Self-Control in Chimpanzees Relates to General Intelligence - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Dubayoo wrote:Some days, I get sick and tired of dealing with people who believe in opposing equality because they say you're stupid for not accepting how social status is fated.

Then, there are days when I find studies like this that make my day.

This study doesn't refute social hierarchies, though. :?:
I was arguing before with people who said it's rational to be a sadistic predator. Delayed gratification here means holding back instead of exploiting others for all they're worth in the moment. For example, you give others the opportunity to develop before seeking to get something out of them.

More intelligent people would at last exploit them later on after they developed somewhat, but the most intelligent people would never exploit others, constantly giving them the opportunity to develop while freely exchanging with them into the future. Not only does that let others fully actualize their potential, but it gives you the best possible partner to cooperate with so you actualize your potential together.

It's kind of like how the prisoner's dilemma gets played in phases. If you defect against a partner, the partner learns from experience not to trust you, so your partner doesn't cooperate in the future. As long as you cooperate though, you can continue to cooperate together.

The real problem seems to be that some people just don't care about future phases in the prisoner's dilemma. They just want to enjoy themselves right now while expecting those they defect against to cooperate nonetheless while trying to intimidate them sarcastically for not being selfish.
Last edited by Dubayoo on 14 Feb 2018 03:58, edited 1 time in total.
The people I was talking with are fellow union members. We were talking about the distribution of work on a jobsite among members in the union. People compete for social status in the union, especially between seniors and juniors as well as family members and friends of family. Those with the most status get the easiest and most rewarding jobs to do.

The point I made was the union should elect foremen to decide who has the most potential to do the most productive work instead of electing foremen based on members' self-interest.
Dubayoo wrote:More intelligent people would at last exploit them later on after they developed somewhat, but the most intelligent people would never exploit others, constantly giving them the opportunity to develop while freely exchanging with them into the future. Not only does that let others fully actualize their potential, but it gives you the best possible partner to cooperate with so you actualize your potential together.

If we let the other guy prosper, how do we know that he isn't going to dominate us in the future? That's why the empire has to keep on growing to destroy its opponents. That's why companies try to achieve a monopoly in their field of business. Both, empires and monopolies, use delayed gratification to achieve a future state in which their power can't be challenged, even if such a state is unattainable.

There is a difference between a calculating intelligence that strives to outdo the opponent and the wisdom that is able to take the interest of the whole into account. In a way, the former needs to be overcome before the latter can prevail.

The only people creating an unsafe situation on c[…]

how 'the mismeasure of man' was totally refuted.[…]

I saw this long opinion article from The Telegraph[…]

It very much is, since it's why there's a war in t[…]