Is nuclear energy important to fight climate change? - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Ah, so has artificial intelligence. It's the combination of declining cost and increasing effectiveness that leads to widespread use.

That is not truth. AI does not exist even today. If you have evidence of the contrary please provide.
Really? In 1975, electronic computers had existed for over 30 years, but far less than 1% of households had one. Within 20 years, over 90% of households had one.

Also not truth. In 1997 only 37% of households had computers. That is 22 years after 1975 (you said 20) and 53% less.
https://www.census.gov/data/tables/2012 ... -2012.html

http://www.census.gov/prod/2013pubs/p20-569.pdf
Although impressive these numbers are far less impressive than what you claimed. Also you ignore the fact that computers DID not have a competitor, let alone a cheaper competitor. Today we have energy competitors that are far cheaper (and will remain like that for a couple of decades). Furthermore the buy-in for solar is far more than the buy-in for computers (at least for the last 30 years).
So please if you going to continue arguing your points with false information tell me now so I refrain from wasting my time.

But probably a lot closer than we are to practical fusion power.

You said "probably" not definitely. And the fact of the matter is neither of us know for certainty (neither of us are experts in the fields of energy storage, battery technology, nuclear physics, etc) Neither technology exist today. What we are arguing here is when they do exist which one would be preferable.
Let me put it this way. Assuming both of them are possible today which one is more reasonable to use? The one that we can do basically anywhere or the one that we can only use efficiently in some parts of the country because of winter times, cloudy climate, etc.?

There are lots of alternatives in the pipe, like flywheel storage, which has been proposed for cars, and capacitors.

Most of which offers only a fraction of the energy storage/weight (energy density) as compared to lithium ion batteries. Also more expensive. As it stands today, graphene batteries seem to be the most sensible alternative since they are expected to hold anywhere between 3x and 5x the capacity of lithium ion (at least for first generation devices) but I doubt we will be seeing these for a while and when we do it will probably be in smaller devices such as phones and tablets and slowly work its way up into cars and eventually houses. Lithium (which does exist today) is not a good option for several reasons. While you might easily put it in 1-5% of the households, there is really not enough lithium in the earth to mine to put in every single house and car in the united states let alone the rest of the word (which is ultimately the final goal anyhow). So except for future technologies that might (or night not) show up in the future, graphene seems to be the only reasonable choice and that is still a while away.

But solar is already reasonable, and has been for hundreds of millions of years: plants use it, and animals extract it from plants. What's really preposterous is thinking we can't make major advances on nature's system within the next few decades.

Again. Just because energy is available in abundance does not imply that its exploitation is economically or practically feasible. There is more energy in 1 gram of water than a single house could use for a hundred years yet we cannot use it. And not because something is in nature's system means it is reasonable either. In fact fossil fuel is readily found in nature and the methods that we use to obtain energy from them are by "natural means" yet I think we can at least agree that we should try to cut their use.
I'll bet you that solar accounts for a larger fraction of all human energy use than fusion as far into the future as it makes sense to speak of human energy use.

That statement is nonsensical as it denies itself. All solar energy is fusion energy but not all fusion energy is solar. So Fusion energy > Solar now and forever period. But I get what you are trying to say (even though you are saying it wrong.)

IMO most will be clean by 2050

Not even close. Furthermore not all clean energy is good for our environment. For instance wind turbines cause significant damage to birds. It might not be a big deal today since just a tiny portion of our energy is derived from wind but if lets say 20-30% was produced by these means the damage could (potentially) be rather catastrophically. (similar with damn/hydro electric, natural habitat disruption). The damage caused by these could ultimately be insignificant (and preferable) to the potential of destroying the whole planet. But if climate deniers are "dumb" for not even admitting climate change, we cannot fall into the same fallacy when it comes to reasonable steps to address this problem.

