The Gift of Death, Advertising in Secret - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Language, bias, ownership, influence; all media related topics.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Ads like this one belong in a military-corporate edifice museum, so future generations can learn from our primitive propaganda techniques.

In this potent piece of advertising, we see a carefully crafted 'American Dream' on full display. Scenes from War & Peace can be seen floating over the horizon, as mundane minute-men on the clock count tick-tock tickets andbecome heroes, Jungian archetypes, kissing kin, returning to the commerce altar... At the core of its myth, synergistic poetic rhythm and blue-collar-blues (music, images, and blue collar values) provide the dualistic interpretation of its cultural message. Exoterically, the sensuous surface or conscious layer (active ingredients or theatrical elements) of this ad attach its high-definition pattern of perception to the melting pot populaces prowess, and the 'bad boys from Boston' (Aerosmith) allow Walmart to blend their opioid-fueled soundscape with patriotic service and progressive fidelity in order to manufacture a fixed perspective for the Cylon-esque crowd (do androids dream of eclectic Walmart commercials?). As the age of information, automation, and Amazon, obsolesce the old service environment, Walmart must scramble to use the rapidly fading and aging folklore of the 20th century to reinvigorate its consumer base and sociopolitical position. Ironically, the globalist multi-nationalist corporation tries to emulate the shadow of 'Trump Tower' to distort the vision of middle-class America as it attempts to regressively retrofit its identity with industrious sentiment through a minute+ of commercial psychological propaganda. Nonetheless, the esoteric sacrifice bleeds through Walmart's 'jobs' campaign and we're left with the gift of death, a secret hidden in our modern montage media.

Manufacturing inception

Sing with me, just for today
Maybe tomorrow, the good Lord will take you away
Sing with me, sing for the year
Sing for the laughter, sing for the tear

Sampling such sardonic lines in order to subconsciously tie down the 'down-to-earth' market... See, 'down-to-earth' people do down to earth things, and the audio-visual cryptogram may only be observed and critiqued through careful examination, because the secrets of the psyche remain hidden or inaccessible for those psychologically involved in the drama on stage.
Last edited by RhetoricThug on 11 Jul 2017 21:06, edited 1 time in total.
I find all TV/video advertising to be highly authoritarian in nature. Invariably the advertisement is telling you about some aspect of your life that the advertisers believe is deficient. Phrases like, "You wouldn't..." or "You always try the hardest..." or "you deserve the best..." etc are all designed to 1) normalize whatever behaviour the advertisers want you adopt and 2) reveal bogus deficiencies in a cheap bid to hawk merchandise.

I can't believe people actaully watch advertising and think, "Yes, corporate images on TV/youtube, you are right about my need for superior shampoo!"

My gut reaction is always to be appalled at the audacity of some corporate firm trying to tell me how to think.

As for the walmart advertisement above, since the stock footage is basically meaningless to me- despite whatever emotions it is meant to generate in the target audience- one invariably wonders why anyone would celebrate Walmart's "billions of dollars investment in new jobs"? The fact that some team of people had to design this ad, film it, licence the music rights, buy the airtime, etc etc, is just depressing as fuck since they apparently never even imagined the following:

Wouldn't that money be better spent improving the wages of the blue collar labourers the advertisement pretends to celebrate? Yet again, my instinctual reaction is to be disgusted at Walmart's disregard for the very workers it claims to be celebrating.
I love the Walmart ad where they are bragging about hiring a million American workers. America really needs another million minimum wage workers. :roll:
MB. wrote:My gut reaction is always to be appalled at the audacity of some corporate firm trying to tell me how to think.

My gut reaction is to avoid watching commercials, which is why I rarely watch TV. I watch movies on Netflix and Amazon, and that's about it.

As for the walmart advertisement above, since the stock footage is basically meaningless to me- despite whatever emotions it is meant to generate in the target audience- one invariably wonders why anyone would celebrate Walmart's "billions of dollars investment in new jobs"?

Well, that's the sucking up to Trump's base part. A big part of Trump's campaign message was about bringing back/keeping jobs in the U.S., and Walmart is capitalizing on that resonating with the target audience.
Last edited by anna on 11 Jul 2017 21:20, edited 1 time in total.
anna wrote:Propaganda, yes.

Basically, Walmart is sucking up to the Trump base even as it sucks them dry.
Anna, that's a small detail that seems relevant due to your time/space. This commercial captures a timeless struggle, the cycle of civilization. You're watching a microcosm of society unfold in the form of a human story, an eternal truth; Walmart, like other 'idea organisms' incarnate, revolve around the cyclic nature of everything in existence. In short, the ad is a condensed version of human history and you may find a part of yourself in its reflection. Of course, historically, death is the only gift we receive as we rise and fall with the stars.
RhetoricThug wrote:Anna, that's a small detail that seems relevant due to your time/space.

Yes, I realize that, you've caught me out. I was instinctively and purposefully avoiding your larger vision. Because... reasons. :hmm:

This commercial captures a timeless struggle, the cycle of civilization. You're watching a microcosm of society unfold in the form of a human story, an eternal truth; Walmart, like other 'idea organisms' incarnate, revolve around the cyclic nature of everything in existence. In short, the ad is a condensed version of human history and you may find a part of yourself in its reflection. Of course, historically, death is the only gift we receive as we rise and fall with the stars.

I suspect you could make a walk into town for an ice cream cone into a quest story, where the main protagonist comes to self-knowledge over a double scoop of chocolate chip. I mean that in a good way, it's meant to be a compliment.

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]