US Copyright Question - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Crime and prevention thereof. Loopholes, grey areas and the letter of the law.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Apollos
Someone help me out who has knowledge of copyright laws in the US.

1. How long after the author's death does a work become public domain?
2. Can public domain material be printed and sold by anyone?
By smashthestate
Last I heard, it was 70 years after the author's death. Once the copyright is up, it is public domain, and therefore anyone would be allowed to print and sell the author's material.

You may want to check this, though, as I'm not positive.

www.copyright.gov[/list]
By wonder cow
Last I heard, it was 70 years after the author's death. Once the copyright is up, it is public domain, and therefore anyone would be allowed to print and sell the author's material.

True. They have recently made some changes to this. Not sure of the details.

Also, if the work belongs to a company, then the copyright is extended beyond 70 years. Maybe 90 years, if I recall.
By redstarline
now I know the USA doesnt recognise Trademarks from some countires, but is it the same for copyright? Can I claim copyright for someone elses work inside the USA if it originates in one of the nations the USA has laws against, in the same way i can use trademarks belonging to somone else?
By wonder cow
now I know the USA doesnt recognise Trademarks from some countires, but is it the same for copyright?

I believe the US is a party to international copyright and trademark agreements.
By Clausewitz
redstarline wrote:now I know the USA doesnt recognise Trademarks from some countires, but is it the same for copyright? Can I claim copyright for someone elses work inside the USA if it originates in one of the nations the USA has laws against, in the same way i can use trademarks belonging to somone else?

If the work derives substantially from something that's in the public domain (including works copyrighted in countries whose copyrights we don't respect) you can't take it out of the public domain. It's not copyrightable.

wonder cow wrote:I believe the US is a party to international copyright and trademark agreements.

We don't respect, for instance, Iranian copyrights.
By wonder cow
We don't respect, for instance, Iranian copyrights.

Really.

But if I write an original "something" on a napkin, I have copyright to that material at the instance that I write it.

So the napkin in question must be in the US or in some country the US likes?
By Clausewitz
wonder cow wrote:But if I write an original "something" on a napkin, I have copyright to that material at the instance that I write it.

So the napkin in question must be in the US or in some country the US likes?

Definitely, but only if it's really original. I can't take an Iranian work, copy it, and claim it as my own any more than I could copyright David Copperfield because it derives from the public domain.
By wonder cow
I can't take an Iranian work, copy it, and claim it as my own

OK. I see what you are saying now.
By redstarline
As I say I know that trademarks from some countries are not recognised by the USA, so if a product is made by one of the countries the US doesnt like, a US company can make a similar product and use the same trademark within the USA eg Havana Club rum. I was wondering if they could just take a record or book or film and distribute it without any copyright liscence.

Alsow itht hese new laws allowing 3rd parties to re-edit films, can youc ompletely re-edit a film changingt he plots etc and effectively make a new film without any copyright infringement?

Some examples: https://twitter.com/OnlinePalEng/s[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I do not have your life Godstud. I am never going[…]

He's a parasite

Trump Derangement Syndrome lives. :O