Youtube - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Language, bias, ownership, influence; all media related topics.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By RhetoricThug
We all know how Youtube went from start-up to Google owned.
My question is, do you think Youtube would be better off as a .org publicly funded project?
And do you ever think that videos will stop having viewers counted?
Or will it forever be a very commercialized venture?

I love Youtube for all the community uploads and wonderful historical content that I can access for free (I know why it is free right now). I just wonder how it would fare without counting video views and having ad-based revenue to support it.

I believe there is enough public support to change it into a not for profit website.

Your thoughts?
By lucky
RhetoricThug wrote:I believe there is enough public support to change it into a not for profit website.

Source? Where did you see any public support for this?

It would be a significant expenditure to buy it from Google, and then you'd be running a pretty big expense for zero revenue. Then the product would stagnate and in a few years a competitor would innovate and take over the users despite the public subsidy. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Besides, why would you want to stop counting viewers, and how would you compensate content creators for the content if you don't even know which videos are popular?
By QatzelOk
I would like to see Google, Facebook, and Youtube replaced by cooperatives.

We really have to stop letting Slimy Greed-monsters own and manage public institutions.

I read the reports, but it does not even mention […]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@Tainari88 no, Palestinian children don't deser[…]

no , i am not gonna do it. her grandfather was a[…]

did you know it ? shocking information , any comme[…]