Hydrogen - the Fuel of the Future? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Elon musk claims they are safer.

Not having a large engine up front does allow more crumple zones, as does the generally less cramped interior.

The bigger problem is the inherent weaknesses in lithium batteries that @Atlantis mentioned. They are expensive, heavy and resource intensive to produce.

Pretty much everything else about electric cars is better though. Cheaper and more reliable, sustainable.

My guess is that new battery technology will come quicker than effective hydrogen production. You could even retrofit new batteries to existing cars though obviously no one will.
Batteries vs Hydrogen. This reminds me of VHS vs Betamax.

Forget safety, I doubt battery power could ever be more efficient or cheaper than a compustable fuel source like hydrogen for a motor vehicle. Not to mention the time it takes to charge up a the vechicle too. Sure technology improves. But nonetheless, my money is on Hydrogen.
I think people should travel on trains or buses anyway. I am suspicious of any mode of transport that lets people move around the country without unions having the ability to stop them via striking. Cars are ideologically impure.
Besoeker wrote:Care to cite comparative figures for vehicle fires?

:lol: Do people ever think before asking this type of question?

The alleged risk of hydrogen cars is not based on comparative figures since there are no hydrogen cars. Thus, questioning the risk cannot be based on "comparative figures" either.

layman wrote:The bigger problem is the inherent weaknesses in lithium batteries that @Atlantis mentioned. They are expensive, heavy and resource intensive to produce.

There are more than 1 billion cars in the world at present. Producing and disposing of 1 or 2 billion very powerful lithium batteries every 10 years, or so, is an ecological nightmare.

There will be technological advances in batteries, but there will also be technological advances in hydrogen technologies. It would be a mistake to put all our eggs into one basket. At the beginning, one never knows which technology will win in the end.

For the rail, hydrogen is already viable today. Since the rail will always be more ecological (and economic) than the road, we have every interest in moving as much traffic as possible to the rail.

And I'm sure @layman will particularly appreciate the fact that rail-networks connecting the economies of the Eurasian continent are our best bet of neutering the maritime Anglo-Empire. ;)

Edit: A lifespan of 10 years is probably too optimistic for lithium car batteries. Present owners of electric cars seem to notice a decline in performance after 4 to 5 years. And as we know from other devices, manufacturers claims regarding battery performance and lifespan are usually not reliable.
Atlantis wrote::lol: Do people ever think before asking this type of question?

The alleged risk of hydrogen cars is not based on comparative figures since there are no hydrogen cars. Thus, questioning the risk cannot be based on "comparative figures" either.

Obviously you didn't think.
This is what you posted:
"Nobody is suggesting that. We are talking about the fallacy of the alleged superior safety of electric cars."
That's the assertion you made and I asked you to support.
I don’t reallly get hydrogen trains over electric ones as they don’t require batteries and hydrogen requires more energy to produce than you get back.

I suppose building the tracks may be cheaper as you don’t need overhead power lines.

@Atlantis the empire is always a factor. It’s the last thing you think about going to bed and the first thing when you awake. It is even in your dreams.

I dont know if you recall, but la loca MTG at one[…]

How about Russia uses a battle field nuclear we[…]

@Tainari88 , @Godstud @Rich , @Verv , @Po[…]

World War II Day by Day

March 29, Friday Mackenzie King wins Canadian el[…]