The Uninhabitable Earth - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
SolarCross wrote:I don't care what you want.

Lol at you trying to leverage the scientific apocalypse to sermonise against sinners. End timers, kek.

Okay.

All you are doing is broadcasting your inability to read and understand my posts on a useful level.

For example, you mistakenly believe I am sermonising at you.

-----------------

No matter what happens, the majority of humans are going to have to change their lifestyle. Now, they can either do it willingly, and in control of thise changes, or have those changes forced upon them in a crisis.

The choice as to which path will be taken is up to us and how much we are willing to change to combat climate change.
One consequence of "global warming" mentioned in the article is a great bake off of the already hot parts of the world. Clearly the mad fools that inhabit those sultry climes will be looking to head for more temperate climes rather than suffer the fate nature has destined for them. They will be coming to northern (and also far southern) regions in far vaster numbers than they do already. Clearly the time has come for far stricter more muscular border controls.
SolarCross wrote:One consequence of "global warming" mentioned in the article is a great bake off of the already hot parts of the world. Clearly the mad fools that inhabit those sultry climes will be looking to head for more temperate climes rather than suffer the fate nature has destined for them. They will be coming to northern (and also far southern) regions in far vaster numbers than they do already. Clearly the time has come for far stricter more muscular border controls.

Or, we could actually deal with the root causes of international migration.

Instead of deliberately exacerbating the conditions that lead to immigration, and then shooting everyone who tries to immigrate.

But that would mean that we would have to change our lifestyles, instead of just shooting brown people.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Or, we could actually deal with the root causes of international migration.

Instead of deliberately exacerbating the conditions that lead to immigration, and then shooting everyone who tries to immigrate.

But that would mean that we would have to change our lifestyles, instead of just shooting brown people.

Well I see more solar panels in the UK than before and there are some electric cars too. It's not like nobody is doing anything, but it is a drop in the ocean, realistically nothing substantial is going to change. The Titanic has already sailed and has too much momentum to change course; if iceberg there be we will be hitting it regardless of what anyone does now. So we will have to manage migration also.

Billions are going to die, get used to it.
SolarCross wrote:According to that article it is already too late. Anyway the thing is the climate still changes even without our help; if we did everything possible to prevent "climate change" including going back to living like medieval monks, the climate will still change anyway because of something else beyond our technical power to change: shifting of solar radiation, asteroid impacts, volcanic outgassing, or whatever. Going by the current understanding of earth science we are about due another Ice Age... that'll wreck human civilisation just as hard as global warming would.

The universe is a vast and pitiless place, be grateful for your insignificant death when it comes. :)

By similar reasoning, what's the point of taking medicine? You're going to die of old age anyway.
SolarCross wrote:Well I see more solar panels in the UK than before and there are some electric cars too. It's not like nobody is doing anything, but it is a drop in the ocean, realistically nothing substantial is going to change. The Titanic has already sailed and has too much momentum to change course; if iceberg there be we will be hitting it regardless of what anyone does now. So we will have to manage migration also.

Billions are going to die, get used to it.

Again, you have failed to address my points.

----------------

If those brown skinned migrants really scare you that much, you should try actually dealing with climate change to lessen the impact as much as possible. Part of that would be applying pressure to the powers that be to change their current business model.

Also, take steps to reduce your own ecological footprint. Get rid of your car, buy clean energy. Insulate. Shop locally.
Saeko wrote:By similar reasoning, what's the point of taking medicine? You're going to die of old age anyway.

That depends on the medicine and the disease. I'd pass up having my fingers amputated to cure a ingrowing finger nail.

-------

Pants-of-dog wrote:If those brown skinned migrants really scare you that much, you should try actually dealing with climate change to lessen the impact as much as possible. Part of that would be applying pressure to the powers that be to change their current business model.

Also, take steps to reduce your own ecological footprint. Get rid of your car, buy clean energy. Insulate. Shop locally.

I'm fine with switching over to green energy and nuclear power. We in the west are doing more than most, but whatever we do will have virtually no impact, particularly with the likes of China on the earthly block. In the end even under the best case scenario we are still looking at being flooded with hungry mouths to feed. You have to look after your own first.

