Hydrogen - the Fuel of the Future? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
It most definitely is the fuel of the future, but it's still a fuel of the future. We're not there, yet.
I agree. There are a lot of unsolved problems with regards to the e-mobility. I think hydrogen will become a viable energy source, first for the rail and then for the road. The rail will always be more economical and ecological than the road.
Ah humans. Demand new power sources so we can keep trying to find happiness somewhere else instead of being satisfied where we are. How about we quit traveling so much? How about we make our own community all we need?
@One Degree, how about you go back to your fucking cave, man.

Why are people so against change? Humans are always exploring and advancing. That's what makes us human. We wouldn't have what we have now if we weren't constantly challenging ourselves, and reaching for new heights. Fuck that "be happy where you are" stupid ass bullshit! That's what primitive morons think. :knife: :knife: :knife:
Godstud wrote:It most definitely is the fuel of the future, but it's still a fuel of the future. We're not there, yet.

I can see the merits of its use. It is a ubiquitous first element on that table. But how do we extract from its compounds and at what cost for the energy to do so?
This is greenwash. Just like when the coal companies promoted solar as an alternative to nuclear in the 70s. Shell just wants you to keep buying their oil for another 50 years and then maybe see if hydrogen is viable.
AFAIK wrote:This is greenwash. Just like when the coal companies promoted solar as an alternative to nuclear in the 70s. Shell just wants you to keep buying their oil for another 50 years and then maybe see if hydrogen is viable.

I agree with this. Look at the company who have invested in this technology. I think everyone can see Hydrogen is the fuel of the future. And we have it in spades within water. If we ran out of oil tomorrow you can be sure the technology would be available next week. I remember reading about water engines two decades ago and how we could already create such a thing if cost wasn't an issue. Are you telling me the technology isn't there yet? Well it isn't because Shell aren't stupid. They want to sell oil. Oil is profitable. More profitable than something that anyone can get hold of from their tap. And then they will create refineries for hydrogen rather than the engines that could do it itself. This is imperialism at it's most evil I'm afraid. Profit before environment.
B0ycey wrote:I agree with this. Look at the company who have invested in this technology. I think everyone can see Hydrogen is the fuel of the future. And we have it in spades within water.

But extracting it takes energy. How much, I don't know. Same with compressing it.
There are a number of unresolved problems with electric cars. Can it ever be sustainable to produce hundreds of millions of very powerful lithium batteries?

And then there are technical issues. Batteries aren't as safe as we like to think:

Tesla bursts into flames after fatal crash in Switzerland

“The violent impact of Lithium-ion batteries could probably have caused a phenomenon called ‘thermal runaway,’ i.e. a rapid and unstoppable increase in temperature,” the fire crew wrote on their Facebook page following the crash.
:eh: I do not think anyone was saying that electric cars were safer. They certainly aren't any more dangerous than gasoline powered cars.
Godstud wrote::eh: I do not think anyone was saying that electric cars were safer. They certainly aren't any more dangerous than gasoline powered cars.

As is clear from the OP's video, safety is considered a primary obstacle to hydrogen driven cars. This would favor electric cars. However, my example shows that there are safety issues with powerful lithium batteries too. The comparison is between hydrogen and electric, not between electric and gasoline.

@FiveofSwords Edwards' critique does not co[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

70% of Americans view Ukraine as an ally or frien[…]

World War II Day by Day

April 19, Friday Allied troops land on Norway co[…]

My prediction of 100-200K dead is still on track. […]