Did We Just Discover Aliens? Harvard Researchers Think So. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
#14960371
ALIENS!!!!

So apparently some researchers from Harvard have decided to issue an official report that they have determined the most reasonable explanation for an object in space discovered in our solar system last year was an Alien Probe because it "accelerated" in a fashion that cannot be explained otherwise.

Image

The Huff Post Reports:

A massive flattened boulder-like object traveling through space with “peculiar acceleration” could be an alien craft, according to a new study.

It “may be a fully operational probe sent intentionally to Earth vicinity by an alien civilization,” states a paper by two Harvard scientists to be published Nov. 12 in The Astrophysical Journal Letters.

Scientists have been confounded by the interstellar object first spotted tumbling past the sun a year ago via telescopes on Maui. It was dubbed ’Oumuamua, which means “scout” in Hawaiian.

Because of its unusual cigar shape and speed, some quickly speculated that it originated from an alien civilization. It was scanned for radio waves, but none were detected. Other scientists deemed it a comet, despite the lack of a traditional tail.

Now professor Avi Loeb, chairman of Harvard’s astronomy department, and post-doctoral fellow Shmuel Bialy have again raised the possibility that it’s an alien ship — or possibly a piece of one.

A certain “discrepancy” in the object’s movement “is readily solved if ’Oumuamua does not follow a random trajectory but is rather a targeted probe,” they write. Such a probe may have been intentionally sent for a “reconnaissance mission into the inner region of the solar system,” Loeb said in an email to Universe Today.

It’s possible the object is propelled through space through some naturally occurring phenomenon. Or it could be an extraterrestrial spacecraft that relies on an “artificial” light sail that relies on solar radiation pressure to generate propulsion, according to Loeb.

“There is data on the orbit of this object for which there is no other explanation. So we wrote this paper suggesting this explanation,” Loeb told the Boston Globe. “The approach I take to the subject is purely scientific and evidence-based.”

Andrew Siemion, director of the Berkeley SETI Research Center, called the paper “intriguing” in an email to the Globe.

“Observational anomalies like we see with Oumuamua, combined with careful reasoning, is exactly the method through which we make new discoveries in astrophysics — including, perhaps, truly incredible ones like intelligent life beyond the Earth,” he wrote.

But SETI senior astronomer Seth Shostak said in an email to NBC that “one should not blindly accept this clever hypothesis when there is also a mundane explanation for ’Oumuamua — namely that it’s a comet or asteroid from afar.”

’Oumuamua is the first interstellar object ever observed in the solar system. Now it’s hurtling away and may never be seen again.


https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tr ... 67a87fa62e
#14960374
I read that article also. It is amazing such an interesting object may pass by without thorough investigation. The answers may be right in front of us and we aren’t capable of seeing them.
#14960378
Victoribus Spolia wrote:What answers?

:eh:

Are there other intelligent species? Do they have a life span that allows interstellar travel at these speeds? Is panspermia a result of these ‘probes’?
#14961900
Strange, I remember when this thing entered our system. People immediately suggested Oumuamua is a probe. I wouldn't be surprised. Funny how alien related news is quickly abandoned or recycled. Remember the Pentagon UFO story, viewtopic.php?f=76&t=172395

Sadly, Interstellar aliens would not be interested in contacting a war-mongering tribe of schizophrenic humanoids. They'd most likely watch from afar, watch our evolution, etc.

Remember this: ‘Aliens prevented nuclear war on Earth’: Former NASA astronaut makes unexpected claim

https://www.rt.com/usa/312364-aliens-nuclear-war-earth/

And this: Aliens Are Monitoring Our Nukes, Worry Ex-Air Force Officers

https://www.foxnews.com/science/aliens- ... e-officers

If we want to make contact, we must end the war on ourselves.
#14961909
There are no ''Aliens'' as such. As far as sentient beings go, there are 'only' human beings in this Cosmos, and the Angels, the fallen (Demons) and also the Heavenly, and the hybrid Nephilim that are a cross between the Demons and Mankind.

Far from being seeded by some distant world with life, Earth itself is ''Panspermia'', the Source of material life in Creation.

Everything else is bullshit extrapolations and fanciful speculations from the theory of Evolution and Cosmological assumptions dating from the modern period.

