Element 110 named - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Brick
I've had some trouble understanding the motives behind creating new artificial elements.

These elements decay quickly, and are often made only a few atoms at a time

This would seem to indicate at best a limited practical usage for new elements. Is the motive scientific discovery for its own sake? Prestige? The fun of naming a new element (Brickium... :) )? If there is some real-world application I'm missing, I'd very much like it if any of you could enlighten me.

Brick
By Krasniy Yastreb
It's the wonderful world of science. People do stuff because they can. I suppose it also secures a place in history for whoever created the new element too...
By Demosthenes
I think just creating the new element is the goal in and of itself. "Look we humans can make yet another new element that's impossible to spell!"...of course it's radioactive...and only lasts a few seconds...and...uh...you can't actually see it... :?:
By MB.
Seconds ain't the right word you're looking for: try nanoseconds. ;)

As in, not to bloody dang long!

Of course, the idea (i'd imagine) behind all this neutron bombardment is to hopefully find a way of stabalizing the element so it can be used sucsessfuly: ie, Pu (Ploutonium- #94) is not found in nature but can be refined from Uranuim for uses in Nuclear power/weapons.

Though both these uses I dissaprove of. :)
By Brick
Mr Bill wrote:Of course, the idea (i'd imagine) behind all this neutron bombardment is to hopefully find a way of stabalizing the element so it can be used sucsessfuly

Is it worth spending the time, money and effort to create new elements just because we think we might stabilize them and maybe even find some use for them in the future? Seems to me you should have a good reason for doing this type of scientific research before you start. Kinda brings to mind the Apollo program, whose sole purpose was to put a man on the Moon and bring him safely back... And how, exactly, did the Moon landing benefit the average citizen? :roll:

Brick
By Comrade Ogilvy
And how, exactly, did the Moon landing benefit the average citizen?

That remains to be seen, when capitalists finally start taking tourists to the moon, and hopefully beyond, we'll all look back to that date in '69 that started it all.
By Demosthenes
And how, exactly, did the Moon landing benefit the average citizen?
ooo...oooo..me...me...me*raises hand, waves it at the teacher* *"OK Demo?"*

Has anybody here heard of teflon? or Tang (ya I know it sucks but all our parents really liked it...) Or any number of new consumer items that were born of the space program? Fancy computers? (yeah I know these came more out of th emilitary but nonetheless NASA's impact can't be entirely disputed. Rocket boosters for your car...oops we don''t have that yet do we? :lol: Freeze dried foods then?

Anyway I think most people take for granted the benfits from scientific research. Real benefits.
By Brick
Teflon

Freeze-drying was being developed long before space flight (and was notably used during WW2, I believe). And some sources say Tang was developed by NASA, while others say it was only adopted by it for the purposes of space flight... :?:

Anyway, I know Velcro and GPS aren't direct descendants of the space program. We could go on like this for a while, so I'll admit this much to smoothe your ruffled feathers: the space program did bring many previously lesser-known products into the public eye.

Brick
By Comrade Ogilvy
The space program has yielded a baby food that more perfectly imitates mother's milk: In looking for ways to create foods for long space flights, NASA came up with a formula that became a baby food called Formulaid.

Research on space-helmet visors yielded scratch-resistant coatings for earthbound eyeglasses.

Specially designed moonboots put more bounce in running shoes.

Wilson's Ultra golfball flies longer and straighter because of its pattern of dimples -- thanks to aerodynamic engineers at NASA.

The same sensors that told NASA controllers that John Glenn's heartbeat was A-OK during the Mercury launch now are used in intensive-care units around the world.

Space satellites don't just deliver "Andy Griffith" reruns on TV. Weather satellites save crops and even lives. Global positioning satellites have so improved air safety that GPS has been called the biggest aviation advance since the Wright Brothers.

Firefighting gear developed for the launching pad now protects firefighters worldwide.

The air conditioner uses NASA technology to gain efficiencies that prevent your utility bill from soaring into space.

A bit of space-derived technology, the smoke detector, has saved many lives on Earth.

Swimming pools stay clean longer because of NASA research into ways to keep water pure and safe on long flights.

A pump that was developed for the Mars Viking lander evolved to become the programmable, implantable insulin pump used for patients with type 1 diabetes.

Medical advances have been both esoteric -- the use of air-conditioned space suits for children whose bodies have lost the ability to cool themselves -- as well as commonplace -- heart pacemakers perfected using space research.

Many discoveries don't have immediate popular appeal. They come from basic research and are the unintended consequences of experiments that seem to have no immediate practical value.
But whether you see the long-range value of basic research, or whether you want something you can hold in your hand right now, the value is there.

http://www.mindspring.com/~bhusted/oldcols/nasa.html
By Demosthenes
yeah, what JT said, that was what I was trying to say...I'm just sleepier... :?:
By einstein
the only useful artifical element is plutonium :hmm: give up i say
By Brick
Great article, thanks for the link. Brick has learned something today. :O :D

Demosthenes wrote:yeah, what JT said, that was what I was trying to say...I'm just sleepier...

Hehe, from my experience you don't need to be fully awake to copy and paste. ;) Thanks anyway JT, but I'm perfectly capable of clicking on the link myself. :lol:

Brick
By Comrade Ogilvy
Thanks anyway JT, but I'm perfectly capable of clicking on the link myself.

Well then your perfectly capable of doing the research yourself and we would no be having this discussion. ;)
World War II Day by Day

On paper, and to a great extent in practice too, […]

This is a story about a woman who was denied adequ[…]

Yes, it does. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M[…]

He may have gotten a lot more votes than Genocide[…]