I hate articles like this - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Language, bias, ownership, influence; all media related topics.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Abood
What's Generation Y? It's called Generation XXL.
By Ford Prefect
One more time, andres. Please.
By Riot
Whether you like it or not, that's his perception. I bet it's the perception of a lot of people. You can either deal with it or try to change his (their) perception. In my experience it's easier to deal with it because people's perceptions are the only reality that matters.

Edited for syntax.
Last edited by Riot on 16 May 2007 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
By The Immortal Goon
There's an interesting idea that generations (particularly in the US and UK) are trapped in this kind of cyclical cycle.

This "Generation Y" is a kind of civic "hero" generation that has lots of gumption and go-get-it-ness and will save and uphold the world, blah, blah blah.

I would be the last of the 13th Generation, according to this, which is oddly apt. I always identified with, according to the theory, my predecessor the "Lost Generation" more than anyone else.

The theory doesn't really stand up in the end, but it's interesting anyway.

-TIG :rockon:
By Stipe
Whether you like it or not, that's his perception. I bet it's the perception of a lot of people. You can either deal with it or try to change his (their) perception. In my experience it's easier to deal with it because people's perceptions, are the only reality that matters.

I don't think Mikolaj has any particular problem with this individual's perception in particular since the article is on the whole pretty positive.

The problem that I see with it is that it's kind of an inane exercise, trying to create some uniform characterization for an entire generation. An age bracket will share some things in common based on exposure to the culture of their time. However, if one spends the five minutes it takes to go beyond the most superficial generalizations and to realize that they're talking about millions of people coming from wildly diverse social and class backgrounds, and whose relationships to some of the cultural forces highlighted in the article are often divergent or even oppositional, then one eventually has to realize that the image of the generation presented in the article, regardless of the author's judgements, exists only in the article.
By Gnote
Aside from trying to generalize to an entire segment of the population, which the author admits is "crass," I thought the article was pretty fucking awesome.

They're ambitious, they're demanding and they question everything, so if there isn't a good reason for that long commute or late night, don't expect them to do it.

Fucken eh.

Some 64 million skilled workers will be able to retire by the end of this decade, according to the Conference Board, and companies will need to go the extra mile to replace them, even if it means putting up with some outsized expectations. There is a precedent for this: In April 1969, Fortune wrote, "Because the demand for their services so greatly exceeds the supply, young graduates are in a strong position to dictate terms to their prospective employers. Young employees are demanding that they be given productive tasks to do from the first day of work, and that the people they work for notice and react to their performance."

I've been saying this for a while now.

"This is the most high-maintenance workforce in the history of the world," says Bruce Tulgan, the founder of leading generational-research firm RainmakerThinking.

:lol:

When it comes to Gen Y's intangible characteristics, the lexicon is less than flattering. Try "needy," "entitled." Despite a consensus that they're not slackers, there is a suspicion that they've avoided that moniker only by creating enough commotion to distract from the fact that they're really not that into "work."

Fucken eh, again.

"I had a conversation with the CFO of a big company in New York," says Tamara Erickson, co-author of the 2006 book "Workforce Crisis," "and he said, 'I can't find anyone to hire who's willing to work 60 hours a week. Can you talk to them?' And I said, 'Why don't I start by talking to you? What they're really telling you is that they're sorry it takes you so long to get your work done.'"

Beauty.
By Mikolaj
The problem that I see with it is that it's kind of an inane exercise, trying to create some uniform characterization for an entire generation.

EXACTLY! That's what bothers me about it.
By Gnote
It's not perfect, but you can interpret this sort of research in terms of most Gen Yers prefering this situation over another, this type of work over that, one office arrangement over another, etc.
By Boondock Saint
THere's nothing wrong with what the author wrote or is doing here ...

He is not pigeon holing an entire generation, he is only pigeon holing those of that generation that the professional business world is likely to come into contact with. Honestly, he's pretty spot on too.

