Holocaust & Catastrophe - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Language, bias, ownership, influence; all media related topics.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By noemon
Two days ago a Syriza minister during a speech said that the Greeks should follow the Jewish example and use the Asia Minor Catastrophe for political purposes. He said that the Greeks should copyright the term "Catastrophe" the same way the Jews have copyrighted the term "Holocaust" and that reminding western people of the horrors the Asia Minor people lived in the start of the century can turn the tide of the bad image of Greece post-crisis.

Some people accused him of antisemitism but that is besides the point in this discussion, I would rather have this discussion focus on the pros and & cons of such a policy.

Do you believe that such a policy produces more pros than cons, remember this is not about remembering the events for the sake of memory(something which is already in place) this is about using these events to score political & marketing points abroad as Normal Finkelstein has extensively wrote on the subject.

Personally as I have written on the past, I disagree with such a policy of victimisation, even if I can see some short-term benefits coming out of it.
It would follow along similar lines as the Islamists have used to champion their special interests through advancing a victimhood agenda. Now-a-days people probably believe 6 million Muslims died in camps during WWII, instead of Jews. Still it would be pretty unethical.

The Greeks don't even need to go that far. They need to start demonizing the upper classes. Of course Greek politicians won't go that far, as they're in bed with the upper classes. But technically speaking, the upper classes were responsible for the Greek economic disaster. Afterwards they were also the ones that funnelled large sums of money out of the country in order to secure their wealth. And the middle and lower classes were forced to pick up the bill, suffering the greatest.
By layman
It seems to be that greek post crisis image depends on peoples politically leanings (roughly speaking). Left wingers see greece as a victim of EU/private banks screwing them. Rightists generally see them as 'not paying their bills and asking for bailouts'.

Its not that simple of course with nationality playing a part too. British rightists often take the greek side just to bash the EU. Germans have a national angle too.

Anyway, my point is that this same division wouldnt change with such a strategy as it plays into the same division. Rightists (generally speaking) hate that kind of victim narrative - unless of course jews are doing it :lol:

I dont think it would change any minds.
By Decky
Why would Greece even want their stolen land back now? Look at how much trouble Europe is having keeping the savages out even without a large land border. If Greece got (for example) the western third of asia minor back how would they defend it? They can't defend their country from invasion now for gods sake as it stands.
Success in politics requires several factors. Including propaganda. Using the 'suffering card' can only be one amongst a number of others. By itself it's not enough.
It seems to be that greek post crisis image depends on peoples politically leanings (roughly speaking). Left wingers see greece as a victim of EU/private banks screwing them. Rightists generally see them as 'not paying their bills and asking for bailouts'.

Its not that simple of course with nationality playing a part too. British rightists often take the greek side just to bash the EU. Germans have a national angle too.

Anyway, my point is that this same division wouldnt change with such a strategy as it plays into the same division. Rightists (generally speaking) hate that kind of victim narrative - unless of course jews are doing it :lol:

I dont think it would change any minds.

I agree with this, so the victim thing is a gamble. It depends on whether or not the world is going to the right, or this is a temporary adjustment. Personally, I believe it is too close to call.

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]