Humans are causing climate to change '170 times faster than natural forces' - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I hope we recreate Venusian conditions. It would force us off this rock. Any species that resigns itself to a single planet, that resigns itself to caretaker instead of conqueror-might as well already be resigned to a speedy extinction.

The sooner we come to terms with the fact that the Earth is nothing special apart from being our origin point; that it is indeed expendable, the better. The first off-world colonies are only a few decades away. We have plenty of time to diversify our habitats. We should mine this rock for all it's worth, until it is a hollow shell. Then move on to exploiting others. Our primary function is to convert accessible energy reserves into consciousness. The solar system can support trillions of individuals with ease. The bigger this mammalian infestation gets, the faster the pace of research, the sooner we arrive to the next big epoch-artificial consciousness.

Time to start diversifying life. We could even engineer organisms or machines that could live on Venus. Hell, we could even learn how to terraform other worlds. We're doing it now to this one. Stop being such short-term oriented pussies.
Milking the earth for all it's abundance makes it much easier, yes. Hive cities can be built if the atmosphere becomes unbreathable. Meh.

It's a race against time, specifically the next big meteor strike or supervolcano eruption. Hell by orienting ourselves out instead of inward, we also gain the benefit of being able to detect and deflect space rocks more readily.
Hundreds of thousands of Europeans kill themselves with cigarettes every year, by choice...air pollution be damned. Chinese smokers are even worse.

No, the chief problem is not really a problem. Global population is still rising, impacting more natural habitats negatively. True conservationists should hope that even more die from toxic air.
There is no need to worry. The lord will take care of it all. Here are quotes from the Holy Bible:

The Lord is not slow to fulfill His promise as some understand slowness, but is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar, the elements will be dissolved in the fire, and the earth and its works will not be found. Since everything will be dissolved in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to conduct yourselves in holiness and godliness as you anticipate and hasten the coming of the day of God, when the heavens will be dissolved by fire and the elements will melt in the heat. But in keeping with God’s promise, we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells.

(2 Peter 3:9-13)

"For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; And the former things will not be remembered or come to mind. But be glad and rejoice forever in what I create; For behold, I create Jerusalem for rejoicing And her people for gladness."

(Isaiah 65:17-18)

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying: “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man, and He will live with them. They will be His people, and God Himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the former things have passed away.” And the One seated on the throne said, “Behold, I make all things new.” Then He said, “Write this down, for these words are faithful and true.” And He told me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give freely from the spring of the water of life. The one who is victorious will inherit all things, and I will be his God, and he will be My son. But to the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and sexually immoral and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their place will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur. This is the second death.”

(Revelation 21:1-8)

HalleluYah. Praise the Lord.
When you think about it, it is the fault of prehistoric forests that we are pumping CO2 into the atmosphere anyway. For millions of years those ancient fallen trees compressed themselves from sheer mass and turned into coal because there was no plant eating bacteria to digest them. Fuck terrestrial trees. Most of our atmospheric Oxygen is derived from sea based plant life/moss anyway. Cut them all down!
Last edited by Igor Antunov on 13 Feb 2017 02:28, edited 1 time in total.
Everybody gets paid by somebody - unless we believe climate scientists should work for free. Scientists who study climate are generally physicists with specialties in atmospheric studies. They are usually found in academia and government (well, maybe not so much government anymore). Whatever money they make (and it's not very much), they could make a whole lot more if they were working for, say, The Heartland Institute.

Be that as it may, AGW is only one component (and not even the most dangerous) of an intersecting complex of ecological disasters the human race is causing.

Not sunspots. Not gamma rays. Not orbital variations. Us.
Hindsite wrote:Pants-of-dog request:
"Please present evidence that global warming is a hoax. Thank you."

http://www.globalclimatescam.com/opinio ... is-a-hoax/

http://www.newsmax.com/MKTNews/global-w ... id/601458/

http://wnho.net/global_warming.htm

Please quote the relevant text that supports your claims.

Also, you do realise that the first one is an editorial, right?
Yes, the first article is a news opinon based on the facts presented on Global warming.

Leaked emails from global warming scientists state that the Earth is not warming, such as this one from Kevin Trenberth that states, “The fact is that we can’t account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty we can’t.”

Claude Allegre, the founding father of the man-made global warming ethos, recently renounced his position that man has caused warming.

Proof is emerging that Al Gore and even President Obama have financially benefited from fueling the global warming hysteria.
https://w3.newsmax.com/LP/Finance/RWL/R ... e=zhs3nmqq

THE BIG CHILL: RECORD-LOW TEMPERATURES PLUNGE AMERICA INTO DEEP FREEZE WITH 16 DEGREE AVERAGES

10 YEARS AGO TODAY: AL GORE PREDICTED GLOBAL WARMING ARMAGEDDON IN 10 YEARS
http://www.nowtheendbegins.com/big-chil ... e-averages

Perhaps it’s because most of the calamities predicted in the first movie didn’t happen, hurricanes didn’t increase in frequency and strength, polar ice caps didn’t melt, NY and other coastal cities aren’t underwater, Mt. Kilimanjaro still is snow-capped, tornadoes aren’t increasing in frequency and strength, the arctic isn’t melting, the Antarctic ice extent is growing, oh and the polar bear population is doing very well thank you. So former VP Al Gore wants to try another movie.

How Ice Sheet Grew 920,000 Square Miles In A Year Aug 2912 - Aug 2013.

