With Electric Cars, Wherefore the Gas Station? - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Rancid wrote:Not exactly, it's better to concentrate pollution around power plants, than spread them around cities through car exhausts.

Also, renewable energies are slowly gaining share of the energy production market, so as time moves on, it should be less polluting to run EVs

You are correct. It is definitely better for the immediate effects on individuals even though probably not for the planet.
One Degree wrote:If your electric production is dependent upon fossil fuels, then electric vehicles are worse than gas driven. Conversion always is inefficient.

Gasoline engine energy conversion is worse. Electric drive conversion efficiency can be 95% or better. Gasoline rarely better than upper thirties.
Besoeker wrote:Gasoline engine energy conversion is worse. Electric drive conversion efficiency can be 95% or better. Gasoline rarely better than upper thirties.

I don’t follow this. Burning fossil fuels to create electric energy to run cars must be more inefficient than cars directly burning fossil fuels based upon current science.
One Degree wrote:I don’t follow this. Burning fossil fuels to create electric energy to run cars must be more inefficient than cars directly burning fossil fuels based upon current science.

Nope.

I invite you to do a little quick research on freight trains. The power generator is a diesel engine, but it's used to generate electricity which is then used to drive electric motors. In this sense freight trains are electric.

With respect to power generation at a power plant, my totally uneducated guess is this:

Water has a high specific heat, which means it retains heat very well. Better than air. Using fossil fuels to heat water holds the energy for a longer period of time, and thus it dissipates more slowly.

Just a guess.
Rancid wrote:Nope.

I invite you to do a little quick research on freight trains. The power generator is a diesel engine, but it's used to generate electricity which is then used to drive electric motors. In this sense freight trains are electric.

Excellent example of energy conversion efficiency.
@Besoeker @Rancid
You both seem more knowledgeable but a quick search shows coal plants at 34.12%. (I don’t know if that is with or without scrubbers) Then you would have to deduct (5% ?)for the electric car use. So 29%
Gas powered cars are 25% to 50%.
Looks like this may be something even the experts would argue over. Depends upon the car model which comes out better.
Last edited by One Degree on 08 May 2018 22:47, edited 1 time in total.
One Degree wrote:@Besoeker @Rancid
You both seem more knowledgeable but a quick search shows coal plants at 34.12%. (I don’t know if that is with or without scrubbers) Then you would have to deduct (5% ?)for the electric car use. So 29%
Gas powered cares are 25% to 50%.
Looks like this may be something even the experts would argue over. Depends upon the car model which comes out better.

All that is probably true, but you're missing all the other areas where electricity is superior.

Batteries are generally safer than say gasoline cans. Let me ask you this. Do you feel safer with a bunch of batteries in your house, or a bunch of gas cans full of gas in your house?

Electricity is a great way to store and transfer energy. Much easier than gasoline. We can also generate it from numerous different types of resources (Gas, solar, wind, hygro, etc. etc. etc.).

We already have massive infrastructure for generating and moving electrical energy. It doesn't require trucking the stuff to a bunch of stations either.
Rancid wrote:All that is probably true, but you're missing all the other areas where electricity is superior.

Batteries are generally safer than say gasoline cans. Let me ask you this. Do you feel safer with a bunch of batteries in your house, or a bunch of gas cans full of gas in your house?

Electricity is a great way to store and transfer energy. Much easier than gasoline. We can also generate it from numerous different types of resources (Gas, solar, wind, hygro, etc. etc. etc.).

We already have massive infrastructure for generating and moving electrical energy. It doesn't require trucking the stuff to a bunch of stations either.

I agree it is probably a good path to pursue.
One Degree wrote:@Besoeker @Rancid
Gas powered cars are 25% to 50%.

A point you have missed or overlooked is that gasoline engines rarely run at best conversion efficiency. Speeds vary down to idling in traffic where you use fuel going nowhere.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

We're getting some shocking claims coming through.[…]

Most of us non- white men have found a different […]

we ought to have maintained a bit more 'racial hy[…]

@Unthinking Majority Canada goes beyond just t[…]