Oliver Stone: The Putin Interviews - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Language, bias, ownership, influence; all media related topics.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Americans often refer to cities as towns interchangeably. Though it's more of a southernism than anything else.

Kind of a dumb criticism to make though.
mikema63 wrote:Americans often refer to cities as towns interchangeably. Though it's more of a southernism than anything else.

Kind of a dumb criticism to make though.

Well, a talking head of this calibre should take classes in Standard English.

A town is a human settlement larger than a village but smaller than a city.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town#United_States

If a Russian commentator or journalists was not able to talk in standard Russian, he would be kicked out. The same with a German commentator on German TV.

BTW, the head of American Intelligent Cervices called GASProm an Oil company.
Was this also a "southernism"?

:D

They are tanking "gas" in the USA, which means petroleum or benzine, so it is understandable that American politicians cannot distinguish between gas and oil.
Their leaders are talking about "nucular" weapons, and their plains are made of "aluminium".
Last edited by ArtAllm on 22 Jun 2017 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
mikema63 wrote:You could make tons of different criticisms about megyn kelly and your going to run with the town thing huh? :roll:

I think that Oliver Stone hit the nail on his head:

"(In) those 15 minutes she got, she asked every hostile question she could ask," Stone says. "She’s beautiful to look at and I’m sure that had a lot to do with getting any interview at all, because he’s not averse to beauty and also she has charisma, but she’s not informed well.”
Does he think Putin granted Kelly the interview because of her looks? “I didn’t say that," Stone says. "I’m sure he’s aware that it was NBC and it’s a huge audience. ... I would think in person she liked him, but she certainly had (a stern face during the interview). The questions are hard. If they wanted to provoke him, they did. I suppose he got provoked a bit.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/ ... 02598914/#

I agree with Stone: Putin is treating this girl as a good looking mischievous child. And besides that this girl hast to please her employees.

On a personal level both of them are attracted to each other, and maybe even sexually.

mikema63 wrote:And now we are at "she's pretty" in the discussion. :lol:

A Russian man has different standards regarding pretty girls.
An ugly woman or a man would never get away with that kind of behaviour.

Stone knows the masculine "Russian soul", he is a real expert in this matter.
Igor Antunov wrote:Fox is trash too. American/western media is trash across the board in 99.9% of cases. Putin is a better source on Russia and russian policies than all the western media combined. Which is why SO is boycotting to his detriment. To defeat your enemies, you must understand them. Which is consequently why Russia/China/Islam etc have already won.

Boycott would infer I'm not watching out of protest. I'm not watching because I can think of better things to do with 4 hours that are probably going to be a bullshit nothingburger so lol sorry I don't have time for ur daddy.

Also I wanted to brag that I have Showtime, which is apparently somehow beyond the means of a bunch of people who I presume to be employed adults.
Oliver Stone criticising Megyn Kelly as an interviewer... :lol:

Also people, wasn't she invited by Putin or his administration to host the event in St. Petersburg? :?:

If you want to have an image like Putin does, you have to answer tough or provocative questions asked by an organised and skilled professional with an international reputation too sometimes.

It's also an advantage if the professional in question is a good-looking and intelligent woman you can flirt with. ;)
Watching part one now. Putin always came off like the calculating KGB technocrat, and so far this interview series does not alter that perspective. Putin has been talking about a return to geopolitical multipolarity for several decades now, and seems like his nationalist position has not changed either. He clearly stated that he thinks NATO exists basically to continually frustrate Russia. He seems to perceive the US as a kind of irrational state with its hands on the levers of global power, but I think Putin is just skeptical about how long this can last. His objective seems to be to maintain and solidify Russian power as a counter-weight to the Western bloc.

Part two is even more revealing, focusing more on domestic politics and Putin's position on Eastern Europe. There's an interesting scene where Putin and Stone watch Dr. Strangelove together, apparently Putin had never seen the movie, which I find hard to believe considering the rumours of the Russian Deadhand system.

Putin repeatedly states that he, and the other political technologists who work for him, are looking at the global situation in the 2050-2075 timeframe and are proceeding accordingly. Putin reiterates that he believes the US and NATO are behind the domestic upheaval in Ukraine and that this is part of a Western plot to prevent Russian-Ukrainian "rapprochement". Putin cited the dismantling of the ABM treaty by President Bush as the beginning of the present conflict between Russian and the US, with Russia now dedicating itself to re-armament, but ultimately he feels that the withdrawal from the ABM treaty was a mistake that will cost the US more than Russia (in absolute terms) in the long run.

Putin talks briefly about his machismo, and there some interesting sequences of Putin playing hockey, working out- the 63 year old claims he works out everyday- and talking about his Judo "mastery". Putin states that he feels legal action is necessary to keep the influence of the homosexual lobby to a minimum as Russia needs to increase its birthrate for the future, not reduce it.

In Part three, Putin argues that the toppling of Yanukovych was orchestrated by the CIA in conjunction with the US State Department- basically the model for the Egyptian coup in 2013- claiming that the Yanukovych government never ordered to fire on protestors, rather, Putin hints at a third force that was operating, shooting both police and protestors to create chaos. He blames the Ukrainian government for taking a hardline in Donbass and Donetsk, where another ceasefire agreement was recently arranged. Putin tries to argue that the annexation of Crimea was to protect Russian nationals which isn't believable at all, and they certainly don't mention the huge military maneuvers Russia was conducting on the Ukrainian border in 2014.

