Climate Change Problem Solved - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Sivad wrote:It's not a carbon tax, it's just the standard corporate income tax.

If it is directed solely at fossil fuel companies, and its purpose is to lessen fossil fuel consumption, it is a carbon tax.

And claiming higher corporate taxes will just be passed onto consumers is like the most idiotic wingnut argument ever so lol @ you for parroting stupid wingnut talking points.

It is basic economics. If a company can externalise costs onto society in general or their consumer base, they will do so because this will generate more profits.

The technology isn't expensive or complicated,

You were previously discussing putting R&D money into better AC systems. Are you claiming that this new technology that has yet to be invented will somehow be simpler and cheaper than what we have?

it's just a metamaterial that emits infrared at a certain wavelength.

I was not discussing that.
Pants-of-dog wrote:If it is directed solely at fossil fuel companies, and its purpose is to lessen fossil fuel consumption, it is a carbon tax.

That's not even a carbon tax. A carbon tax is a direct tax on the carbon content of fuels.

It is basic economics. If a company can externalise costs onto society in general or their consumer base, they will do so because this will generate more profits.

Yeah, if it can. Income taxes are difficult to pass on because passing them on would just get you taxed at a higher rate. We could raise corporate income taxes back to where they were in the 50s and 60s and it wouldn't impact prices all that much. Wingnuts try to make this same argument and it just doesn't work.

Are you claiming that this new technology that has yet to be invented will somehow be simpler and cheaper than what we have?

Of course there are innovations waiting to be discovered that would make things cheaper and more efficient, what in the hell are you even arguing here?

I was not discussing that.

That is exactly what we were discussing and you know it.
Sivad wrote:That's not even a carbon tax. A carbon tax is a direct tax on the carbon content of fuels.

And as I already pointed out, your proposal of a tax on carbon profits amounts to the same thing unless there is a clear way to stop carbon comoanies from passing costs onto consumers.

Yeah, if it can. Income taxes are difficult to pass on because passing them on would just get you taxed at a higher rate. We could raise corporate income taxes back to where they were in the 50s and 60s and it wouldn't impact prices all that much. Wingnuts try to make this same argument and it just doesn't work.

Are you proposing a progressive income tax solely for carbon companies?

Of course there are innovations waiting to be discovered that would make things cheaper and more efficient, what in the hell are you even arguing here?

That we do not heed to spend money on yet more techno gizmos that need to be built and transported and otherwise consume fossil fuels, when we could simply mandate that people use existing technology in a more intelligent manner, thereby creating gains in reduction without needing to invest in unproven tech.
RepubliConservative wrote:An honest look at the data says there is no climate change problem.

There. I solved it.

I would love for your claim to be true.

Why should I believe you instead of climatologists?
Pants-of-dog wrote:I also could not think of any reason why @RepubliConservative was correct.

Because RepubliConservative agrees with me, a Christian near genius.
Praise the Lord.
Sivad wrote: If you combine raising wages with environmental regulation you do get a significant overall reduction.
Could you be more specific? Are these regulations going to increase the cost of living and undermine the living wage you proposed?
AFAIK wrote:Could you be more specific? Are these regulations going to increase the cost of living and undermine the living wage you proposed?

There's like a 25:1 disparity between average Western consumption and average consumption levels in the developing world so there's a lot of room to strike a good balance that achieves a substantial net reduction in emissions. The standard of living in the developing world can come way up if we in the West just stop exploiting it for a never ending supply of cheap, worthless consumer junk.
Rancid wrote:I think we need to put our faith in artificial leaf technology to deal with this problem.

Looks like a very promising technology that could really do a lot to mitigate climate change. There are so many different technologies like that that when added together would totally solve the problem. Genocidal rationing and managerial despotism should be the last thing we go to if all else fails, not the first thing we jump to out of mindless panic.
Sivad wrote:

Looks like a very promising technology that could really do a lot to mitigate climate change. There are so many different technologies like that that when added together would totally solve the problem. Genocidal rationing and managerial despotism should be the last thing we go to if all else fails, not the first thing we jump to out of mindless panic.

I agree 100% that the worst case climate change scenario will NOT result in the extinction of humanity. that said, a lot of (mostly poor) people would most certainly suffer.
Rancid wrote:I agree 100% that the worst case climate change scenario will NOT result in the extinction of humanity. that said, a lot of (mostly poor) people would most certainly suffer.

They're already suffering horribly under neoliberal policies so I don't see how giving liberals more control is gonna help those people? Liberals don't give a fuck about those people so I guarantee you their concern over climate change has nothing to do with human suffering.
Sivad wrote:Looks like a very promising technology that could really do a lot to mitigate climate change. There are so many different technologies like that that when added together would totally solve the problem. Genocidal rationing and managerial despotism should be the last thing we go to if all else fails, not the first thing we jump to out of mindless panic.

There is nothing man can do to mitigate climate change because climate change has been devised by the Creator God. We can only learn to live with it.
Praise and glory to God.
Hindsite wrote:There is nothing man can do to mitigate climate change because climate change has been devised by the Creator God. We can only learn to live with it.
Praise and glory to God.

LOL!!!

Those with paper bags over their heads never give any other "answer..."

Co2 has NOTHING to do with Earth climate change. Start with this question....

WHY does one Earth polar circle, the Antarctic, have 9 times the ice of the other?

The main issue for Earth climate right now is the tectonic direction of Greenland, which was moving NW but now may be moving slightly south as the growth of the Arctic Ocean is now "faster" than the Atlantic....
LaDexter wrote:LOL!!!

Those with paper bags over their heads never give any other "answer..."

Co2 has NOTHING to do with Earth climate change. Start with this question....

WHY does one Earth polar circle, the Antarctic, have 9 times the ice of the other?

The main issue for Earth climate right now is the tectonic direction of Greenland, which was moving NW but now may be moving slightly south as the growth of the Arctic Ocean is now "faster" than the Atlantic....

I don't give a rat's ass because I can't do anything about it and neither can you or anybody else.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I haven't bothered to watch all of this video. The[…]

At first, I thought @FiveofSwords was a legit wh[…]

The enemies of freedom are strong in this topic. […]

https://twitter.com/GAMZIRI24/status/1782513808746[…]