Population die back is a feature of nature as much as individual death. When resources are rich people multiply, when they are poor they die off, just like other animals. Look again at the population growth chart.. that's an extreme hockey stick growth in numbers boosted by fossil fuels. Chances are even without "climate change" that dramatic uptick is going to become an equally dramatic crash back some time in the next century. If so that could be of the order of 7 billion people dying...
SolarCross wrote:I'm fine with switching over to green energy and nuclear power. We in the west are doing more than most, but whatever we do will have virtually no impact, particularly with the likes of China on the earthly block. In the end even under the best case scenario we are still looking at being flooded with hungry mouths to feed. You have to look after your own first.

Please provide evidence for the claim that even if the entire developed world did its best to mitigate climate change, the west would still be flooded with hungry mouths. Thanks.

Also, please note that it is western nations who are responsible for the majority of greenhouse gases over the time period since the beginning of the industrial revolution. If we did not want the consequences associated with such high levels of pollution, maybe we should not have polluted so much.

But hey, externalities are one of the fun parts of capitalism!

Population die back is a feature of nature as much as individual death. When resources are rich people multiply, when they are poor they die off, just like other animals. Look again at the population growth chart.. that's an extreme hockey stick growth in numbers boosted by fossil fuels. Chances are even without "climate change" that dramatic uptick is going to become an equally dramatic crash back some time in the next century. If so that could be of the order of 7 billion people dying...

Sure. This has nothing to do with what I was discussing.

Just more of your "killing brown people is always the solution" mentality.
SolarCross wrote:I'm fine with switching over to green energy and nuclear power. We in the west are doing more than most, but whatever we do will have virtually no impact, particularly with the likes of China on the earthly block. In the end even under the best case scenario we are still looking at being flooded with hungry mouths to feed. You have to look after your own first.

Well, thank you for that dystopian view of humanity.

Can i point out that China and India have gone to great lengths under extraordinary circumstances, trying to lift hundreds of millions of people out of mind-blowing poverty (poverty that would make Trumpland seem like Monaco), to have a less devastating effect on the enviroment while Trump is seemingly taking a huuuuuuge dump in the f-king wind?
MadMonk wrote:Well, thank you for that dystopian view of humanity.

Can i point out that China and India have gone to great lengths under extraordinary circumstances, trying to lift hundreds of millions of people out of mind-blowing poverty (poverty that would make Trumpland seem like Monaco), to have a less devastating effect on the enviroment while Trump is seemingly taking a huuuuuuge dump in the f-king wind?

What could be more of a dystopian view of humanity than the climate change belief system? Humanity's finest achievements, our greatest works of intellect, will be the inevitable cause of our catastrophic downfall and the whole planet with it. It's a pretty bleak vision, poles apart from the rugged optimism of Victorian Britain.

India and China are trying to do what the rest of us already did and for the same reasons we did it, to get rich and to progress (real progress not lefty "progress" which would better called tardgress). There is no way we can call what we did a sin that will end the world without acknowledging that they are also sinning and will also end the world.
SolarCross wrote:What could be more of a dystopian view of humanity than the climate change belief system? Humanity's finest achievements, our greatest works of intellect, will be the inevitable cause of our catastrophic downfall and the whole planet with it. It's a pretty bleak vision, poles apart from the rugged optimism of Victorian Britain.

Anthropogenic climate change is not a belief system. It is a scientific fact.

You do realise that beliefs and facts are two different things, right?

India and China are trying to do what the rest of us already did and for the same reasons we did it, to get rich and to progress (real progress not lefty "progress" which would better called tardgress). There is no way we can call what we did a sin that will end the world without acknowledging that they are also sinning and will also end the world.

If China and India can elevate the standard of living of its citizens to western levels without causing the same pollution that the west created, then why should we pretend they are equally responsible?
skinster wrote:I saw this article making the rounds yesterday. We are indeed fucked. One of many reasons why I chose not to procreate.

This is honestly the same for me. I love kids but I think it would be cruel to have one.

At least I get to enjoy my time on Earth without having to deal with the brunt of climate change. And who knows? Maybe we will discover some type of under-ocean habitat to deal with climate change.
One Degree wrote:Yet, some of you I am sure, deny over population. :?:
It is the root cause. Capitalism encourages it, but anti-capitalists often deny it is a problem.

I thought the anti-abortion people were the ones who deny over population? :?:

With stricter birth control, over population could be better controlled.

