Breaking news from Saturn. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
"Will Peggy finally reveal herself?"

WTF's 'Peggy', and why should we care?

"Scientists . . . know it exists but cannot quite see." Which roughly translated means they think it exists :eek: even though they can't actually see it DOH! :knife: , 'but give us another 10 years and lots of taxpayers' dollars oops, we mean 'government research funding' then we might come up with the definitive answer. And if we don't, then hey, give us another 10 years - we will eventually, promise!' But stay, what's this I read. . .

"The moonlet is named after London researcher Carl Murray's mother-in-law" So this 'Peggy' is a . . . wait for it . . . a moonlet - now why didn't I guess that? And it's named after some bloke's mother-in-law too.

Gimme a fucking break!! Is there's nothing which gullible disciples of NASA won't believe? 'moonlet' - if the mother-in-law's name is Ada it'll be Moonlet Ada?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-38599645

Well it would be a BBC link now, wouldn't it. :roll:
Diligent wrote:Fucking science. Right, Olly?

There's nowt wrong with science - where would we be without it? But I recognise fake science when I see it. 8)
After all, what's in it for you? Nuthin'! Bleedin' scientists, amirite Olly? :roll:
Potemkin wrote:After all, what's in it for you? Nuthin'! Bleedin' scientists, amirite Olly? :roll:

You call them 'scientists', Pote, I call 'em self-serving charlatans.
Right on, Olly! Throw da bums out of their cushy offices and make 'em do some real work fer a change! >:
:eh: Moonlet? When did this become a scientific term?

But hey, Saturn's rings consist of so much debris that we can assign a pebble to everyone and their uncle. :lol: I'd love a "Frollein" moonlet for Christmas myself.
Frollein wrote::eh: Moonlet? When did this become a scientific term?

Certainly by 1926:
Oxford English Dictionary wrote:1926 H. N. Russell et al. Astron. I. xii. 388 It is now universally admitted that the rings [of Saturn] are not continuous sheets of either liquid or solid matter, but a flock or swarm of separate particles, little ‘moonlets’.

And in regular use by NASA: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q="moonlet"+site%3Anasa.gov

OllytheBrit wrote:"Scientists . . . know it exists but cannot quite see." Which roughly translated means they think it exists :eek: even though they can't actually see it DOH!

We know there's a molten iron core for the Earth, but we can't see it. We don't have to have seen everything to know it exists. We can look at effects on other things. We know there are planets orbiting other stars that we haven't seen, but we have seen their effects on their suns.

'but give us another 10 years and lots of taxpayers' dollars oops, we mean 'government research funding' then we might come up with the definitive answer.

Except the article is all about how they're going to take pictures in the existing mission's last months.
Except the article is all about how they're going to take pictures in the existing mission's last months.

Stop trying to confuse Olly with the facts, PC! What are you, some kinda scientist-type feller? :eh:
Prosthetic Conscience wrote:We know there's a molten iron core for the Earth, but we can't see it. We don't have to have seen everything to know it exists. We can look at effects on other things. We know there are planets orbiting other stars that we haven't seen, but we have seen their effects on their sun

'we' this, 'we' that, 'we' the other? I see that Pote in his scepticism has just asked you, PC, but I'll ask you too - are you one of the um, what do they call themselves again? Oh yes, I remember - are you one of the physicists? I mean you seem to know so much about it all that I think you must be? Hmm! Image
You must be trolling with this. If I have learned anything about space from Star Trek, it's that your sensor game has to be on point. This is just practice for when we have to scan an alien ship for it's weakness and stuff a torpedo down their slimy throats. They're saving lives, here, Olly.
quetzalcoatl wrote:...and breaking news from Uranus can now be confirmed:

Yet another snippet of useless information which can't be proven, but it's the kind of 'fact' that impresses the believers amongst us. You know who I mean, those who in olden times would have sworn that the emperor is indeed wearing new clothes?? I hope my simile isn't too subtle for some? Probably will be though, but whaddya do? :roll:
OllytheScienceLover wrote:if the mother-in-law's name is Ada it'll be Moonlet Ada?

Naahh, 'cos they've already used 'Ada' to name an asteroid after a friend:

523 Ada is a minor planet orbiting the Sun. It was discovered January 29, 1904 by American astronomer Raymond S. Dugan at Heidelberg, Germany and was named after his friend Ada Helme.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/523_Ada

:D

The same astronomer also named other asteroids 'Iva', 'Evelyn', 'Marion', 'Mabella', 'Davida', 'Edith', 'Sara', all after people he knew, and 'Halawe' (an Arabic sweetmeat).

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=eHv ... 6&lpg=PA86
Potemkin wrote:Right on, Olly! Throw da bums out of their cushy offices and make 'em do some real work fer a change! >:

Yeah, bring on the tumbrils and let Madame la Guillotine deal with 'em.
NASA spends less than one half of one percent of American tax dollars. This is clearly an outrage, and my cent and a half a year should go to something more useful--like state funded healthcare for Congress; they are working very hard to make sure they have state funded healthcare while everyone else doesn't, and should be rewarded!
The Immortal Goon wrote:NASA spends less than one half of one percent of American tax dollars. This is clearly an outrage, and my cent and a half a year should go to something more useful--like state funded healthcare for Congress; they are working very hard to make sure they have state funded healthcare while everyone else doesn't, and should be rewarded!

I daresay that if NASA were abolished then your wishes could all be fulfilled and some? This space drivel must be costing y'all countless £squillions just to find out about a planet on which no human being could survive for more than a couple of minutes. I mean how bloody ridiculous is that!

@Godstud " blowjobs" You are like […]

Eugenics as a concept is quite interesting since […]

@Rich more veterans lose their lives in peace ti[…]

@FiveofSwords You still haven't told us how yo[…]