Humans are causing climate to change '170 times faster than natural forces' - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Human activity is changing Earth's climate 170 times faster than natural forces, according to scientists who claim they have devised an equation that shows people are behind global warming.

climate-change-power-station.jpg
climate-change-power-station.jpg (36.94 KiB) Viewed 5435 times

According to researchers, global temperatures decreased by 0.01C per century over the last 7,000 years—the "baseline" rate. But in the last 45 years it has increased by the equivalent of 1.7C per century, and the 12 warmest years on record have come since 1998, they said.

While "astronomical and geophysical" as well as biospheric forces have driven change in the "Earth system" over its four billion-year existence, human activity has "driven exceptionally rapid rates of change" that the authors of a new study have represented in an "Anthropocene equation".

Anthropocene is the name given to a proposed new geological era in which the impact of human activity starts having a measurable impact on the environment.

Writing in New Scientist, the study's co-author Owen Gaffney said: "The rate of carbon emissions to the atmosphere is arguably the highest in 66 million years, when the (non-avian) dinosaurs slipped off this mortal coil.

"The staggering loss of biodiversity in recent decades prompted researchers in 2015 to argue that the Anthropocene marks the third stage in the evolution of Earth’s biosphere, following on from the microbial stage 3.5 billion years ago and the Cambrian explosion 650 million years ago.

"In the equation, astronomical and geophysical forces tend to zero because of their slow nature or rarity, as do internal dynamics, for now. All these forces still exert pressure, but currently on orders of magnitude less than human impact."

The risks of human impact on the biosphere includes polluted water and soils as well as a warmer climate, Mr Gaffney said.

He added: "While it would seem imprudent to ignore the huge body of evidence pointing to profound risks, it comes at a challenging time geopolitically, when both fact-based world views and even international cooperation are questioned. Nowhere has this been clearer than in the US in recent weeks."

Independent
Climate change whistleblower alleges NOAA manipulated data to hide ...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/.../clim ... -manipula/
7 days ago - Former federal climatologist John Bates blasts 2015 NOAA study as other scientists defend its conclusions. ... The climate change debate went nuclear Sunday over a whistleblower’s explosive allegation that the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association manipulated data to advance ...

Unfortunately, not even climate change is beyond political manipulations. You would think this should be one thing we kept politics out of. :(
Last edited by One Degree on 12 Feb 2017 19:37, edited 1 time in total.
mikema63 wrote:Your link is dead.

Sorry, I did not really expect anyone to use it and just copied a result from a Google search. I remembered the story and just wanted to mention it.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/.../clim ... -manipula/
If it does not work now, I will go back and find the right link.

Edit: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... -manipula/

@mikema63 This should work.
Last edited by One Degree on 12 Feb 2017 19:44, edited 1 time in total.
One Degree wrote:Unfortunately, not even climate change is beyond political manipulations. You would think this should be one thing we kept politics out of. :(

This thread has Kaiserscharrn written all over it.

A bit naive aren't you One Degree. There is money to be made from oil. Your fellow US counterparts are also oil junkies who buy cars with the biggest litre engine they can hold of. And you think politicians aren't going to manipulate facts when it benefits their pockets and votes. No chance.
It still doesn't but I did a little searching and came up with this.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/02/how-culture-clash-noaa-led-flap-over-high-profile-warming-pause-study

Aparently the whistleblower in question isn't alleging outright misconduct but is involved in a more complex dispute about which new data sets should and should not be used and whether or not the study was rushed.

The argument over which data set should be used is a little more arcane but I wouldn't be totally shocked if the study was pushed out very fast. Almost all studies are pushed out fast since the number of studies you can produce in a given time period is a major benchmark for most scientific groups.

In fact part of this whistleblowers allegations center around the study not being all that new science wise and just being a regurgitation of previously published data. He doesn't seem to even directly challenge the conclusions from what I can tell.
Sorry, I tested it and the link worked for me. :?:
I will admit to skipping over the article you mentioned in my search simply because the title sounded biased. I selected the second one because the title sounded less biased. :hmm:
I don't understand why "seemingly" well educated people still believe this left-wing propaganda started by Al Gore with his "global warming" scare in order to enrich himself. Whistle blower scientists in this global warming and climate change fraud have indicated that the figures are manipulated to support a certain conclusion so they can continue to obtain research funds from the government. In simple terms, it's bunk.
Hindsite wrote:I don't understand why "seemingly" well educated people still believe this left-wing propaganda started by Al Gore with his "global warming" scare in order to enrich himself. Whistle blower scientists in this global warming and climate change fraud have indicated that the figures are manipulated to support a certain conclusion so they can continue to obtain research funds from the government. In simple terms, it's bunk.

Because your side has absolutely no evidence to support any of your claims?
AFAIK said:
"That which is asserted without evidence, shall be dismissed without evidence."

I agree, that is why i call it "bunk" which is short for a fraud. There is no factual evidence for "global warming" because it is based on figures pulled out of someone's end. Climate change is simply the four seasons of a year. It was put in force by God in the beginning. It will continue until God brings it to an end.
I hope Americans will wake up and vote against our tax money going for this "global warming" climate change fraud.
Like I said, baseless assertions, such as Hindsite's, should be dismissed out of hand. It appears he has now moved on to confusing climate science that makes predictions about the future with climate science that measures occurrences in the past and present. Clearly the world is hotter today than it was 100 years ago.
Hindsite wrote:I don't understand why "seemingly" well educated people still believe this left-wing propaganda started by Al Gore with his "global warming" scare in order to enrich himself.

Global warming was a hot topic in Europe long before Al Gore's movie. In fact by then the political debate was already over. Americans deny man-made global warming because they're a) the dumbest people in the industrialized world and b) addicted to oil.
And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
(Genesis 1:14 KJV)

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.
(Genesis 8:22 KJV)

http://www.weatherquestions.com/What_ca ... easons.htm

Some examples: https://twitter.com/OnlinePalEng/s[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I do not have your life Godstud. I am never going[…]

He's a parasite

Trump Derangement Syndrome lives. :O