Sure, there are slackers in the Y generation but they don't count. Neither do the people at McDonald's or the guy who fixes your flat at Tony's Tire Shop. The people that count are the professionals of the Y generation, they're the ones he's talking about and again, spot on.
By Kylie
he is only pigeon holing those of that generation that the professional business world is likely to come into contact with. Honestly, he's pretty spot on too.

Boon is right here. However, I'm always thought in terms of pigeon-holing myself into a particular generation, I could relate more to X, though technically I'm in Y.

I'm generationally challenged. :p
By Boondock Saint
Kylie wrote:I could relate more to X, though technically I'm in Y.

Same here.

Since Y begins in 77 and I was born in 78 I really can't find myself as being part of X or Y. Really I was too late to be part of X and I'm too old to really be a part of Y.

The idea that I'm part of my nephews generation is nonsensical, at best. But then, I am not really a part of my sisters generation either ...
By Kylie
The idea that I'm part of my nephews generation is nonsensical, at best. But then, I am not really a part of my sisters generation either ...

Werd! According to Wiki,the years of Generation X are not clearly defined. Further proof that we're generationally challenged.
Last edited by Kylie on 16 May 2007 17:37, edited 1 time in total.
By Gnote
Our organization has held workshops on this issue. They're trying to help us all four generations get along. :) They handed out little cards that describe each generation, but are always quick to qualify it by reminding us that not everyone will fit into a single category, despite their age. I'm definitely a Y, though I lean slightly toward X as well.
By Eauz
Gnote wrote:Our organization has held workshops on this issue. They're trying to help us all four generations get along. They handed out little cards that describe each generation, but are always quick to qualify it by reminding us that not everyone will fit into a single category, despite their age. I'm definitely a Y, though I lean slightly toward X as well.
This is actually quite ridiculous and a waste of time. The whole point to a position, within a capitalist production system, is to ensure that they get the most surplus-labour (and under market production, surplus-value), out of its employees. So, if I get a job at XYZ company, they really don't care if I think John who is 55, is dumb for liking some 60's rock band. The whole point to someone being at work, is to perform the duties of the position. If you really can't get along or ignore someone's stupid actions, then either tell your supervisor, or get out of the position. In the end, you took the interview, and were accepted based on your skills and abilities, so that is pretty much all that is important in the matter. It may help improve efficiency at the workplace, however you were not hired to a position, to give attitude to another employee who you can't get along with for 8 hours of the day.
By Boondock Saint
Mik wrote:Is he though?

Yes.

Eauz wrote:his is actually quite ridiculous and a waste of time.

Not really, it makes sense.

Contrary to your stone view of the office work space, American office workers actually have personalities and different sub-cultures which can have a negative or positive effect on the workplace. Best to address these differences and bring about an environment of cooperation and understanding.

Again, this kind of workshop is not going to happen for everyone. The guys in the mail room, the janitors, the garbage service and the security guards don't count. They might all work for the same corporation but they're not executives or management and THAT is who counts. You want management to work together and do it smoothely, if that means having an inter-office meeting discussing differences between generations then so be it.

I think some folks are confused as to who this applies to, it only applies to those who matter. Those who do not matter simply, do not matter.
By Gnote
Quoting the cards I was given...

Pre-Boomer

Gifts to the Organization

Loyal
Hard work ethic
Wisdom, stability and tenured experience
Want to maintain part-time positions of leadership

Motivating Expectations

To be respected for their wisdom and experience
Like to be in charge of the direction that the organization is going
To have their own opinion matter, asked for and used
Recognition and appreciation for experience and knowledge

Training Expectations

Involvement in facilitating programs
Asked for their assistance and being a mentor to others
Harness their expertise on committees/focus groups
Require techonology upgrading
Provide opportunities for them to share their wisdom with others