There is a particularly interesting sequence in part three where Putin uses Skype to chat with some generals in Syria. But in the background you can clearly see video-loop footage, and Oliver Stone notices this as well, a strange Putin-esque Potempkin village. Stone points out that by the numbers Saudi Arabia spends more on defence than Russia, and asks how that could be possible. Putin doesn't really explain anything, but it seems obvious that someone is lying somewhere.

Putin claims in February 2016 that Russian aircraft were carrying out 70 to 120 strikes a day in Syria, which is a lot of strikes; the CJTFOIR will conduct 10 or 20 a day, although lately that number has been increasing as ISIL is destroyed. Putin shows Stone some footage of Russian aircraft bombing ISIL on his phone, describing the targets dispassionately as "international terrorists".

As the documentary continues it becomes more surreal. In Part Four Putin goes into detail about his feelings regarding the US election, and again denies that Russia had any involvement. On the otherhand, Obama's actions kicking out the spys in December suggests the Obama administration thought Russian intervention was legitimate enough to warrant a response. No doubt Putin would argue this was just natural consequences for US intervention in Ukraine or some such other perceived disruption of the balance of power that Putin cites repeatedly throughout the series.

It seems clear that Russia probably was involved in the DNC hack, no doubt Putin denies this, but it clearly fits with his pattern of though and KGB stlyings. When Obama expelled the spies in December 2016, that was pretty clearly in response to Russian opposition to Clinton, which itself likely stemmed from the sanctions that the Democrats had imposed on Russia after they annexed Crimea. Putin also cites US intervention in Russia's elections, both in 2000 and 2012, the latter which Putin describes as particularly intensive. When Stone presses him on this, Putin becomes defensive, stating that "really it doesn't matter" and that the hackers had merely exposed the underlying corruption in the US political system- conveniently for Putin's perspective on US-Russian relations.

As the series wraps up, Putin reveals that he felt betrayed by the US, who continued to operate on a cold-war footing throughout the 1990s and really never stopped. He once again argues that the global community is merely reacting to US abuses, and that once those abuses are more well known, real change in the US political establishment will take place. As part four wraps up, Oliver Stone notes that Putin looks "like the fox who just got out of the hen house" and that he's clearly sitting on information he doesn't want to reveal due to national security reasons. Stone paints a pretty convincing case for the motivation behind the ongoing cyberwar, and is highly critical of both Russia and the United States for continuing the conflict. Putin states that there had been some debate in Autumn 2015 about regulating the cyberwar but it was not pursued.

In the final part of the interview they discuss the meaning of the Russian Revolution 100 years later. They discuss Stalin's legacy, and lastly talk about Putin's anti-corruption campaign and the rise of the oligarchs. Putin doesn't answer Stone's question about the plans for the 2018 elections. Putin says his goal is to "reinforce" Russia, and I believe it.
You realize that Putin is lying to you, and the Russian absolutely intervened in the election, again, clearly, as revenge for US policies in Ukraine. Did you even watch the interviews?
^your trolling is so lazy Igor

Thanks for the breakdown, MB.

I personally don't believe that, in regards to the voting process, the Russians went beyond spearfishing simply because casting doubt on the election was enough to accomplish their goals. It's the perfect middle ground for them.

Also I work a lot and lol no way I'm going to spend a Saturday afternoon watching it. One of the more plausible theories I have heard is that Russia didn't directly hack the DNC, but that a third party might have done so and they knew Russia would pay well for it. Which doesn't make them any less complicit.

One of my favorite PoFo storylines is how Igor lives in Australia and wants to be Russian but he will never actually move there because he'd have to give up his sweet gig of helping his parents run their office janitorial service. Which I personally do not find that impressive because I work in a building tall enough where that service is not contracted out to third parties.
Beren wrote:It's also an advantage if the professional in question is a good-looking and intelligent woman you can flirt with. ;)

This woman is really a good professional, and her ancient profession is called "Prostitution".
She does not sell her body in physical sense, but the difference is not too big.

She is a good looking and good payed prostitute, her owners are satisfied with her work. And if she was an intelligent human being, she would have realised what her real profession is.

There is a new term "Press-Titutes" that describes this phenomenon.

MB. wrote:You realize that Putin is lying to you, and the Russian absolutely intervened in the election, again, clearly, as revenge for US policies in Ukraine. Did you even watch the interviews?

You realise that repeating a BS billion times does not prove anything?

As Putin pointed out, it does not make any sense in influence an American election, because the candidates have to play to a scenario, that was not written by the voters, and after the election the POTUS can forget everything that he promised to his voters.

If Russians wanted to subvert the USA, they would have subverted the American media, the financial system, and after that just bought all congressmen and pre-selected the candidates for a presidential election.

And what is the best prove that Russia does not have any influence on American political process?
Well, if they really had an influence, nobody would dare to talk about this influence.

Think about influence of what state "American" MSM and politician would never dare to talk, and you will find out what foreign country is really controlling the political process in the USA.

Oliver Stone mentioned this lobby of a foreign country in his interview, and this mentioning was immediately cut out by the owners of the wanna be "free media" in the USA.

Wow, I guess you didn't really watch this interview series either. Astonishing. I just watched the whole thing and you'd have to be so ideologically blind to miss Stone's pretty compelling investigation into the issue. Well I guess I know never to trust anything you say again. Thanks for the heads up

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]