Do Sikhs dominate Bollywood? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Language, bias, ownership, influence; all media related topics.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.

soundtrack

It seems that the mass media of just about every anti-Islamic empire has some domineering minority controlling the means of cultural production.

Is this also true of Bollywood?

Is the Indian film industry dominated to the point of bias by the presence of Sikhs in most decision-making positions?

Many say the opposite is true. Or are these just opportunistic Sikh whiners playing the victim in their own self-serving narratives?
By QatzelOk
Bella, it turns out that Sikhs don't control the media in India at all.

And it turns out that Sikhs are portrayed as ruthless and racist con men.

Perhaps there are lessons for the Sikhs in other countries...
By Bella
I am a fan of Bollywood and I've watched many of their movies. To say that Bollywood movies in general portray Muslims in a negative light is dead wrong. You've never watched any of their movies. How can you form an opinion if you've never even bothered to see what it is all about?

Fact is that there are actually many more Khans than the ones in the picture I posted. There are a plethora of Muslim actors, directors, singers, choreographers, etc. in the industry moreso than there are Sikhs.

I'm awaiting your critiques of Lollywood and Nollywood :lol:
By QatzelOk
You've never watched any of their movies.

I've watched tons of Indian movies.

I know how Islam is portrayed (it isn't.)

There are many Muslim stars in Bollywood, but I was more interested in the ownership structure.

It appears that - unlike Hollywood - there is no religious-themed social caste that controls the message.
By QatzelOk
Sikhs are actually a type of high-end Hindus.

They are constantly at war with the more egalitarian Muslims, which is why I asked if these Sikhs owned a controlling share of Bollywood. No one has shown me the ownership structure.
By Bella
GandalftheGrey wrote:Bella I think you're confusing sikhs with muslims. Qatz never mentioned muslims.

Gandalf, you have to read Qatzian text carefully to get the underlying meaning.

From the OP
It seems that the mass media of just about every anti-Islamic empire has some domineering minority controlling the means of cultural production.

Is this also true of Bollywood?

Is the Indian film industry dominated to the point of bias by the presence of Sikhs in most decision-making positions?

:O

Qatz wrote:Sikhs are actually a type of high-end Hindus. They are constantly at war with the more egalitarian Muslims, which is why I asked if these Sikhs owned a controlling share of Bollywood. No one has shown me the ownership structure.

Only because they are Punjabis/Northern Indians who are revered for being Aryan and mostly light skinned. I already told you that there are far more Muslims in Bollywood than there are Sikhs but you can continue living in your alternate reality.

How are the Sikhs at war with Muslims, Qatz? Please enlighten us. It seems as if everybody is at war with Muslims. Sikhs, Hindus, Christians, Jews, Bahais, Buddhists, etc. Maybe it is the Muslims that are at war with everyone else :roll:
By QatzelOk
Maybe it is the Muslims that are at war with everyone else

This is what Hollywood tells us.

But Bollywood doesn't create this structure.

And I'm still waiting to hear about the ownership structure of Bollywood.

Bella, do you have a clue about this? Or are you only spamming for Israel?
By Bella
This is what Hollywood tells us.

But Bollywood doesn't create this structure.

I don't have to watch Hollywood movies to know that. Just look at what's going on in the world. Muslims bombing churches/temples in Malaysia, Egypt, Iraq, Indonesia, Pakistan, Bangladesh, etc.

And I'm still waiting to hear about the ownership structure of Bollywood.

Sikhs in Bollywood.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikhs_in_Bollywood

* Ajay Devgan[1]
* Harman Baweja[2]
* Dharmendra[3]
* Sunny Deol[4][5]
* Bobby Deol[6]
* Esha Deol[7]
* Abhay Deol[8]
* Simi Garewal[9][10]
* Ranjeet
* Raj Babbar
* Kanwaljit Singh (actor)
* Kirron Kher
* Mangal Dhillon
* Amrita Singh
* Sonu Walia
* Parmeet Sethi
* Pooja Batra
* Mandira Bedi
* Gracy Singh
* Minissha Lamba[11]
* Simone Singh
* Jimmy Shergill
* Neetu Singh
* Gul Panag[12]
* Gracy Singh
* Poonam Dhillon
* Neha Dhupia[13]
* Gulzar[14]
* Jaspal Bhatti
* Priya Gill
* Ranjeeta Kaur
* Kulraj Randhawa
* Ruby Bhatia
* Manmeet Singh
* Mahek Chahal
* Juhi Chawla

If you compare these people to all the Muslims in Bollywood, the numbers are miniscule. Some of the biggest Bollywood actors and directors are Muslims. Directors/filmmakers/sponsors like Farhan Akhtar, Anees Bazmee, Farah Khan and Abbas Mustan. Bollywood's biggest star is Sharukh Khan who is a Muslim actor/director. Add to that a bunch of other actors. So much for your argument that the Sikhs are the domineering minority :knife:

Bella, do you have a clue about this? Or are you only spamming for Israel?

Ad hom :roll: You are not one to talk about spamming.

Yes, I know much more about Bollywood than you do since I've been a fan for years and years. You haven't a clue what you are talking about.

Bollywood has NOTHING to do with Israel. Do you have to bring up Jews and Israel into every topic :roll: I am not going to bother discussing matters logically with someone as illogical as you. Namaste ;)
By QatzelOk
So much for your argument that the Sikhs are the domineering minority

Bella, you haven't really seized the argument I am trying to make.

Sikhs ARE a domineering minority in Indian politics and economics. They control a lot more money and create a lot more terrorist attacks than their small numbers would suggest. But they find themselves up against a Muslim Indian minority that finds the idea of a "super class" religion repulsive and pagan. I agree with this, as everyone knows. I am egalitarian.

As for a Sikh dominance of Bollywood, I have ONLY asked questions about this, and have never really offered an opinion. The most important thing I have repeatedly asked for is the ownership structure of Bollywood.

You provided a few names - out of thousands. But can you provide some kind of hard economic profile of Bollywood? How many companies own the major studios? What groups/social class are these studio owners from?

The answers to these questions will let you know where the narrative bias is coming from. And that will let you know what "effect" this narrative is likely to be having on the viewers.
By Bella
^
Millie, that guy in the OP is the actor Saif Ali Khan. He isn't really Sikh but just playing one in a movie.

By karan8624
millie_(A)TCK wrote:Damnit. He should convert. He looks hot as a Sikh. :p

Being gay is pretty frowned upon in the sikh commmunity, dont think that fetish will work out
And OP, you seem you seem to have some sort of problem with sikhs. How are sikhs creating terrorist attacks, and why would they?
QatzelOk, Sikhs are not a type of high-end Hindus. Sikhism is a separate religion, and has been since its foundation by its first Guru.

Sikhs also are not terrorists. Yes, they have conducted extremist activities, but that ended in 1992. Hindus extremists killed Muslims in 2002 and Christians in 2008. Muslims have also done extremism in India. No one group is full of extremists. Good and bad exist in every group.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Well, the package was passed by the House so I gue[…]

I already said its origins are in Iran. So unsur[…]

He's a parasite

Trump Derangement Syndrome lives. :O