Edit: Some Conservatives are climate change deniers yet they are against immigration. Reducing immigration and therefore the populations of industrialized countries should be our first line of battle against climate change.
Some Liberals encourage immigration which is in direct opposition to helping the environment. Reducing immigration also hurts capitalism and again the political forces seem to be on the wrong sides. :?:

The US would probably fail horribly without immigration. A lot of bright scientific minds including doctors are immigrants. My eye doctor is an immigrant and he is the best eye doctor that I have ever had. He is very thorough and he got my prescription correct, wasn't too heavy like the times when I got my eye exams done by non-immigrant doctors.
The US would probably fail horribly without immigration.

@MistyTiger
This comment should be considered very offensive to any country's citizens. Why do you think people not born in the US are superior to people born in the US? Is this a racist argument?
Sorry, not meant to jump on you personally but I have seen this argument too often as an argument for immigration. Anyone using it should have it pointed out to them how offensive they are being.
One Degree wrote:@MistyTiger
This comment should be considered very offensive to any country's citizens. Why do you think people not born in the US are superior to people born in the US? Is this a racist argument?
Sorry, not meant to jump on you personally but I have seen this argument too often as an argument for immigration. Anyone using it should have it pointed out to them how offensive they are being.

People born in the US tend to have no idea whatsoever about the hard sciences, they don't believe in evolution, they believe in the literal reality of Noah's flood and other biblical myths due to the power of Protestantism over there. The domination the US currently holds in science would evaporate overnight if it stopped poaching educated people form around the world and had to to rely on its own minimal pool of talent.

Also it is not a racist argument, people form the US are not one race, it is one of the most varied nations on earth racially.
@Decky Well put, Decky. I hadn't thought of that but you are right. The US is not just one race but rather a country of many races. The majority of Americans in the US only have a high school diploma or just a GED so many will choose to believe in a biblical flood or the theories of creation. Their brains cannot fathom climate change, global warming or life on other planets. I heard years ago that the average reading comprehension of an American (someone born in the US) was up to 6th grade. I remember feeling appalled. But people like Trump are a good example of this poor reading comprehension.

One Degree wrote:
@MistyTiger

Look, it is a fact because look at how many of the college students in the US study history or English and how many actually study the STEM subjects. How many? A disproportionate amount study the arts rather than taking on the hard sciences. Even Accounting is a science and I realize now that most of the money is in the sciences.

Take a look at how many foreign students come over to study science. And how many of those become leading researchers or esteemed doctors or consultants?

I get it, it's offensive. But I will just say it, the younger generation in the US is afraid of math and science. The current society encourages children to study the arts. But there are so many jobs around that require people with critical minds that can be found primarily in the science and mathematical fields. I was looking for Accounting jobs for months and many results were for Accounting or sales jobs that required people with a business or accounting background. But so many people in the US are afraid of accounting because it involves math. OMG! If I had a penny for how many kids told me that they suck at math, I would have thousands if not millions of pennies in my home and in my bank.
Last edited by MistyTiger on 12 Jul 2017 02:45, edited 1 time in total.
People born in the US tend to have no idea whatsoever about the hard sciences, they don't believe in evolution, they believe in the literal reality of Noah's flood and other biblical myths due to the power of Protestantism over there.

@Decky :lol: :lol: :lol: Yes, we have 320 million uneducated rubes here.
I believe 50% of adults now have a college degree, but oh well.
By Decky
@Decky :lol: :lol: :lol: Yes, we have 320 million uneducated rubes here.

Do you really think degrees from American institutions are equal to degrees from a university in the developed world?

Interestingly in the UK college refers to the place you go between 16-18 that is essentially your last 2 years of basic schooling before university. It is totally appropriate the American universities refer to themselves as colleges in my opinion as they seem to operate around that level. :lol:
One Degree wrote:@Decky :lol: :lol: :lol: Yes, we have 320 million uneducated rubes here.

Every country has their fair share of bastards, troglodytes, ogres, barbarians and some sort of half-decent people.

You're just better at broadcasting yours. :)

According to two Dutchmen , the Jews did not inv[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Tsarism was the greater protector of the Christia[…]

I find it bizarre that people like @Unthinking M[…]

World War II Day by Day

May 15, Wednesday Britons flock to the local def[…]