Carbon Tax in Canada - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Eauz
So, Canada is planning on imposing a carbon tax on provinces coming in 2019.

We've been told that we will be charged $20 per tonne and it will increase each year by $10. They will apparently return some of that money to the people in a form of a tax credit if you are owed money from the government. If you owe money to the government then they will reduce that debt you owe with the amount. Also note that Goods & Service Tax (GST) will still be charged to the price of the product and the carbon tax itself. We will not get the GST amount back though.

Now, I really don't care what the plan is that is used but my problem with it is that it is not actually reducing carbon use and is punishing regular people for existing. I've asked numerous people on forums to writing politicians and none of them can actually answer this except for where is the money. My question to them is, instead of taxing the people and at tax time, give back some money. Why not actually help people make the conversion over to renewable energy and see a significant drop is carbon use within months not years. For example, the tech already exists for electric cars, solar panels and geothermal heating and cooling but you'd be looking at a bill of $150,000. Now, there are some places that offer rebates or assistant to borrow money at a specific interest rate as well. However, people still need to be approved and will end up in more debt.

At the moment, as I said earlier, everyone is talking about where the money would come from. Here is just a short list of money that is available but being improperly used. Canada is not just leaking money, they are letting it flow like a river.

Billions of dollars wasted on the Phoenix system implementation.

Billions to the U.N.

Millions of dollars wasted yearly on paying compounded interest on our national and provincial debts, and does not include the actual debt that needs to be paid.

Millions written off on loans to private companies along with money given to banks during the 2008 crisis.

Millions donated to a private billionaire during a visit to the private island.

Money being spent on frivolous things like gazebos, orange juice, etc.

and the list goes on.

Why are we not able to use this money to help transition Canadians away from carbon use and onto renewable energy instead of taxing us? I just feel that it is just a form of a tax grab instead of taking leadership to reduce our carbon use.
We live in a closed system. We need a global policy, because climate change is a global process.

I just feel that it is just a form of a tax grab instead of taking leadership to reduce our carbon use.
Climate change is a political weapon.
By chrisw
Eauz wrote:Also note that Goods & Service Tax (GST) will still be charged to the price of the product and the carbon tax itself. We will not get the GST amount back though.

Double taxation strikes again! :knife:

What are the alternative options for poorer Canadians who can't afford these price increases?
RhetoricThug wrote:We live in a closed system. We need a global policy, because climate change is a global process.

Climate change is a political weapon.

The ends justifies the means? We don’t need a global policy. Independent global cooperation would do the same job. Using climate change as a political weapon to encourage political globalism is to force one evil onto people as a solution for another unnecessarily. Education and communication is all that is needed and humanity can make it’s choices. There is no need to trick people into authoritarianism through fear.

While the United States does not comment in any wa[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Why are thousands of people trying to force their[…]

There is, or at least used to be, a Royalist Part[…]

Also, the Russians are apparently not fans of Isra[…]