Trump budget aims to defund science - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Hindsite wrote:
What university is this that the tax payers has to pay for all this? Most colleges and universities require the students to pay for their own books and tuition and dorm room, even if it is given support from the state.

A publicly funded, state university?

My alma mater while a state university was only about 25% funded by the public, the rest was through tuition, parking fees, an outdoor pool that the public could use in the summer, and they had a "hotel". Most universities would love to have mostly public funding.
Stormsmith wrote:Con Ed ... had 50 studies by 50 independent pro researchers, at 50 top universities, mostly funded by Jon Q. Taxpayer, in less then 6 months.

Private companies use studies the same way they use polls. The commission 50 studies, and then they publish the ONE that most closely supports their business model.

It's the same with polls. When a poll is actually published, it's because this particular poll appears to confirm the correctness of the corporation publishing it. All other polls simply disappear into a media vacuum.

Letting profit-based entities have control of "fact" distribution means this kind of lying (through triage of studies and polls) is the rule in our society, which makes us all less informed.
Hindsight

Students do pay tuition, it varies province to province, but it used to be about 10% Don't know if that's still accurate. They do not pay for the library books.

Qatz.

We published the study. We were asked to because we were the only one that achieved a noteworthy result. The variables left open to the university were so wide, it was like guessing how many jellybeans were in the fridge.

I'm not arguing with you that companies don't try to manipulate, in some cases flat out lie, but in this case not so.

The scenario to worry about is the one were they use their own scientists in their own labs.
By defunding science is this where Trump plans on getting enough capital to throw at the American military industrial complex?
Joka wrote:By defunding science is this where Trump plans on getting enough capital to throw at the American military industrial complex?

Partly and also he is cutting a bunch of domestic programs and other legacy stuff from previous administrations like ones having to do with libraries. It reminds me of cheapskate landlords who cut corners by installing cheaply made installation that are not up to building code and removing the sprinkler system to save on water, but when a fire happens...the fire burns through the entire building without being extinguished.
MistyTiger wrote:Partly and also he is cutting a bunch of domestic programs and other legacy stuff from previous administrations like ones having to do with libraries. It reminds me of cheapskate landlords who cut corners by installing cheaply made installation that are not up to building code and removing the sprinkler system to save on water, but when a fire happens...the fire burns through the entire building without being extinguished.

Just collect the insurance money.
Hindsite wrote:

Just collect the insurance money.

The landlord could be arrested on criminal charges like negligent homicide if someone dies in a fire that could have been prevented.

If kids in these years are so stupid because a lot of the educational programs have been de-funded by Trump, then we blame Trump. He will be the Hoover of the 21st century, the one who the dam is named after, not the vacuum.
MistyTiger wrote:The landlord could be arrested on criminal charges like negligent homicide if someone dies in a fire that could have been prevented.

If kids in these years are so stupid because a lot of the educational programs have been de-funded by Trump, then we blame Trump. He will be the Hoover of the 21st century, the one who the dam is named after, not the vacuum.

Trump has an Education Secretary to take care of fixing the education problem.
Cutting out false science and replacing it with the truth would be a great start.
Hindsite wrote:
Trump has an Education Secretary to take care of fixing the education problem.
Cutting out false science and replacing it with the truth would be a great start.

She is just a preppy who knows nothing of the struggles facing children from the middle class to low income families. What can she do to help? Unless maybe she plans to pay nannies and prep school teachers to teach all the regular Americans how to be a preppy. :lol:

False science? Conservatives hate science because it brings up so many questions that make people keep looking for answers, especially where their precious Bible is concerned. I look forward to the day when someone humiliates her in public for saying something really stupid about science because she was too busy thinking about boys or money.
MistyTiger wrote:She is just a preppy who knows nothing of the struggles facing children from the middle class to low income families. What can she do to help? Unless maybe she plans to pay nannies and prep school teachers to teach all the regular Americans how to be a preppy. :lol:

False science? Conservatives hate science because it brings up so many questions that make people keep looking for answers, especially where their precious Bible is concerned. I look forward to the day when someone humiliates her in public for saying something really stupid about science because she was too busy thinking about boys or money.

I guess I am going to have to put you in the category of those liberals.
There is no use to try to reason with that category.
Hindsite wrote:
I guess I am going to have to put you in the category of those liberals.
There is no use to try to reason with that category.

Okay. Well there is no denying that she is a rich girl. Her father was a billionaire and she is the daughter-in-law of a billionaire. Her husband is heir to a fortune, Amway. She was educated in a private school and graduated with a BA from a private Christian college. Her brother founded Blackwater. All this makes her a preppy. She has always lived around lots of money. So what does she know about the struggles facing poor families and does she understand illiteracy? Highly doubtful.

Godstud wrote::eek: A person who dismisses science and reason talks about others as crazy? :lol:

Fuck that Christian god if you're what he makes.

Jesus licks donkey balls
Amen

:lol:

I would like this post if I could.
Judas was just a jealous ex boyfriend of Jesus, that's why he betrayed him. It was super uncool of Mathew to steal Jesus from him, to be fair, but just cause you want to ride his divine rod doesn't mean you can just do that to a bro.
Frankly, this is the one issue where I think the kids must come first.

That said, leave the money in the public school system. Tax the billionaires to support private schools.

If the private schools don't perform better within 2 years, revert.

And amen to keeping alternative science out of school. It belongs in Sunday School.
Up here, they're pretty good. The teachers demand more from the kids. I don't like privatisation for privatisation's, but with schools, there's a chance they're measurable, success wise.
My state is home to Phillip's Exeter Academy, which I never attended. We also have St. Paul's School. I have no idea about how good SPS is, but they have been in the headlines lately for a sex scandal. The poor girl, she was blamed and kicked out. So I would not support that school ever.

I went to a few private schools before and they felt more like home-schooling. I have been home-schooled as well, was boring. I think public schools should be funded more. They offer breakfast and lunch for poor students, though it is not free. I would like to see them do something about that.

There are conditions that must be met for Ukraine[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@JohnRawls There is no ethnic cleansing going o[…]

They are building a Russian Type nuclear reactor..[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Hamas are terrorist animals who started this and […]