Hunger games is populist junk - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Language, bias, ownership, influence; all media related topics.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Dumb shit just angers me, I don't understand how people can relax when their intelligence is being insulted.
Frollein wrote:Dumb shit just angers me, I don't understand how people can relax when their intelligence is being insulted.

Meh, you just need to chillax and enjoy it for what it is - dumb shit made for teens. Don't be such an Angry German, Frollein.

[youtube]miOWJ4rKb_g[/youtube]
Can't change who I am, Pot. But it's nothing to do with being German, my sister can watch Germany's Next Topmodel and Germany's next Superstar... I need to leave the room when that's on.
Can't change who I am, Pot. But it's nothing to do with being German, my sister can watch Germany's Next Topmodel and Germany's next Superstar... I need to leave the room when that's on.

I say this with admiration, Frollein: Wagner wrote his operas for women like you.
I havent watch all the movies ..only part 1.. .but of you want my opinion...
It was a good movie...nice acting performance...and i would say it convers the image of the current political world ordr in some way ....think about it ..
it represents the political poliraty system ruled by one nation (uUSA) in the movie district one
Making district representers fight to the death is very like the US waging wars in most parts of the world through its proxies and massacring people in order to retain superiority and control over resources..
And the following which is how most districts revolted is how now many nations..moat of the third world nations are angry and full of hate against this system and how will they all at one point join in a mass revolt simutaniously to destroy such system ...
Not sure if it was made for this but it does seem simillar..and i think the writer who ever he is has read the nook (al-ameer) or one alike it because it includes a number of ruling tactics simillar to ones in the book ..
Potemkin wrote:I say this with admiration, Frollein: Wagner wrote his operas for women like you.
As long as you don't picture me as the Wagnerian fat lady with winged helmet, I guess I can live with that.
As long as you don't picture me as the Wagnerian fat lady with winged helmet, I guess I can live with that.

Ah, there are so many wonderful German stereotypes to pick and choose from....

But no, I was thinking more of the core fan base for Wagner's operas back when he wrote them in the mid to late 19th century - upper-middle class German ladies with a taste for serious culture, who were prepared to sit through a 5 hour long opera, and who - just as importantly - could force their husbands to sit through it too.
Would you believe that I've never watched a Wagner opera?

*gasp*

I no longer understand this world....
What I don't understand is why adults watch and discuss these films and comprise a big part of the fanbase. It started with Harry Potter and I remember being WTF?? These are kids' books, how can adults be fans?

Have you not looked at the average adult recently?
Well, yeah, there's that. The infantilisation of society... any explanation how that came to pass?
Well, yeah, there's that. The infantilisation of society... any explanation how that came to pass?

That's an easy one, Frollein. Modern consumer capitalism requires its citizens to be little more than appetites which can be stimulated and satiated. And what kind of humans are like that? Yep, you guessed it - infants.
Frollein wrote:Well, yeah, there's that. The infantilisation of society... any explanation how that came to pass?

What Potemkin said plus-

Electronic forms of communication tied to our financial system. Electronic media creates mythic content, retribalizing generations by idolizing the cult of celebrity creating the adult who lives through rear-view-mirror childhood nostalgia.

The cult of celebrity and the mythic content electronic media distributes operates like the old pantheon of Gods, psychologically. The 'adult' teaches its kids the folklore of electronic society. I believe Disney commands a large market share when it comes to nostalgia.

Popularist junk= cultural myth aimed at children so they can establish brand loyalty and consumer identities, perpetuating economic activity and social characteristics.
anasawad wrote:it represents the political poliraty system ruled by one nation (USA) in the movie district one...
Well, you can basically put any political authority in its place and say that it work...it doesn't. The ways how " Capitol" repress other districts are completely cartoonish and unrealistic. Annual deathmatchs on TV do not reflect anything of wars. Their so called "propaganda" is obvious, incoherent, pointless and lame. Faceless police beating up random people for no reason does not happen even in North Korea. Normal people do not turn into "freedom fighters" instantly by cool signs sprayed on walls (Ask the anarchists). Political power does not work anything like that.

The only theme this movie has is the the badly overused "Freedom vs dictatorship" and "Power corrupts freedom fighters" clique with a postmodern touch. It is an oversimplified and untrue representation of political reality in the world. And the fun part is, such "clique" is being subtlely applied to real world events by mass media narrative, to paint political rivals into stereotypes created in these fairy tales. I couldn't watch this toxic piece of propaganda masquerading as "harmless entertainment" without a few brain cells comitting suicide.

The fact that so many people are even looking for deeper political meaning in this piece of junk means that the actual propaganda is highly successful. This is sad.
Frollein wrote:Can't change who I am, Pot. But it's nothing to do with being German, my sister can watch Germany's Next Topmodel and Germany's next Superstar... I need to leave the room when that's on.
Frollein, I can say exactly the same! My wife watches all sort of reality TV crap with people overreacting to everything out of no reason. I am constantly fuming and cursing but me and we are sharing the room so I'm gonna have to sit it through everytime. I never managed to get used to it.

She couldn't understand why I couldn't just ignore the dumb parts and just listen to the singing. But man I am allergic to bullshit.
Actually ..faceless police beating random people does sound real...
Just look at the mid east in the past 100 years...and more killing than beating ...
And simple cool signs on facebook and even dumb ideas with no possible future also spread on facebook with the current anger did make people riot...its happening these years ...

And the whole political poliraty system is exactly like that ...i agree it is over simplyfied because the US supress people in a far worse ways...the US do use dictating regimes..poverty..random crime and massacres to lay control and on large scales waging proxy wars to drain a country...
It sounds very simillar to how the sub districts are kept in the movie ....

But anyways...its just an idea
anasawad wrote:Actually ..faceless police beating random people does sound real...
Just look at the mid east in the past 100 years...and more killing than beating ...
And simple cool signs on facebook and even dumb ideas with no possible future also spread on facebook with the current anger did make people riot...its happening these years ...

That's exactly what I mean. You are fitting events in the real world into movie narratives, not the other way around. As always, there are much, much more to meet the eye. Welcome to politics!

While the United States does not comment in any wa[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Why are thousands of people trying to force their[…]

There is, or at least used to be, a Royalist Part[…]

Also, the Russians are apparently not fans of Isra[…]