Of course I don't expect others to believe me in this; the delusions of Aliens and Extraterrestrial life are well set within the modern mind, so much that even a miracle showing otherwise would not dislodge the mythology from persons seeped in Modernity. But so I state what I believe, and refuse to believe otherwise.
#14961976
At first I was excited by this news but having thought about it a bit it is clear to me that it is in fact really terrible news, so terrible that it likely represents an existential risk for our species. Here is why:

1. The fact that the probe has now passed on does not mean it did not leave something behind. In all likelihood the resources put into the probe was not done for no purpose and the most likely purpose is pre-colonisation prep through Von Neumann machines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-repl ... ann_probes

Von Neumann probes delivered by this "scout" could have seeded all the choice real estate of our solar system where they will get to work exponentially replicating and terraforming, building infrastructure and collecting resources in advance of whoever sent the probes. Our own species has yet to permanently colonise even our local moon. If this extra-solar species has gotten a head start on us in our own solar backyard then we might find that within a hundred years that if we are really lucky we will get to keep the earth but will have nowhere to expand to from there.

2. They did not say "hello". Any probe that enters our solar system could hardly have missed the panoply of radio waves being emitted by our planet. If they did not know we are here already then they certainly do now. The friendly thing to do would be to say "hello" and exchange some info, like we did (probably naively) with our voyager probe.

Image

That they did not, having come all this way, say "hello" markedly increases the probability that they are at best indifferent to us and at worst implacably hostile. The only other reason for stealth mode might be some kind of star trek like "prime directive" to avoid interfering with primitive species but honestly I don't favour the odds of that especially given that we aren't that primitive.

Given this it seems very likely that our solar system has already begun being colonised by an extra-solar species considerably more advanced technologically than us and probably hostile. If so then the odds for our survival as a species has dropped dramatically.
#14961983
SolarCross wrote:At first I was excited by this news but having thought about it a bit it is clear to me that it is in fact really terrible news, so terrible that it likely represents an existential risk for our species. Here is why:

1. The fact that the probe has now passed on does not mean it did not leave something behind. In all likelihood the resources put into the probe was not done for no purpose and the most likely purpose is pre-colonisation prep through Von Neumann machines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-repl ... ann_probes

Von Neumann probes delivered by this "scout" could have seeded all the choice real estate of our solar system where they will get to work exponentially replicating and terraforming, building infrastructure and collecting resources in advance of whoever sent the probes. Our own species has yet to permanently colonise even our local moon. If this extra-solar species has gotten a head start on us in our own solar backyard then we might find that within a hundred years that if we are really lucky we will get to keep the earth but will have nowhere to expand to from there.

2. They did not say "hello". Any probe that enters our solar system could hardly have missed the panoply of radio waves being emitted by our planet. If they did not know we are here already then they certainly do now. The friendly thing to do would be to say "hello" and exchange some info, like we did (probably naively) with our voyager probe.

Image

That they did not, having come all this way, say "hello" markedly increases the probability that they are at best indifferent to us and at worst implacably hostile. The only other reason for stealth mode might be some kind of star trek like "prime directive" to avoid interfering with primitive species but honestly I don't favour the odds of that especially given that we aren't that primitive.

Given this it seems very likely that our solar system has already begun being colonised by an extra-solar species considerably more advanced technologically than us and probably hostile. If so then the odds for our survival as a species has dropped dramatically.


And that, that is the set-up for the coming scenario of deception. ''Alien appearance'' followed by ''we have mutual enemies, also alien'', followed by ''pick a side''...
#14962031
annatar1914 wrote:And that, that is the set-up for the coming scenario of deception. ''Alien appearance'' followed by ''we have mutual enemies, also alien'', followed by ''pick a side''...

Sounds like the history of every third-world country during the Cold War. When the aliens do finally arrive, we'll probably be Laos during the Vietnam War. :lol:
#14962044
The thing I see with Aliens isn't whether they exist (it seems likely they will somewhere), but the ability to travel and produce contact. After all, Humans are unique on this planet. We have the capacity to invent and create while the rest of this planet merely survive on natural instinct. So to have any form of contact, you first need life. Then you need complex life. Then intelligent life. Then the means to create stellar space travel and then a means to contact which is compatible to us. And even with all of that they also need to find us in the vast emptiness of space too. As we humans are by far the most likely creatures to do this on our planet and we are no where near this advanced to be able to do this to find other intelligent aliens today - we shouldn't be surprised if we never have contact actually. So I suspect this is the most likely reason we have not had any contact yet.

