Did We Just Discover Aliens? Harvard Researchers Think So. - Page 8 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
SolarCross wrote:Well they are astro-physicists and they wrote a paper seriously entertaining the possibility that it was a light-sail and in summary called for more searching for similar objects. In the context of Fermi's paradox and the Drake equation it isn't a stretch at all to say that they expect the existence of alien life.

They might think there are aliens, and they might not. They might have been serious, or they might have thought this would be an amusing study that would get a headline.

And even if we decide that Shmuel Bialy and Abraham Loeb believe in extra-terrestrial lfe, that would not mean that most astrophysicists do, nor would it matter if they did, since that would not affect the science.

Does the probability of life beyond earth offend you?

No, why would it?
If Aliens discovered Earth, it is extremely unlikely that the discovery would have taken place within the time frame of Homo Sapien existence let alone recent history. They would therefore have a very long time to interact with the Earth after its first discovery. Hence if they exist, why are they not already here. The sensible approach is to assume its not an intelligent alien created object.

Now some will say that's wrong, that we should remain open to revising our views. Just because we're certain of something doesn't mean we might be missing some vital fact or perspective. My response to them is always, what about the so called Jewish holocaust? Should that be open to question? Should we be open to revising our views on that? You see frivolous speculation about advanced alien civilisations helps to fuel the scientific gravy train, along with frivolous fantasies about Martian colonies within the foreseeable future. We've got more chance of discovering a hidden Ork colony in the next decade, than we have of starting a human colony on Mars by 2025.

What we are aloud to question. What is fun to speculate on, is decided by the powers that be.
The view of the holocaust is likely to change based upon current anti Israel sentiment. Everything changes and we don’t know much anyway. We don’t even know why our nails grow at different rates despite a lot of research. Seems silly to think we understand the universe if we can’t even solve that.
Victoribus Spolia wrote:Likewise, the Bible is verifiable. The Trinitarian God and His Providential Power has been proven by me on this forum.

Bollocks!

Victoribus Spolia wrote:Non sunt multiplicanda entia sine necessitate My position follows ...

... Occam's Razor.

The explanatory virtue of naturalism:

a) Theism has no explanatory advantage over naturalism, since both appeal to infinite regress, but naturalism is more parsimonious than theism, hence it is preferable.

b) An initial supernatural state is no better, from an explanatory perspective, than an initial natural state (regardless of whether we take the initial state to be necessary or contingent). So, from an explanatory perspective, the hypotheses are again equal, but from a simplicity perspective naturalism wins again.

:lol:
ingliz wrote: Theism has no explanatory advantage over naturalism, since both appeal to infinite regress, but naturalism is more parsimonious than theism, hence it is preferable.

Idealism and non-reductive materialism have the same ontological complexity and are therefore the same according to the law of parsimony.

Idealist theism is not like other dualistic theisms in this regards; however, all non-reductive materialists (regarding mind), which are arguably most these days, actually have a more complex position, ontologically, and therefore violate occam's razor.

This is true on both your points A and B.
B0ycey wrote:are you aware today is Saturday? Time to build snowmen with the kids. Leave the politics for us mere mortals

:lol:

I don't normally post on weekends, you are right, but my wife is showing my daughter how to beat Bowser on Mario 64 which has entirely captivated the rest of the kids, and I have finished my work outside for the day and am making two crocks of my homemade Chili and am at a place where I can stop and was bored.....so you know...

You're probably right though. I will go back from whence I came until Monday.
Victoribus Spolia wrote::lol:

I don't normally post on weekends, you are right, but my wife is showing my daughter how to beat Bowser on Mario 64 which has entirely captivated the rest of the kids, and I have finished my work outside for the day and am making two crocks of my homemade Chili and am at a place where I can stop and was bored.....so you know...

You're probably right though. I will go back from whence I came until Monday.

Don’t let him give you a guilty conscience. Just being there is what is really important to your kids. You still are entitled to some ‘me time’.
One Degree wrote:Don’t let him give you a guilty conscience. Just being there is what is really important to your kids. You still are entitled to some ‘me time’.

Words from PoFos biggest addict. Although I would like to say it is VS who decides not to come on PoFo on the weekend to fulfil family commitments not me guilting him to do so. I might give him a friendly reminder when he strays though. ;)
B0ycey wrote:Words from PoFos biggest addict. Although I would like to say it is VS who decides not to come on PoFo on the weekend to fulfil family commitments not me guilting him to do so. I might give him a friendly reminder when he strays though. ;)

Yes I am but I am not short changing any other obligations. My guess is VS needs this outlet right now and is probably a benefit rather than a distraction from his life.
(Not that I actually have a clue as to his reality. :) )
But yes, I know you meant well. :)

As someone that pays very close attention to Amer[…]

Will @skinster insist on her demand of watching […]

I (still) have a dream

...Kids don't need to drive anywhere to play with[…]

Jared Kushner is inspired by the real estate pote[…]