What the Dutch got, that we ain't got - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
late wrote:What the Dutch got, that we ain't got

The reality is we will improve our lives by reducing CO2...

The reason U.S. cities don't resemble Dutch cities is due to racial division, crime, middle class flight.

Oh, and guess what? Now that Europe is becoming more "diverse", it's causing all sorts of problems and the flight out of the cities is already beginning. It won't be good for the environment.

When cities are too unsafe or uncomfortable because everyone there isn't like you, people want to retreat to the suburbs and have more space and privacy from other people. This requires a car and leads to long commute times.

Don't forget about immigration leading to population numbers going up too fast. Making affordability in the cities more difficult, but people still have to work there because that's where the money is. Previous people from the last generation who have the money or run the companies. So it leads to commute times.

Of course the Progressive Left is blind to this and can't see it even if it is pointed out to them.

On top of that, the latest stupid Dutch environmental regulations are killing farms. So don't expect to see much open green space anywhere close to the cities in the future.
Puffer Fish wrote:
The reason U.S. cities don't resemble Dutch cities is due to racial division, crime, middle class flight.

Oh, and guess what? Now that Europe is becoming more "diverse", it's causing all sorts of problems and the flight out of the cities is already beginning. It won't be good for the environment.

When cities are too unsafe or uncomfortable because everyone there isn't like you, people want to retreat to the suburbs and have more space and privacy from other people. This requires a car and leads to long commute times.

Don't forget about immigration leading to population numbers going up too fast. Making affordability in the cities more difficult, but people still have to work there because that's where the money is. Previous people from the last generation who have the money or run the companies. So it leads to commute times.

Of course the Progressive Left is blind to this and can't see it even if it is pointed out to them.

On top of that, the latest stupid Dutch environmental regulations are killing farms. So don't expect to see much open green space anywhere close to the cities in the future.

BS.

The Netherlands is working towards a low carbon future. There is a graph at the beginning of the video showing how much more carbon Americans emit, than the Dutch.

But blindly thrashing about does hold a minor amusement value.
late wrote:BS.

The Netherlands is working towards a low carbon future. There is a graph at the beginning of the video showing how much more carbon Americans emit, than the Dutch.

If Americans all lived in a place like New York City, didn't have "bad neighborhoods", and didn't manufacture or process anything of their own, then they would produce as little CO2 as the Dutch.

But you are being unrealistic and ignoring the realities.

City design and urban sprawl have a lot to do with this. So to the fact that the U.S. is a continent and produces and processes many things, whereas the Netherlands is a small densely populated country and more likely to import things produced in other countries.
Puffer Fish wrote:
If Americans all lived in a place like New York City, didn't have "bad neighborhoods", and didn't manufacture or process anything of their own, then they would produce as little CO2 as the Dutch.

But you are being unrealistic and ignoring the realities.

City design and urban sprawl have a lot to do with this. So to the fact that the U.S. is a continent and produces and processes many things, whereas the Netherlands is a small densely populated country and more likely to import things produced in other countries.

That is still BS.

The Netherlands has worked hard to improve their energy efficiency, and it shows.

We have not, and that shows.

What you have there is a really, really dumb excuse trying to justify doing nothing.
Unthinking Majority wrote:Hard to compare the Netherlands to the US on carbon footprint because of the size of the geography. Shipping something from one end of the country to the other, for example. Population density is another factor, the US is far less dense.

If the carbon footprint of everything the Netherlands buys from other countries were calculated, I bet it would be a very different story.

The Netherlands also has a relatively mild climate, so little energy would need to be used on heating or air conditioning, I suspect. And then of course with a large percentage of the population living in cities that are very friendly and designed for bicycle use.
Unthinking Majority wrote:
Hard to compare the Netherlands to the US on carbon footprint because of the size of the geography. Shipping something from one end of the country to the other, for example. Population density is another factor, the US is far less dense.

Actually, it's not.

We have this thing called math..

We are egregiously wasteful, it's a generation past the time we needed to change.
In a nutshell, Americans live in suburbs because they want to put distance between themselves and people they don't like or can barely stand. Denser housing might work if we had segregation by lifestyle, so, for example, people who value peace and quiet could live in apartments where that is the enforced standard and booming music and parties are not allowed.

Of course, suburbs are no longer a guarantee of a middle-class neighborhood as even individual houses can become indoor cannabis farms or centers for drug dealing or prostitution. You can tell when a suburb is going downhill; the driveways and streets are full of parked cars as the number of people residing in each unit goes up.
Unthinking Majority wrote:
K where's the math then?

You're kidding.

Just looking at efficiency, there are enormous savings to be had. Google what you already know, if you're that deep in denial. I will give you one example, I drive a Prius. If I need a truck, I rent one... It's a hideously long list, trains are more efficient than trucks, pretty much everybody has cities that are more energy efficient than ours. Sure, you can quibble about the Netherlands, but if we did what they do, the energy savings would be massive. And the cities would be much nicer places to live.....

Ain't rocket science...

I fully understand it, Then what is my argume[…]

FiveofSwords you are severely misinformed about h[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Today I learned that Ukraine is not allowed to use[…]

This way started because the Israeli government a[…]