Man tells of injustice in court and being made homeless from child support payments - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Crime and prevention thereof. Loopholes, grey areas and the letter of the law.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Summary: A man got completely run over in the court system. Due to a manipulative ex-wife and the injustice that was handed down in the courts, he was ordered to have to make financially crippling child support payments to his ex-wife that resulted in him becoming homeless.

A man made this post on Reddit:

State of California made me homeless and a slave for the rest of my life.

After separation, I go away with all of the debt from the marriage (Mortgage, second Mortgage, all the credit card debt). After being negative cash flow for a year after separation. The court takes 60% of my net wages, without any notification (I got a call from my employer). Shortly after I become homeless, and cannot afford to maintain the computer equipment I need to do my job. Shortly after that I lose my job (The company shut down).

By the time I make it to trial, I am financially destitute, cannot even obtain unemployment (because of work done out of state). I can't afford an attorney and have to stand tall, "In Pro Per". Just before the trial my ex took a vacation to the Bahamas. I had to get a ride from a friend to make it to the trial (had to sell my car to pay attorney fees). I cited the case of Alan S. at the beginning of the trial and asked for a continuance until I could get a job and get an attorney and was told by the Judge "That ship has sailed". The judgement overlook several laws I cited regarding equal representation.

To top it off, the Judge and opposing council took a recess during the trial so that they could meet (without telling me). The Judge interviewed opposing council for a Job on the bench, and shortly after the trial I got a letter saying they had made my ex's attorney a court commissioner. They award my ex, over $1000 a month in Spousal support, for the rest of her life, when she has a $60,000 a year job and I am homeless and unemployed. Because I was without attorney, I was run over roughshod by the court, my evidence ignored, multiple laws ignored.

EDIT: I filed for the Appeal for a new trial, and got a Settlement offer from My Ex's attorney. Everything gets zeroed, I give her $5k and she goes away with no spousal support, nada, anything I owe, zeroed, and vice versa. Talking with my attorney about it now. Will update this post as thing develop.

As a last note, I have been working now for some time and I am no longer homeless (thanks to working).

State of California made me homeless and a slave for the rest of my life. : MensRights (reddit.com)
much much more at link (it's horrible, you really should read it)
Unfortunately, these type of stories are not unique. Things like this have happened to many men.

The wife, it looks like, funneled money away into accounts she alone controlled, before the separation, so she would have money to hire a lawyer, while her husband would be left with nothing and deep debt. She even tricked him into signing his name to officially assume liability for that debt, so even if there was any question about him on the hook for half of it (usually a person is responsible for any debt their spouse takes on) that was then rendered a moot point.

Someone else then responded with this post:

The courts are truly terrible. Several years ago I volunteered at my local homeless shelter and met several guys that were homeless strictly because of out of control alimony/child support payments. What was sickening was the majority of the divorces were initiated by the woman because they found a new boyfriend. These boyfriends live in the ex-husbands house and he has to pay to support the new couple. As long as they don't get married the alimony won't stop. In the 3 years I worked there we had 2 guys commit suicide because they didn't want to go to jail for not paying court ordered support. They were ordered to pay MORE then they made each month.
From how I am interpreting the story, it sounds like he couldn't afford a lawyer. His wife had used dirty tactics to make sure she would have money for a lawyer but he wouldn't. Neither was he entitled to a public appointed lawyer because this was a civil case, not a criminal trial. That is probably a large part of why he got steam-rolled over.

When he wrote that he sold his car to hire a lawyer, he probably meant he had sold his car to try to raise money to pay for a lawyer, but he never ended up actually getting a lawyer. Maybe he wasn't able to raise enough money.
Sometimes lawyers can even take money as a retainer, but then not show up to court if they do not get paid more money. It's not an uncommon practice. If that was the case, it might have been too complicated for him to explain and get into.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

I have never been wacko at anything. I never thou[…]

I think a Palestinian state has to be demilitariz[…]

no , i am not gonna do it. her grandfather was a[…]

did you know it ? shocking information , any comme[…]