Methane and other gases transparent to infrared, IR, radiation, absorbing very little and certainly not heating the atmosphere, are now favorite targets of “climate change” panic pushers. They have stopped wailing over cow farts they are now irate about methane in the Arctic Circle not realizing there is no way they can blame man as all the methane there was generated millions of years ago when the poles were warm rain forests.
http://ipatriot.com/great-climate-chang ... continues/
Hindsite wrote:Yes, the first article is a news opinon based on the facts presented on Global warming.

.....and opinion pieces are not good evidence. So I will be ignoring that link.

Leaked emails from global warming scientists state that the Earth is not warming, such as this one from Kevin Trenberth that states, “The fact is that we can’t account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty we can’t.”

This looks like it was taken out of context. I will need to see the full text of the email before I can consider it evidence to support your position.

Claude Allegre, the founding father of the man-made global warming ethos, recently renounced his position that man has caused warming.

I doubt it.

Proof is emerging that Al Gore and even President Obama have financially benefited from fueling the global warming hysteria.
https://w3.newsmax.com/LP/Finance/RWL/R ... e=zhs3nmqq

Please quote the relevant text.

THE BIG CHILL: RECORD-LOW TEMPERATURES PLUNGE AMERICA INTO DEEP FREEZE WITH 16 DEGREE AVERAGES

10 YEARS AGO TODAY: AL GORE PREDICTED GLOBAL WARMING ARMAGEDDON IN 10 YEARS
http://www.nowtheendbegins.com/big-chil ... e-averages

What is this crap? Is this supposed to be evidence?

Perhaps it’s because most of the calamities predicted in the first movie didn’t happen, hurricanes didn’t increase in frequency and strength, polar ice caps didn’t melt, NY and other coastal cities aren’t underwater, Mt. Kilimanjaro still is snow-capped, tornadoes aren’t increasing in frequency and strength, the arctic isn’t melting, the Antarctic ice extent is growing, oh and the polar bear population is doing very well thank you. So former VP Al Gore wants to try another movie.

This looks like something you cut and pasted from someone else.

How Ice Sheet Grew 920,000 Square Miles In A Year Aug 2912 - Aug 2013.

Methane and other gases transparent to infrared, IR, radiation, absorbing very little and certainly not heating the atmosphere, are now favorite targets of “climate change” panic pushers. They have stopped wailing over cow farts they are now irate about methane in the Arctic Circle not realizing there is no way they can blame man as all the methane there was generated millions of years ago when the poles were warm rain forests.
http://ipatriot.com/great-climate-chang ... continues/

And that is an obviously biased source.

I think it is fair to say that you have no evidence.
Hindsite wrote:Be that as it may.
I believe it is fair to say Pants-of-dog has no evidence for global warming.
However, we all have opinions.

The evidence for rapid climate change is compelling:

Sea level rise
    Global sea level rose about 17 centimeters (6.7 inches) in the last century. The rate in the last decade, however, is nearly double that of the last century

Global temperature rise
    All three major global surface temperature reconstructions show that Earth has warmed since 1880. Most of the warming occurred in the past 35 years, with 15 of the 16 warmest years on record occurring since 2001. The year 2015 was the first time the global average temperatures were 1 degree Celsius or more above the 1880-1899 average.6 Even though the 2000s witnessed a solar output decline resulting in an unusually deep solar minimum in 2007-2009, surface temperatures continue to increase.

Warming oceans
    The oceans have absorbed much of this increased heat, with the top 700 meters (about 2,300 feet) of ocean showing warming of 0.302 degrees Fahrenheit since 1969
    The oceans have absorbed much of this increased heat, with the top 700 meters (about 2,300 feet) of ocean showing warming of 0.302 degrees Fahrenheit since 1969.

Shrinking ice sheets
    The Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets have decreased in mass. Data from NASA's Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment show Greenland lost 150 to 250 cubic kilometers (36 to 60 cubic miles) of ice per year between 2002 and 2006, while Antarctica lost about 152 cubic kilometers (36 cubic miles) of ice between 2002 and 2005.

Declining Arctic sea ice
    Both the extent and thickness of Arctic sea ice has declined rapidly over the last several decades
    Both the extent and thickness of Arctic sea ice has declined rapidly over the last several decades.

Glacial retreat
    Glaciers are retreating almost everywhere around the world — including in the Alps, Himalayas, Andes, Rockies, Alaska and Africa.
    Glaciers are retreating almost everywhere around the world — including in the Alps, Himalayas, Andes, Rockies, Alaska and Africa.

Extreme events
    The number of record high temperature events in the United States has been increasing, while the number of record low temperature events has been decreasing, since 1950. The U.S. has also witnessed increasing numbers of intense rainfall events.

Ocean acidification
    Since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, the acidity of surface ocean waters has increased by about 30 percent
    Since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, the acidity of surface ocean waters has increased by about 30 percent.12,13 This increase is the result of humans emitting more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere and hence more being absorbed into the oceans. The amount of carbon dioxide absorbed by the upper layer of the oceans is increasing by about 2 billion tons per year.14,15

Decreased snow cover
    Satellite observations reveal that the amount of spring snow cover in the Northern Hemisphere has decreased over the past five decades and that the snow is melting earlier
    Satellite observations reveal that the amount of spring snow cover in the Northern Hemisphere has decreased over the past five decades and that the snow is melting earlier.

http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

As I said, all the evidence is on our side.

@FiveofSwords , when do you plan to call for a r[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

There are intelligent and stupid ways to retain p[…]

This thread displays clearly how easily liberals a[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Friedrich Engels once said, “All that exists dese[…]