Ultimately I think changing our energy source will just have a minor impact on climate change. Energy production is one of the majors but not the only source of climate problems and even if we can go to 100% clean energy the other things that are contributing to climate change might be just as hard to change. Deforestation and habitat destruction for instance, farm animals methane production, etc. I think climate change will need ACTIVE containment and that we will have to come with technologies to recycle/capture greenhouse gases and other alternatives (there were NASA proposals to even put large diffusion lenses between our sun and our planet to help).
I think Nuclear Fusion is really optimum and important for us because beauty of this type of nuclear reactor is that its fuel is hydrogen, which can be obtained from water. (Remember, we have no problem with water)

Eventually, humanity is very close to achieving a clean energy source.

There is an article about that:

http://thinkandsay.net/nuclear-fusion/
Whocares386 wrote:I think Nuclear Fusion is really optimum and important for us because beauty of this type of nuclear reactor is that its fuel is hydrogen, which can be obtained from water. (Remember, we have no problem with water)

Solar does not even use up water.
Eventually, humanity is very close to achieving a clean energy source.

There is an article about that:

http://thinkandsay.net/nuclear-fusion/

If we had devoted to solar the amount of research funding that has been devoted to fusion, we would all have cheap solar power today. The difference is, solar is decentralized, under the control of each local person who buys a solar collector. That doesn't match the desire of rent seekers to take from everyone else. Fusion is under the central control of the power plant owner, so he can extract more wealth from the community.
Truth To Power wrote:Solar does not even use up water.

If we had devoted to solar the amount of research funding that has been devoted to fusion, we would all have cheap solar power today.

What do you do in the hours of darkness? Or even to compensate for the varying level of insolation during the course of a day? The varying duration?

I'm not against solar but we have to understand the constraints which are outside our control.
Besoeker wrote:What do you do in the hours of darkness? Or even to compensate for the varying level of insolation during the course of a day? The varying duration?

I'm not against solar but we have to understand the constraints which are outside our control.

Seriously. You couldn't make this up. How about a Flywheel? The fucking thing you claim to design for a living. I know it's bollocks of course, but knowing what a flywheel does would basically make this reply redundant.
Suntzu wrote:Or maybe just go directly to perpetual motion machine. Lots of ways of storing energy even pumping water uphill but with nukes you need none of that. Small self contained nukes near the point of consumption are the answer.

Yes, we should distribute those all over the developing world. :excited:
Besoeker wrote:What do you do in the hours of darkness? Or even to compensate for the varying level of insolation during the course of a day? The varying duration?

Of course there has to be energy storage to support use through the night. But the return of daylight is extremely predictable, unlike the case with, say, wind power.
No, nuclear energy is no solution to the climate change problem, because there is no problem with climate change.

With satellite data showing no global warming for 17 years and 10 months, and even the United Nation’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) acknowledging a “pause” in rising temperatures, it’s time to stop talking about a climate change problem, says Joe Bast, president and CEO of the Heartland Foundation.

"Global warming is still at the heart of climate change. All the climate changes are attributable to the increase in temperature in the climate, so even if they might want to talk about sea level rise and heat being stored in the lower ocean and all these indirect climate effects, the engine for that, the cause of all that is global warming,” Bast told CNSNews.com.

“And if there is no global warming, or if it’s paused, or if it’s less than what they thought, or if the human impact is less than they thought, then that whole paradigm collapses. Whether you call it climate change or global warming, if there’s no warming going on, it’s not a problem.”

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/bar ... te-change#.
Oxymoron wrote:No plugging world Volcanoes and investing in anti comet systems would make more difference since humans have almost no affect on climate change.

Don't give these crazy liberals more ideas. They have enough already to put us in bankruptcy.
Nuclear power will become politically possible once renewable energy is understood to be limited and too unreliable. Renewables thrive in subsidized environments when they get preferential tariffs, but modern grids can only take so much. Thus as the world runs out of fossil fuels and their prices increase, we will see a surge in nuclear plant construction.

Care: 73 Fairness: 77 Liberty: 83 In-group: 70 Pur[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

You just do not understand what politics is. Poli[…]

Are you aware that the only difference between yo[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I'm just free flowing thought here: I'm trying t[…]