Shark Tagging - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By ness31
What are people's thoughts on tagging sharks? My personal opinion is that it is interfering with their ability to hunt and capture their food source. I don't think we know the long term impacts of tagging and we might have made a mistake in rolling out programs.

Thoughts?
By starman2003
ness31 wrote:What are people's thoughts on tagging sharks? My personal opinion is that it is interfering with their ability to hunt and capture their food source.

How? Certain types of fish hitch a ride on sharks and they don't mind AFAIK so why would a tag harm them?

I don't think we know the long term impacts of tagging and we might have made a mistake in rolling out programs.

Doesn't it help us understand things like migration? Ignorance would probably hurt conservation efforts more.
By ness31
Code: Select allHow? Certain types of fish hitch a ride on sharks and they don't mind AFAIK so why would a tag harm them?

I'm not sure that is sufficient evidence that tagging doesn't affect either the hitchhiking fish or the sharks. An acoustic device that is emitting sound waves could have any amount of untold effects on marine life.

Code: Select allDoesn't it help us understand things like migration? Ignorance would probably hurt conservation efforts more.

Yes it does. We've learnt things about sharks that have gone contrary to long held beliefs. But is it worth it?

I don't think so.

Are you hoping I want aids? No, I want you to b[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

Then why are people like you so worried about The[…]

Liberals and centrists even feel comfortable justi[…]

Fake, it's reinvestment in communities attacked on[…]