As for the 'So called probe' it may well be an alien probe. And perhaps that is the most reasonable explanation today. But acceleration could be explained by other unknown factors so I wouldn't rule that this is conclusive. I certainly wouldn't be celebrating ET phoning home just yet.
#14962054
RhetoricThug wrote:People immediately suggested Oumuamua is a probe. I wouldn't be surprised.

I wouldn't be surprised too since its trajectory was like it had been dropped in the Solar System to take a look at the inner regions and leave. I wonder though what information they could get about the Earth from 24.4 million kilometres.

Image
#14962060
B0ycey wrote:The thing I see with Aliens isn't whether they exist (it seems likely they will somewhere), but the ability to travel and produce contact.



We have the technical capability of doing it now, in another few centuries energy and propulsion, robotics, artificial intelligence, bio-engineering will have advanced to the point that multi century missions are totally feasible. I think the reason we don't get any visitors is intelligent life is extremely rare, not because interstellar travel is unworkable.
#14962065
Sivad wrote:We have the technical capability of doing it now, in another few centuries energy and propulsion, robotics, artificial intelligence, bio-engineering will have advanced to the point that multi century missions are totally feasible. I think the reason we don't get any visitors is intelligent life is extremely rare, not because interstellar travel is unworkable.


Sure, but do you think humanity will be able to produce interstellar travel? Or that Alien will communicate through radio transmission because we do? Or that they will have the means for these things along with their intelligence? At best today we have Voyager. And that has only just left our solar system!

These are major factors why I suspect we have had no contact today. But that is different from saying there be no contact in the future.
#14962066
B0ycey wrote:Sure, but do you think humanity will be able to produce interstellar travel? At best today we have Voyager. And that has only just left ourl solar system!


Voyager isn't the best we can do, it's just all we've bothered to do because we've been wasting our time energy and resources on stupid shit like war and consumerism. If we weren't such shitty little monkeys we'd have already colonized the solar system.
#14962068
Sivad wrote:Voyager isn't the best we can do, it's just all we've bothered to do because we've been wasting our time energy and resources on stupid shit like war and consumerism. If we weren't such shitty little monkeys we'd have already colonized the solar system.


I think you underestimate the technological headaches and human physical challenges with space technology. It is one of the reasons I suspect life for us will always be Earth based and never be like Star trek. Although I do agree with your point that if money was no factor and humanity invested more time in space, our probes would be better than they are now.
#14962070
B0ycey wrote:I think you underestimate the technological headaches and human physical challenges with space technology. It is one of the reasons I suspect life for us will always be Earth based and never be like Star trek. Although I do agree with your point that if money was no factor and humanity invested more time in space, our probes would be better than they are now.



It's never gonna be like Star Trek, that's just fantasy nonsense, but there aren't any major intractable technical problems preventing us from colonizing space. There are technical challenges but none that are beyond our present engineering capabilities.
#14962089
annatar1914 wrote:And that, that is the set-up for the coming scenario of deception. ''Alien appearance'' followed by ''we have mutual enemies, also alien'', followed by ''pick a side''...


Something that big couldn't be faked. Spooks potentially could assassinate an inconvenient president and get it put down to a "lone gunman" but that kind of shenanigans is small potatoes compared with faking up an alien civilisation mushrooming up in our solar backyard, that is quite beyond the means of even the spookiest of spooks.

---------

Beren wrote:I wouldn't be surprised too since its trajectory was like it had been dropped in the Solar System to take a look at the inner regions and leave. I wonder though what information they could get about the Earth from 24.4 million kilometres.

Image


I am sure they did more than take a look. It will have dropped off Von Neumann devices right on flight paths to intercept earth and our moon, venus, mars and the astroid belt.
#14962096
We don’t even know why we think the way we do. How can we possibly imagine what aliens are and how they think? We have nothing for comparison except ourselves and we don’t even think very highly of our own species. I can’t imagine aliens having much interest in us other than oddities.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 8

In my opinion, only crazy liberals would think we[…]

Sorry for the trouble with the links. This sho[…]

Individuals suspected of making a false accusatio[…]

Trump and Russiagate

Avenatti will probably represent himself. I can’t[…]