Communication Expectations

Speak frankly and honestly
Ask for their opinions and wait for the answer
Use their advice, don't just ask for it
Prefer personal contact, use face to face communication, don't rely on email
Tends to lean toward a more formal communication style
Expects a high degree of respect during communication

Boomer

Loyal to profession
Strong work ethic
Wisdom and experience
Achievement oriented

Motivating Expectations

Ask for their input and use it
Respect their loyalty and tenure
Acknowledge their work ethic and experience
Reward with perks/status
Encourage life/work balance
Involve them in being change agents and provide opportunities to lead

Traning Expectations

Provide technology skill upgrading and increase informal education
Want to be involved in facilitation programs, cross mentorship and skill-development initiatives
Respect their level of experience, encourage them to share their wisdom in the classroom and on the job
Look for ways to maintain their education to stay on top of trends

Give constant constructive feedback thta is timely, accurate and very specific
Use questions as teachable moments and ensure open lines of communication
Promote and discuss, not a top down approach
Allow them to challenge the status quo and speak their opinions safely

Generation X

Innovative and creative
Higher level of education and diverse range of skills
Entrepreneurial and independent
Values career opportunities and wanting to make a difference

Motivating Expecations

Create community and a sense of contribution
Provide avenues to grow personally and professionally, support work/life balance and make work 'fun'
Demonstrate that their opinion counts
Provide a career development roadmap
Find ways for them to make a difference at work
Allow them to be entrepreneurial (ie. control to prioritize work load)
Manage by results vs. process

Training Expectations

Coach more and tell less, avoid dictating unnecessary rules, rather concentrate on practices and information needed
Invest in current training and technology (multi-media)
Provide self directed learning/cross training opportunities for quick advancement, promote lateral moves for skill development
Use experiential methods which promote creativity, strategic thinking and problem solving
Allow opportunities to learn at their own pace from multiple information sources

Clearly define objectives and goals, then give freedom to achieve
Give constructive feedback that is timely, accurate and very specific
Use questions as teachable moments and ensure open lines of communication
Coach and mentor, avoid micromanaging, promote discussion and avoid a top down approach
Allow them to challenge the status quo and speak their opinions safely

Generation Y

Embraces diversity and change
Highly technologically advanced
Entrepreneurial and independent thinkers
Socially responsible

Motivating Expecations

Find out with their goals are and who is important to them
Create mentorship opportunities with other generations
Support life/work balance
Strive hard to become a diverse workforce
Make work 'fun'
Demonstrate a values match between them and company

Training Expectations

Provide intranet discussion groups, self directed training, multi media traning and a career development roadmap
Invest in top of the line technology and leading edge training programs
Provide and multiply resources and shortened training time
Use experiential methods to allow for creative development, strategic thinking and problem solving
Use cross mentorship and provide education on specific roles

Give consistent, timely, constructive feedback that is accurate and very specific
Demonstrate a corporate culture that supports the individual
Provide coaching and mentoring, practice informal discussions rather than a top down approach to communication and avoid hierarchy
Promote an informal approach to communication
Allow them a direct say in what is to be, allow them to define objectives and then trust them to execute it
Promote lateral moves for skill development
By Kylie
They're ambitious, they're demanding and they question everything, so if there isn't a good reason for that long commute or late night, don't expect them to do it. When it comes to loyalty, the companies they work for are last on their list - behind their families, their friends, their communities, their co-workers and, of course, themselves.

Well, I can relate to this somewhat. Especially the last part of the companies they work for are last on the list of priorities. I know where I work, it *IS* the last on my list. The first part, I can't relate to so much, but I do see it happen amongst the young professional at my workplace. Is it pigeon-holing? Yes. Does it perpetuate stereotypes? Hells yes. Stereotypes, in this particular instance, start from observations from large groups of people. It's nothing more than a fluff article with interesting points.

I think she’s going to be a great president for M[…]

Taiwan-China crisis.

Putting all the potential blame on the US and cal[…]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_b[…]

How could you tell, querida? :lol: I am waiting[…]