand (because we all have an obligation to learn and abide by the law).
wat0n wrote:Thankfully there are things called laws and a whole branch of government, normally elected, dedicated to answering this question.

If you are unjustly sent to jail, does it really matter all that much if you'll have to work or not? One would think the illegal or unjust imprisonment is the actual problem.

OTOH, if you are justly sent to jail - as in, because you did break the law and it is the legal penalty to do so - the loss of civil rights is a natural consequence of your behavior and you are presumed to know that beforehand (because we all have an obligation to learn and abide by the law).

You do not have the makings of a varsity athlete, @wat0n. Or a revolutionary, for that matter. You clearly like to get along to get on. :)
Potemkin wrote:Who decides what is a ‘crime’ and what isn’t? Is ‘vagrancy’ a crime? Is being unemployed a crime? This whole thread is about how the legal system can be used as a form of enslavement.

Elected people decide what is a crime. Elected people used to be mostly lawyers, but now they are celebrities and the children of old politicians who were lawyers.

Also, can I just take the time right now to tell the United States to go fuck themselves for electing the daughter of Dick Cheney into office, and for Trumpsters for hating her for all the wrong reasons, and for Liz Cheney to hate Trump for all the wrong reasons?
Potemkin wrote:The state temporarily ‘owns’ its prisoners. They are not privately owned, and are therefore not chattel slaves, legally speaking. But prisoners are deprived of their freedom and their labour power is exploited for profit.

What should we do with prisoners? How should we punish, if at all, crime-breakers?

If you deserve to jailed for life who cares really, but if not maybe you should be re-parented because your parents probably fucked up somewhere. Something like military basic training but without guns and slightly less yelling...and more love. Your drill sergeant is also your mommy who loves you.
Last edited by Unthinking Majority on 17 Aug 2023 03:09, edited 1 time in total.
Unthinking Majority wrote:What should we do with prisoners? How should we punish, if at all, crime-breakers?

In you deserve to jailed for life who cares really, but if not maybe you should be re-parented because your parents probably fucked up somewhere. Something like military basic training but without guns and slightly less yelling...and more love. Your drill sergeant is also your mommy who loves you.

That sounds like communism, you filthy commie. ;)
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@Rancid anyone who applauds and approves genocida[…]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this be als[…]

@FiveofSwords " chimpanzee " Havin[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ4bO6xWJ4k Ther[…]